Author Topic: E15 fuel released, but no one should use it  (Read 13045 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
E15 fuel released, but no one should use it
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

Kinda funny how the GM vehicle group isn't warning people off of E15, despite Ford, BMW, Honda and many others.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: E15 fuel released, but no one should use it
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
Gorramit! SON OF A BITCH EPA BASTARDS

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Luckily my truck is flex fuel. I use that as my excuse to park in any "alternative fuel vehicle" spots I see.
 I think the wife's flex won't take anything more than E10 though, not sure, ill hafta look.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I don't even use E10 if I can help it. There are a couple local stations that sell ethanol free fuel, I buy it from them.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »
I don't even use E10 if I can help it. There are a couple local stations that sell ethanol free fuel, I buy it from them.

Same here.  However, in my town during the winter months 10% is mandatory at all levels.  I have to go out of town for ethanol free.  In the summer it is only in premium fuel.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Crap!  None of my vehicles are rated for E10, let alone that E15 *expletive deleted*it.  Going to have to be real careful where I fill up the pickup from now on.

I'd burned the rings/piston on a riding mower, string trimmer and chainsaw on E10, before finding the one station within 50 miles that sells straight gas.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
Crap!  None of my vehicles are rated for E10, let alone that E15 *expletive deleted*.  Going to have to be real careful where I fill up the pickup from now on.

I'd burned the rings/piston on a riding mower, string trimmer and chainsaw on E10, before finding the one station within 50 miles that sells straight gas.

For low volume on a trimmer or chainsaw, it might be worth it to remove the ethanol through phase separation. Add about 5% water to the gas, shake the can, let it sit overnight, and pour off the gas leaving the water/ethanol mix at the bottom.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
The produces of fuel ethanol have BOUGHT both state and Federal legislatures to mandate dilution of our fuel, and the Obama administration LOVES it as it helps diminish America.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

The liars claim that there's only a 3% fuel economy penalty with 10% dilution . . .

Nope.

In testing by myself and colleagues, the mileage penalty is 2 - 4 times greater.

%$#@! liars.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Crap!  None of my vehicles are rated for E10, let alone that E15 *expletive deleted*.  Going to have to be real careful where I fill up the pickup from now on.

I haven't had problems like that, but I have replaced plenty of fuel lines, fuel filters, and rebuilt carbs due to ethanol eating the rubber, seals, and gumming them up.

Haven't had any problems in our vehicles from 10% ethanol but I suspect that is due to frequent cycling of the fuel through them since we drive them most every day.

Sounds like some of your issues may be from fuel with a lot more than 10% ethanol in it due to a supplier screwup.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »
The closest place for me to buy non-ethanol gas is about 12 miles away. I usually fill 3 5 gallon cans and my pickup when I go. I use the pure gas in all my small engine stuff and if I have to put E10 in anything else I add Sta-bil ethanol treatment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
I haven't seen a non-ethanol station for several years. What brand (or non-brand) should I be looking for?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
I haven't seen a non-ethanol station for several years. What brand (or non-brand) should I be looking for?

Can't speak to your area but around here it varies wildly.  One Cenex station but not the others has it sometimes.  One indy Conoco station does, and randomly other stations do on no pattern I can discerne.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
Every time I see someone touting E15, I get the urge to burn down Iowa....  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

A quick google came up with this site:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
E10 has been hell on the boating industry, and I'd argue it's possibly contributory to several deaths.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »
Every time I see someone touting E15, I get the urge to burn down Iowa....  :mad:

I think Charby might get a bit upset with you if you did that.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »

I just gave him fair warning.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 09:03:29 AM »

Then how about South Dakota?  I saw ethanol production facilities there.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »
Then how about South Dakota?  I saw ethanol production facilities there.

So is Harley-Davidson & Sturgis.....don't really want to get on the bikers' bad side....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
So is Harley-Davidson & Sturgis.....don't really want to get on the bikers' bad side....

Iowa it is then !!!

I'm in Illinois, there's nowhere here that you can find pure gas anymore.  Everything is E10.  And yeah E15 will kill your vehicle.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
It is pretty much a given that you cannot consistently find pure gas anywhere in Western Washington.  The refineries up in Anacortes, Cherry Point and Tacoma add ethanol to all of the gas.  There are some stations in Central and Eastern Washington that get pure gasoline from refineries/jobbers in Wyoming and Montana.  I have not yet seen E-15 in this area. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
E10 has been hell on the boating industry, and I'd argue it's possibly contributory to several deaths.

Its also been very troublesome in general aviation. Ive got a mogas STC for my Cessna but 10% ethanol not to mention 15% is unusable due to various issues

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Its also been very troublesome in general aviation. Ive got a mogas STC for my Cessna but 10% ethanol not to mention 15% is unusable due to various issues

Not sure what it does to plane engines.  It has caused a number of boat fires.  No idea what the actual numbers might be, but when it eats up seals and through older gas tanks 50 miles off shore there might not be a boat left to inspect.
JD

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »

I've heard E-gas is banned by the FAA for general aviation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Not sure what it does to plane engines.  It has caused a number of boat fires.  No idea what the actual numbers might be, but when it eats up seals and through older gas tanks 50 miles off shore there might not be a boat left to inspect.

For my example my D model 182 has fuel bladders that it would eat like candy...not to mention the rest of the fuel delivery system, carb and so forth.