Author Topic: When can the US Government assasinate Americans?  (Read 22527 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: When can the US Government assasinate Americans?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »
So...

Were we to all agree on a uniform before things get ugly in the USA, that might be a good idea?  =D
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
So...

Were we to all agree on a uniform before things get ugly in the USA, that might be a good idea?  =D

Zardoz pic in 3 . .2 . .1 . .
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
Sorry, but no one at the time believed that shooting Castro or Yamamoto would've been legal if either escaped to Paris and hidden their identities, to avoid punishment by war crimes tribunals.  Those are examples of leadership strikes confined by territorial and conflict limits.  

This is a very, very different legal theory.
Would there have been any outcry if a bomb were dropped on the station Tokyo Rose was broadcasting from?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
Would there have been any outcry if a bomb were dropped on the station Tokyo Rose was broadcasting from?

No, for the same reason.

What if a bomb were dropped on a house in London suspected of being the location of someone who used to be Tokyo rose?  And if the only proof the government offered was 'we believe that was the person. We aren't saying why."?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »
I'm rapidly changing my mind on this issue, and starting to agree with deselby

Especially considering the recent rhetoric about "right Wong terror groups" and "disgruntled gun owners" being used as the enemy in military exercises

It's very troubling

Also, where's the outrage from the left? They were up in arms about water boarding, calling for impeachment and *expletive deleted*, but they're fine with assassination?

Pretty sure I'd rather be water boarded than dead
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
Can someone describe how the SCOTUS could be asked to step in and affirm that this practice is not permitted?  The Justice department goons who came up with this poop should be fired, stripped of their pensions, and locked up.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Can someone describe how the SCOTUS could be asked to step in and affirm that this practice is not permitted?  The Justice department goons who came up with this poop should be fired, stripped of their pensions, and locked up.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but I suspect that there would first need to be a ruling that the FedGov and DoD does not have sovereign immunity in such cases.

Following that, civil suits can be filed for wrongful death and violation of civil rights. [I am using the Kent State student killings/conflict as a rough guide where such suits were filed by the parents and ACLU.] In this case, these are Tort civil cases rather than criminal prosecution. As for a criminal prosecution, I think only the Executive branch or Congress itself can force such action against the Office of the President and DoD.

At the highest level, I don't think the SC can't impeach the president or cabinet members in order to force criminal prosecution of subordinates, only Congress can do this. Neither Rs nor Ds are interested in anything of the sort.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

Plus, it is pretty hard to blow up the wrong person or not-so/innocent bystanders with waterboarding.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »
Plus, it is pretty hard to blow up the wrong person or not-so/innocent bystanders with waterboarding.

Plus, there are no inconvenient witnesses to later testify at a war crime tribunal if they blown to bits.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Also, where's the outrage from the left? They were up in arms about water boarding, calling for impeachment and *expletive deleted*, but they're fine with assassination?

This - Obama's policy on enemy combatants is actually far more radical than bush's, yet there's not a peep from his supporters about it.  I'm surprised the white paper even made news.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
So this is an aspect of Bush and Obama's war policies that don't get me upset.

If a citizen is on foreign soil and is in an enemy war camp (not reasonably able to be captured, as the legal docs put it); then attacking and killing said person in the course of war operations is expected. If they are making war on the US from a foreign location, then it is nonsensical to try and send in the FBI to foreign soil for a raid.

Maybe the current legal situation lacks checks and balances / oversight; but that is an entirely different argument. It seems the current argument is calling the drone assassinations completely illegitimate on the face.

"Not reasonably able to be captured" + "Officer safety" = "Dude's in a trailer in Montana with some guns, so we'd be in danger if we try to arrest him. Just drone his ass." Nothing in that paper explicitly forbids actions on American soil.

And yeah, killing an American citizen solely because some high ranking fed.gov official is pretty sure he's affilliated in some way with a group that's affilliated in some way with Al Queda is absolutely wrong on its face.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
Yeah, I want a guy like this to have the power to point his finger at me and have me blown up, legally, if he so sees it fit. No evidence, no oversight, no restraints, NO ACCOUNTABILITY... he just has to get it in his head that I am THINKING about "attacking the US" sometime in the future, and that capture would be less convenient than a hellfire missile.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
Reading the paper, they took all of the imminence out of imminent threat.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
They haven't thought this thru to its logical conclusion.
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:56 AM »
Given the recent spate of white papers on using troops against American citizens(specifically conservative gun owners), practices against "enemy combatants" consisting of Americans etc...

I'd say maybe they have.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »
There have been a few "natural gas" explosions in the recent past that had some sketchy details.
Hmmmm.... [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
There have been a few "natural gas" explosions in the recent past that had some sketchy details.
Hmmmm.... [tinfoil]

Makes one wonder how the Branch Davidian thing would have turned out had drones been available.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
Makes one wonder how the Branch Davidian thing would have turned out had drones been available.....

If history is any guide, there will be another Branch Davidian-like event at some point.  We will see how things go when it happens.  And we will probably not like it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »

Just as many dead kids.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
Yep. The presence of kids doesn't make a drone strike a No-Go. Ask the Pakistanis.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
Just as many dead kids.

Obama literally blows up little kids from the sky, and sells guns to Mexican drug gangs, and somehow he's the compassionate alternative to republicans.

Nutty as he is, Ron Paul is the only person with a shred of sanity that stood for election.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
When can the US Government assasinate Americans?

Anytime they want, apparently  :mad:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
Beware Caesar, thou art mortal.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
Obama literally blows up little kids from the sky, and sells guns to Mexican drug gangs, and somehow he's the compassionate alternative to republicans.

Nutty as he is, Ron Paul is the only person with a shred of sanity that stood for election.

The Wallaby Contingent writes truth. 

I always thought McCain was the farthest extreme of the War Party in US politics, but I doubt he would have gone as far as BHO has.  If he had, the MSM and "Anti-War*" protesters would have attenuated his behavior a bit. 

* 99.9% of the Bush-Era "Anti-War Protesters" were mere partisan hacks.  Where are they all now that BHO has re-classified every collateral non-targeted male killed by a drone strike as a hostile?  And then they claim a dramatic reduction of innocent folks killed by drone strikes.  Sounds an awful lot like the classic example of chutzpa: A double parricide demanding mercy from the court due to his orphaned state.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »
This - Obama's policy on enemy combatants is actually far more radical than bush's, yet there's not a peep from his supporters about it.  I'm surprised the white paper even made news.

I was stunned to read a column by Eugene Robinson in which he condemned Obama for killing American citizens with drones, without judge or trial. He didn't seem concerned about collateral damage (kids, etc).