Author Topic: Flashlight suggestions?  (Read 10601 times)

Lee

• friend
Flashlight suggestions?
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
I've got a bunch of smaller flashlights, some cheap, some not so much.
I let the batteries go to hell in the three cell mag light I kept next to the bed for many years. I can't even get the end cap off. Anyway, what are the best options these days for a big, bright flashlight that can double as a club? I don't want anything that needs to be plugged in.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Flashlight suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
Maglite or Streamlite also makes a big 'un. Maglite is by far the cheapest...

That's about it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
Sorry, I left out the fact that my old one is a Maglite. I don't care if the cost goes up a bit.  I'd like to step up to something a little, or a lot, brighter, that is still a club.  Are the Streamlites pretty rugged? 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
I've got a Maglite knockoff; 3W LED, nicely knurled heavy aluminum tube, that takes 3 D cells.  Paid about $25 for it at Menard's.  I think the brand is "Guidesman" and it says ProtectoR on the side up by the switch -- I guess that's the model name.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
I used to have a five cell maglite, IDK if they still make them but it was pretty awesome.
I see some of the newer big lights like that have LED bulbs, with a 5 cell LED maglite I bet it would work fine for both illumination and social work.

I've used both maglites and surefires in physical confrontations, I found that using a small metal surefire as a kubotan made for better relations with responding PD then did the 5 D cell maglite which got me a night in jail... ( but not convicted )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
Maglight has an LED option which should prove a lot brighter than the krypton bulbs..  Best light I've  owned which  can double as an impact weapon.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
http://www.maglite.com/product.asp?psc=6DCELL

The 5 cell one I had you could get the optional halogen bulb which was really bright, but this six cell one....oooooh now I want one!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
I would buy a maglite and upgrade the head then. Malkoff makes a good one. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/36-dcell-dropin-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html  Take note that it has to be an incadescent bulb model for the conversion to fit, not an LED one.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Maglite.   

Avoid the krypton ones,   LED is magnitudes brighter and more efficient.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll be shoppin tomorrow.  That Malkoff device looks kinda interesting.  Might be a bit overkill for my needs, but I might order one anyway just to experiment.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-1000-lumen-xm-l-t6-maglite-mod-voltage-monitor-parts-complete-light-59581.html - 1,000 lumens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWJ4JHuyyc

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?185777-Black-Bear-Flashlights - love for Blackbear flashlights

www.candlepowerforums.com - if you can dream it someone has done it already

http://www.monsterflashlight.com - a bit more mainstream but they do have a 3300 lumen battle mace ( http://shop.monsterflashlight.com/Monster-Flashlight-PowerStar-Cree-3xU2-3300-Lumens-Max-5-Mode-PowerStar.htm )

Truth is I'm still happy with my Blackbear 950 I got when he first started making them.  I've got lights with more lumens, that can throw a beam farther, that use fewer and newer-technology batteries, but none of them double as a club as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
That's some amazing stuff.  The OCD side of me is coming out looking at those links.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »
I've got a bunch of smaller flashlights, some cheap, some not so much.
I let the batteries go to hell in the three cell mag light I kept next to the bed for many years. I can't even get the end cap off. Anyway, what are the best options these days for a big, bright flashlight that can double as a club? I don't want anything that needs to be plugged in.

Side note: Rav-O-Vac bought me a new maglight after two of their D cells toasted mine.  I was told that usually they had to have the product back for inspection, but in this case the picture I provided was sufficient evidence.  Two weeks later, I got 2 new Ray-O-Vac batteries and a check for the maglight.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
Sorry, I left out the fact that my old one is a Maglite. I don't care if the cost goes up a bit.  I'd like to step up to something a little, or a lot, brighter, that is still a club.  Are the Streamlites pretty rugged? 

Get the new Maglite LED. Far FAR brighter than the old (original) Maglites.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
Lee, one idea if you're looking for having the option to have the ability to dispense "Maglite Shampoo", is to get one of the LED upgrades designed for 2 D cells, and put in a lightweight PVC spacer with a conductor wire in it, and place the batteries down by the tailcap.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
I used to have a five cell maglite, IDK if they still make them but it was pretty awesome.
I see some of the newer big lights like that have LED bulbs, with a 5 cell LED maglite I bet it would work fine for both illumination and social work.

I've used both maglites and surefires in physical confrontations, I found that using a small metal surefire as a kubotan made for better relations with responding PD then did the 5 D cell maglite which got me a night in jail... ( but not convicted )

A friend showed me his surefire fury a short time ago. I was so impressed with it that i ordered one. Never thought id ever pay $100for a flashlight...http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-P2X-Fury-Dual-Output/dp/B006NKLRW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361025742&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire+fury
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:43:11 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:04 AM »
I would buy a maglite and upgrade the head then. Malkoff makes a good one. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/36-dcell-dropin-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html  Take note that it has to be an incadescent bulb model for the conversion to fit, not an LED one.

if accurate, that is about twice as many lumens as the maglight 3watt led conversion that i have.  sounds like a good deal if you want a bright nightstick.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
I do not know how good it is, but a smith and wesson cree based light is on woot today:

http://sport.woot.com/offers/smith-wesson-tactical-cree-led-2?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=01296cdd50-Daily+Digest+-+20130216+-+Sport.Woot&utm_medium=email#tracked

S&W lights like most other brands *expletive deleted* the bed after a while. My rule on S&W is their guns and handcuffs are quality products but run from the S&W branded knives, flashlights, boots, watches, and so forth.

Personally I only buy surefire these days because I like my flashlights to work (the G2 series isnt horribly expensive and they work well for handheld or longgun lights) but OP wanted a club and Maglight or the big Stream lights are the way to go for that.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
S&W lights like most other brands *expletive deleted* the bed after a while. My rule on S&W is their guns and handcuffs are quality products but run from the S&W branded knives, flashlights, boots, watches, and so forth.

Personally I only buy surefire these days because I like my flashlights to work (the G2 series isnt horribly expensive and they work well for handheld or longgun lights) but OP wanted a club and Maglight or the big Stream lights are the way to go for that.
Most of the gun companies "other stuff" is junk with their name/logo slapped on the side. There are some exceptions, but they're few and far between.

+1 on the Surefire. Damn nice flashlights. Little pricy but worth it for the quality, and not badly priced compared to similar lights.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
Another vote for a Maglite.  Just a note on size, the large ones can get a little bulky to swing easily.  I have a six cell and having experimented with swinging that I always felt I was at risk of hyper extending my wrist.  If you have wrists like a gorilla (I don't) you'd probably be less worried about that.  And they are a little harder to recover for a follow up.  I think a three cell is about the perfect balance between handiness and bashing ability.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
In terms of toughness, lightweight, LED lighting, battery life and possible social purposes, I now carry these in all my vehicles and have a couple more by the bed and front door.  $ 25 at my local Home Depot with 3 C cells and settings of 140 and 80 lumens:

http://www.homedepot.com/Rayovac/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ196/R-202968172/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=flashlight&storeId=10051#.UR-8iaXYdzg

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:11:09 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
Another vote for a Maglite.  Just a note on size, the large ones can get a little bulky to swing easily.  I have a six cell and having experimented with swinging that I always felt I was at risk of hyper extending my wrist.  If you have wrists like a gorilla (I don't) you'd probably be less worried about that. 

I took a course to be qualified to carry a nightstick as a CA security guard. The instructor was also the same guy who taught LE.
He said that you have to practice, just like any other self defense skill.

My 5 cell was plenty heavy, excellent point.

In CA a nightstick/baton is a felony, but a flashlight is a flashlight. ... until it isn't.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Another vote for a Maglite.  Just a note on size, the large ones can get a little bulky to swing easily.  I have a six cell and having experimented with swinging that I always felt I was at risk of hyper extending my wrist.  If you have wrists like a gorilla (I don't) you'd probably be less worried about that.  And they are a little harder to recover for a follow up.  I think a three cell is about the perfect balance between handiness and bashing ability.

The 5C Maglite was the perfect size.  Houston PD used to carry them for nightsticks.  I had one that I bought 35 years ago, and batteries leaked in it last year and ruined it.  I sent it back to Mag and they replaced it with a 4C because they don't make the 5C anymore :( 
"It's good, though..."