Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166999 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:53:14 PM by birdman »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
I think we're probably too early to wade into that conversation, and we should be careful how far over that way we speculate in a public forum, IMHO. [tinfoil]

OK, later.

It's not April 19th.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
Radio was playing live feed of teevee nooz, wall to wall coverage.  About made me want to yack the way they played it up.  "All eyes were on Boston for the marathon."  Really?  I didn't know it was today.  And more & more in that vein, plus what I suspect was the nooz bimbo describing some feed from near the location. "Here is a man with blood running down his face...."

All in all not a confidence-inspiring 15 minute drive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »
I think we're probably too early to wade into that conversation, and we should be careful how far over that way we speculate in a public forum, IMHO. [tinfoil]

As I was driving home I had NPR on the radio; "Marketplace", I think.  An older woman called in and talked about the Newtown memorial at mile marker 26, and we're finally starting to get meaningful gun laws and the gun lobby goes and does something like this.  She didn't say "NRA" but it was implied.  The host let it go unchallenged.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
So how does cell phone service in a given area get shut off?  The carriers flip a few switches and the towers are disabled?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
Hate to throw more speculation into the fire....but could this be the "launch" that the Norks have threatened?....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »
So how does cell phone service in a given area get shut off?  The carriers flip a few switches and the towers are disabled?

The carriers are all denying that this happened

More likely it's the usual post-disaster surge overwhelming the infrastructure
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
Yes and no.

Carriers have agreements with local and state governments to allocate additional tower bandwidth in the event of bona-fide emergencies.

It happened to us in Florida during Hurricanes Jeanne and Frances.  The explanation was that those frequencies were being used for evacuation efforts.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »

The carriers are all denying that this happened

More likely it's the usual post-disaster surge overwhelming the infrastructure

+1. Once upon a time, I worked with Emergency Management Agency, and was told exactly this.  In a real emergency, forget  cell phone calls.  Texts have a better channce of working.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »
Bonus points for the first person who can explain why texts sometimes work when voice service doesn't ....
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
Bonus points for the first person who can explain why texts sometimes work when voice service doesn't ....

requires less bandwidth
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
requires less bandwidth

Well yeah it does, but that's not the whole story
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
Text messages just use empty space in messages your cell phone is constantly chattering to/from the tower anyway.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Text messages just use empty space in messages your cell phone is constantly chattering to/from the tower anyway.

Ding ding ding

Control channels pass info to/from the phone, handle handoffs between towers, etc. they don't carry voice traffic. SMS is sent over this control channel when it is available.

All the frequencies for voice can be jammed up solid and sometimes you can still get an SMs through
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

Ding ding ding

Control channels pass info to/from the phone, handle handoffs between towers, etc. they don't carry voice traffic. SMS is sent over this control channel when it is available.

All the frequencies for voice can be jammed up solid and sometimes you can still get an SMs through

Correction, there are frequencies, and there are codes/time chips (depending if its CDMA/TDMA)...so all the frequencies could be used, but the cell could still be at low usage.
Frequencies are typically allocated (in groups) to ensure minimal cross/talk co-utilization tower to tower, time/code division within a cell for all the packets.

Otherwise, you are exactly right.  That is also the reason why SMS is character limited as its limited to the size of the corresponding control packet length.

So what you meant was that "all the bandwidth for multiple calls/data transmissions can be in use, and you can still get a SMS through"

The reason why is those channels are designed (and technically always are) serving the maximum number of devices in that area. 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

Ding ding ding

Burst of packets make it through,   real time voice call doesn't,  unless I'm mistaken.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Burst of packets make it through,   real time voice call doesn't,  unless I'm mistaken.

I mean, you're right, but the central point here is that the voice traffic is on separate channels from SMS
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
I did not know SMS traveled on an expedited (control) flow rather than data.  I thought it was just a much smaller packet.  If anything, I tho't voice was higher priority because of the real-time thing.
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
I did not know SMS traveled on an expedited (control) flow rather than data.  I thought it was just a much smaller packet.  If anything, I tho't voice was higher priority because of the real-time thing.

Yeah, but even though its going alon with control traffic, it's only when those channels are dormant.

The advantageous thing is that most people, if they can't use voice, assume SMS is out too... So the amount of folks attempting SMs is greatly decreased
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
Someone at work pointed out, that if terrorists really wanted to be effective, they would set off one of these in a different city every day until...forever, essentially. Let's hope he's not right and we don't see any repeats.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
Had a friend near the blast. She's fine, but shook up. Has photos of the blast site, minutes before. If you collected  time stamped pictures and vid, could probably make a pretty accurate 3D model of what happened.

Folks, hold off on the pointless speculation.  Whether this was the next OKC or Islamic terrorism, it'll come out in due time.  Some folks didn't even wait for the bodies to cool before starting their baseless speculation.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
The Boston Marathon's Final Mile Was Dedicated to Newtown Victims

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/boston-marathons-final-mile-was-dedicated-newtown-victims/64250/
Update, 4:07 p.m. Eastern: Newtown families were reportedly seated in the VIP section right by where the explosions went off. There's no word whether they are among the 23 injured and two dead from the explosions.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »
Glad to hear your friend is okay RevDisk, make sure she has someone close to her that she can talk to or just be with for a bit.

Yeah, but even though its going alon with control traffic, it's only when those channels are dormant.

The advantageous thing is that most people, if they can't use voice, assume SMS is out too... So the amount of folks attempting SMs is greatly decreased

I think perhaps the disaster training folks should start including info regarding using texts to contact people instead of voice lines if at all possible. Get society in general trained over to such to help improve communications and response in future emergencies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2013, 01:16:46 AM »
As I was driving home I had NPR on the radio; "Marketplace", I think.  An older woman called in and talked about the Newtown memorial at mile marker 26, and we're finally starting to get meaningful gun laws and the gun lobby goes and does something like this.  She didn't say "NRA" but it was implied.  The host let it go unchallenged.

Someone thought "the gun lobby" did that? The mind boggles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »

Someone thought "the gun lobby" did that? The mind boggles.

And that would be the sound of the spin being fired up. *sigh*