Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166982 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »
1. This sort of incident, if done wholesale, could be mighty disruptive in ways more spectacular incidents are not.

2. Despite leos on the ground, regular folk are still the real first responders.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/04/report-police-have-video-of-suspect-dropping-bombs-in-trash-cans/

If you click through on that to the confirmation link, in one of the updates, an "expert" says its more likely domestic terror, not a "global terrorist group" {AQ}, as the early reports say the devices were "crudely made"

Queue the spin.

What if it was?  And they were "crudely made" {BP pipe bomb?}...what then?  
I'm sorry, but these little insertions in "news" lead me to believe that:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/foghorn/boston-bombings-may-spark-restrictions-on-reloading-components-tannerite/
..."for the children".  The same way high-N fertilizer became watched/limited after OKC.  But the truth will come out...eventually,

I don't think its too early to be wary of how this is spun by media and pols, the news is already slanting IMHO.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »
If you click through on that to the confirmation link, in one of the updates, an "expert" says its more likely domestic terror, not a "global terrorist group" {AQ}, as the early reports say the devices were "crudely made"

Queue the spin.

What if it was?  And they were "crudely made" {BP pipe bomb?}...what then?  
I'm sorry, but these little insertions in "news" lead me to believe that:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/foghorn/boston-bombings-may-spark-restrictions-on-reloading-components-tannerite/
..."for the children".  The same way high-N fertilizer became watched/limited after OKC.  But the truth will come out...eventually,

I don't think its too early to be wary of how this is spun by media and pols, the news is already slanting IMHO.

I would agree with that. We've done a pretty good job at knocking off AQ's et alii premiere bomb makers but anyone with even a modicum of the training available (I've actually read AQ's official bomb making training manual) could have made a couple trips to home depot and walgreens and produced proper primary and secondary explosives and built a far, far more devastating device.

I suppose we actually got off somewhat lucky that it was amateur hour in Boston yesterday, as little comfort as that provides.  =|

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
I saw tannerite in the URL at Birdman's link, but the article didn't mention it. Has there been any official statement regarding composition of the devices?

If they were black powder, I could certainly see legislation introduced to highly restrict ALL propellants. It's even easier to sell than "assault weapon". If you think people don't know the difference between the same mechanism housed in either a wood or black plastic stock, try explaining the difference between gunpowder and gun propellant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
I saw tannerite in the URL at Birdman's link, but the article didn't mention it. Has there been any official statement regarding composition of the devices?

If they were black powder, I could certainly see legislation introduced to highly restrict ALL propellants. It's even easier to sell than "assault weapon". If you think people don't know the difference between the same mechanism housed in either a wood or black plastic stock, try explaining the difference between gunpowder and gun propellant.

I believe tannerite was mentioned as you can be sure any response to limit/monitor BP, would include tannerite, because ZOMG EXPLOSIVES (gratuitous links to things like boomershoot and the myriad of home YouTube videos).  Of course to your point, propellants would also be included, because all gun powder is the same right?

Also, easy side effect of implicitly regulating the ZOMG YOU CAN BUY BP GUNS OVER THE INTERNET--guns are guns right? 

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

I don't think that's an opinion.  It's rather overt.  They are making it very clear and drawing direct links and stating that this is a tax protest, a gun control protest, and was planted at the finish line because some of the families from Connecticut were there.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
Listened to the press conference.   [barf]

Whatever they know they are not saying.  And they were quite loud in saying that they were not going to say anything.  [tinfoil]

The best part of the presser was when the head of Mass State Police got up and announced that the hightened presence of local, state and federal cops, plus NG troops, not only in the Copley Square area but throughout downtown Boston, all over the T system, and out at the airport, was "to comfort the public".  He came right out and said there was nothing that could be done to prevent another bomb from being exploded - that the best they might do is once they knew who did it they could watch his/her associates and maybe trick them into a sting operation.

You spend your whole life waiting for a politician/bureaucrat to say something honest, open and direct - and this is what you get when it finally happens? :facepalm:

stay safe.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:00:07 AM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
I don't think that's an opinion.  It's rather overt.  They are making it very clear and drawing direct links and stating that this is a tax protest, a gun control protest, and was planted at the finish line because some of the families from Connecticut were there.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/axelrod-obama-thinks-boston-bombings-could-be-related-tax-day_717924.html

Wonderful, so axelrod says we shouldn't draw inferences, we don't know who it was, but (got to love but's)
You use those words and it means something very specific in people's mind. And I'm sure what was going through the president's mind is -- we really don't know who did this -- it was tax day. Was it someone who was pro--you know, you just don't know. And so I think his attitude is, let's not put any inference into this, let's just make clear that we're going to get the people responsible.
Emphasis mine.

Yeah, thanks Dave, "don't go drawing inferences"...except when it could point at your political enemies.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
Just watched the live stream of his speech now.

"We don't know a damned thing." is the message of the day.
 :facepalm:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »
"We don't know" is usually where an investigation is less than 24 hours after a major criminal act occurs, despite what C.S.I. teaches us about the process. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

birdman

• friend
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
But wait, there's more!
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2013/0416/Boston-Marathon-bombing-Feds-raid-apartment-police-seek-rental-van-video
One thing is clear: The bomber or bombers were not highly skilled. The explosive devices were relatively crude compared with those produced overseas by Al Qaeda or other radical Islamist terrorist groups, RAND Corp. terror expert Brian Jenkins told Los Angeles television. They were much smaller than the powerful truck bomb that Timothy McVeigh used to devastate the federal building in Oklahoma City in April 1995.

In that sense they were analogous to the pipe bombs that killed two and injured 100 in 1996 at Atlanta’s Centennial Park during the Olympics.

The fact that the target was an event of great significance to Boston but not particularly significant to the wider world could indicate that the bomber was a local or at least a native of the United States. The explosions occurred on April 15, tax day, which could be a further indication of a domestic connection.

But the bombs were not directed against a government building or institution, which is often a hallmark of disaffected, lone-wolf domestic terrorists, noted some terrorism analysts. And the style of the attack, in which one explosion was closely followed by another, mimics that used by numerous groups in the Middle East.

And more
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2013/0415/Boston-Marathon-bombings-What-could-the-motives-have-been?nav=657043-csm_article-bottomRelated
National security analyst Peter Bergen said on CNN that the attack could be the work of “right-wing extremists.” For the so-called patriot groups, anything from tax day to the heated national debate on gun regulations could have been the triggers for such an attack.

(Emphasis mine)
Wow, less than 24hrs and its already point fingers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:47:59 AM by birdman »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
"We don't know" is usually where an investigation is less than 24 hours after a major criminal act occurs, despite what C.S.I. teaches us about the process. 

Yeah, except for the WTC/Pentagon attacks on 9-11-2011   ;)

(Actually, the TV shows teach us that the first suspect will always be the wrong guy  :lol: )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »

(Actually, the TV shows teach us that the first suspect will always be the wrong guy  :lol: )

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't AQ take responsibility very quickly?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »

I dunno, Columbo was pretty good at zeroing-in on the right guy right off the bat.   :police:
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't AQ take responsibility very quickly?

I don't remember that.

I just remember that the feds had OBL blamed by the end of the day.

I recall that it was: seat numbers == guys on watch list == AQ/OBL  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
I don't remember that.

I just remember that the feds had OBL blamed by the end of the day.

I recall that it was: seat numbers == guys on watch list == AQ/OBL  =|

I mean, that seems like a fairly easy connection to make. If the folks reported by the airline (as mentioned in that wiki) are known associates of AQ/BL, then it's a pretty easy conclusion
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
I just heard on CNN, one of the bombs was contained in a pressure cooker, inside a backpack, FWIW.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

birdman

• friend
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
I just heard on CNN, one of the bombs was contained in a pressure cooker, inside a backpack, FWIW.

Given that, and the freeze-frames, I'm even more leaning toward BP or similar.

And I'm not the only one:
http://blog.joehuffman.org/2013/04/15/boston-explosives/
joe is right on with his assessments of the stills and video in terms of assessing material.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
That sounds familiar. I seem to recall that the guy who blew himself up (and thankfully no one else) in Stockholm a few years ago had a setup like that. I'm going to do some research...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
When I saw the flash and smoke black powder was the first thing that popped into my mind.

I have a funny feeling that, if that is true, those of us who shoot black powder are going to have a LOT more hoops to jump through before too long.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Didn't Castle and Beckett solve this exact same case a couple years ago  ???

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »
Yeah, it was the reporter.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Yeah, it was the reporter.

Sawdust

Yeah, and her boyfriend.  He got killed, right?