Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166975 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
Here's the timeline from Yahoo.  Seems more accurate then anything else I've seen.

http://news.yahoo.com/glance-search-boston-bomb-suspects-110724951.html

(Although my WTF moment occurred this morning when some reporter on the radio stated that the police in MA had "Pulled over a train" to search for suspect #2.  Now, you can stop a train, divert it to a siding, but you can''t hit the lights and sirens and get it to "pull over".  Morons.  :facepalm: :facepalm:)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
Some of my Facebook friends in Massachusetts are echoing the advice from law enforcement to stay home and lock their doors.  No further advice for if the remaining suspect kicks your door down in a last, desperate gambit to take hostages.  Just be good little sheep and cower in your pens.  :mad:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
If this was a rigged event, do you think that they would pick some radicalized Chechnyan kids?

Depends who's the rigger.

Some of my Facebook friends in Massachusetts are echoing the advice from law enforcement to stay home and lock their doors.  No further advice for if the remaining suspect kicks your door down in a last, desperate gambit to take hostages.  Just be good little sheep and cower in your pens. 

That's for Officer Safety.  Think about it.
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
Kids left Chechnya when they were young, not sure how much they're still tied to the motherland.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Also, the next person that affiliates these jackasses with my school gets blocked, and is likely also the cause of me blowing off this forum like I've done to others in the past.

The low-information conspiracy theory bull crap being spewed makes anyone affiliated with this board look bad, and I think its stupid.

Clean it up, choose your words, and stop with the BS.

If you value my presence here, at all, don't impugn an institution for mere GEOGRAPHIC PROXIMITY to an event.  Hell, the 7-11 robbery was just as close to Harvard, and approximately the same distance to parts of BU.

Can we put the  [tinfoil] away and act like adults?

Ditto on the tin foil, but no one has defamed your school in any way. An MIT cop was killed, right? So that's part of the story now. I hope your friends and colleagues there are ok.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »

Ditto on the tin foil, but no one has defamed your school in any way. An MIT cop was killed, right? So that's part of the story now. I hope your friends and colleagues there are ok.

I'm still checking.  I posted that because an APS member did so on Facebook, and I didn't want his BS here as well.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Posted a couple days ago on 4chan:

Could be Sunil just trying for a little bit more chaos.

Or not. [tinfoil]

You know what? *expletive deleted*ck 4CHAN. They ain't been right about JACK *expletive deleted*ing *expletive deleted*it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm still checking.  I posted that because an APS member did so on Facebook, and I didn't want his BS here as well.

Dude. When I saw an MIT cop had been shot, I wondered if it might be related. No one is impugning anything, and your insistence that the mere thought that anyone attending MIT might have been involved is insulting to you personally somehow is assinine. You really need to calm down.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
Doesn't MIT harbor instruments of math instruction?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #310 on: April 19, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Doesn't MIT harbor instruments of math instruction?   :lol:

Depends on who you ask.  I know a Caltech grad who would say no.  [popcorn]

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #311 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »

That's where I'm keeping all of mine.

I know of zebras in Keller, TX and Vermont.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #312 on: April 19, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
Well, sorry to start the panic buying, but I'm not getting caught flat-footed. Just ordered a 12lb combo of 2F and 3F from Grafs. Two week order processing wait.

Whelp, there goes my dreams of buying a Howda  in a few months, LOL.

Also, the next person that affiliates these jackasses with my school gets blocked, and is likely also the cause of me blowing off this forum like I've done to others in the past.

If you value my presence here, at all, don't

Sounds like you value your presence a whole bunch   =D

birdman

• friend
« Reply #313 on: April 19, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

So far, everyone is okay, one of my friends lived across the street from the two guys, and the initial shoot out occurred outside of the building where quite a few people i am friends with worked.

Dude. When I saw an MIT cop had been shot, I wondered if it might be related. No one is impugning anything, and your insistence that the mere thought that anyone attending MIT might have been involved is insulting to you personally somehow is assinine. You really need to calm down.

No, you didn't just wonder, you implied a connection.  Considering the only reason the university was mentioned was because their LEO was killed, and the initial incident occurred on the campus border, which you could have easily checked, it was tin foil hattery, and implied something about a group of people.

Is it possible that there are radical people that go there, sure, but quite literally everyone I know there doubts that such a person would be not be found out extremely quickly--its a small community, and one that is quite tight, amd actually quite homogeneous in terms of how to solve problems in the world, so by "wondering", you do in fact impugn a group by theoretical association.

I am calm.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:38:51 PM by birdman »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
From
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/19/us-usa-explosions-boston-shooting-idUSBRE93I0GQ20130419
The blasts killed three people and wounded 176 in the worst attack on U.S. soil since the suicide hijacking attacks of September 11, 2001.

Wouldn't ft. Hood be?  Oh yeah, that was "workplace violence"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
 :facepalm:

I have no desire to argue with you over this silliness. Since you've chosen to bring it up here I'll post my actual comment and let folks make their own determination.

Cop shot at the MIT campus. Given the randomness of the marathon bombing and the frat boy appearance of the suspects, I wonder if there's a connection.

And, I must note, there was in fact a connection.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
:facepalm:

I have no desire to argue with you over this silliness. Since you've chosen to bring it up here I'll post my actual comment and let folks make their own determination.

And, I must note, there was in fact a connection.

What was the connection?  They shot the LEO?  That was THE ONLY connection.
You implied by your frat boy comment that they were somehow involved with the college (ie frat boy STUDENTS).  Which they weren't.

If you had left off the latter, you would have been just as correct, and I wouldn't have been bothered by it, as you wouldn't have been implying anything, merely wondering about a fact.  As for frat boy look...just what do you think frat boys look like?  Your wondering  was based on the thought process of frat boy look equals student, cop at school shot, suspects could be students AT THAT SCHOOL.  THAT was the hypothesis that you were implying, which is now shown as totally incorrect, and had been based entirely on some preconceived notion that students at that school would be capable of this.  Lets say they were dressed like Buddhist monks, and then a LEO was shot nearby to an monetary, would you say the same?  Maybe, but wouldn't that impugn Buddhist monks as capable of this atrocity?

And if you have no desire to argue over it, then why are you arguing over it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
Calm down.  :angel:

I think that he was wondering if the MIT shooting was related to the Marathon bombing  ;)

(it was breaking news at the time posted)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
Tallpine, that was the way I read it too, but one should never waste an opportunity to threaten leaving a forum. 

(More often than not, the best value for the forum administrator entertainment dollar)  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Has anyone seen the video of their uncle being interviewed? 
Seems like a good guy, and he has no idea why it happened?

What was the connection?  They shot the LEO?  That was THE ONLY connection.
You implied by your frat boy comment that they were somehow involved with the college (ie frat boy STUDENTS).  Which they weren't.

If you had left off the latter, you would have been just as correct, and I wouldn't have been bothered by it, as you wouldn't have been implying anything, merely wondering about a fact.  As for frat boy look...just what do you think frat boys look like?  Your wondering  was based on the thought process of frat boy look equals student, cop at school shot, suspects could be students AT THAT SCHOOL.  THAT was the hypothesis that you were implying, which is now shown as totally incorrect, and had been based entirely on some preconceived notion that students at that school would be capable of this.  Lets say they were dressed like Buddhist monks, and then a LEO was shot nearby to an monetary, would you say the same?  Maybe, but wouldn't that impugn Buddhist monks as capable of this atrocity?

You're being a drama queen.  
Whether or not your precious alma  mater  was or was not involved is beyond irrelevant in this tragedy.  I'm embarrassed that you're creating such a stink over it.  Get over yourself.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:47:19 PM by Pharmacology »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »

You chose to take something I'd put on facebook and make mischaracterizations about it on here. So I posted the original to correct your nonsense. I'm not going to debate whether or not it was a slight to the honor of the august institution that you came from or not. And I'm actually hoping you don't rage-quit APS as you "threatened" to, you have a lot of good and valuable information. But you really need to get over yourself. And that's the last I'll say about all that.

As for the actual story of the day, anyone have info on possible links these two have to radical groups? Seems like a news blackout the last few hours.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
These house-to-house searches currently underway...

Are they done with a warrant in place, Executive Order, what?

Can a citizen tell these military wannabees "No, now get off my lawn/roof"?

http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/social-media-captures-house-to-house-searches-near/vyWzJ/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
Your wondering  was based on the thought process of frat boy look equals student, cop at school shot, suspects could be students AT THAT SCHOOL.  THAT was the hypothesis that you were implying, which is now shown as totally incorrect, and had been based entirely on some preconceived notion that students at that school would be capable of this.

What makes students at MIT so special that prevents the possibility that a student there from doing something horrific? ???

Any word on why they were at MIT?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/social-media-captures-house-to-house-searches-near/vyWzJ/

I was wondering about that too. Social media is coming alive with pictures of cops in multicam posted up in backyards and hopping fences.

Scary stuff.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »

I've seen at least one person state that the cops asked if they wanted the house searched, and she was not forced. Don't know if that applies to all individual cops/units, and if refusal to search is erhmagerd SUSPICIOUSeleventyone and they'd gen up exigent circumstances if you tried.