Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166959 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
there is also a distict possiblity that the door to door searches could randomly uncover non involved criminals that may not comply or respond with force.

I was kind of wondering about that.  Were these legally considered voluntary searches?  What would have happened if they searched some house and found a large grow operation or some such?  admissible?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
there is also a distict possiblity that the door to door searches could randomly uncover non involved criminals that may not comply or respond with force.

We don't need no steenkin' warrants!  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
ermagerd terrrrerstzes!
warrantless search season open!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #478 on: April 22, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
This entire martial law episode was also a total failure in its purported mission.

As soon as they "allowed" people to go outside their homes, a resident found and reported the fugitive suspect  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #479 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
This entire martial law episode was also a total failure in its purported mission.

As soon as they "allowed" people to go outside their homes, a resident found and reported the fugitive suspect  :facepalm:

Exactly, he was outside the "perimeter" by a few blocks.  ;/
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Exactly, he was outside the "perimeter" by a few blocks.  ;/

He left the containment area without permission.

This exercise is invalid!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
I was kind of wondering about that.  Were these legally considered voluntary searches?  What would have happened if they searched some house and found a large grow operation or some such?  admissible?

If they remove you from your house at gunpoint, it obviously was not voluntary.  And if they did not have a warrant, *any* evidence found should be inadmissible.  (supposedly they weren't looking for evidence, they were looking for a specific dangerous fugitive.)  If they knock politely on the door and you let them in, anything they find is fair game.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #482 on: April 22, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Anybody else notice the lady walking a German Shepherd out of the house, hands in the air?

Let's see. You're herding someone out of their house at gun point, with a fairly large dog, and you don't want them to have both hands on the leash?  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
Anybody else notice the lady walking a German Shepherd out of the house, hands in the air?

Let's see. You're herding someone out of their house at gun point, with a fairly large dog, and you don't want them to have both hands on the leash?  =|

How else do you get an opportunity to shoot your ninjagun at something?  That's what police home invasions are FOR.  Gotta leave the opportunity for it to happen. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
who exactly are they looking for?  in your informed opinion

"law enforcement officers conducted a nearly 24-hour door-to-door manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is suspected of helping his brother plant two bombs near the finish line at Monday's Boston Marathon that wounded more than 170 people and left three dead.
Officials announced at 6:00 p.m. news conference that they had been unable to apprehend the suspect, despite combing through a 20-block area of the Boston suburb of Watertown"

I'm with Gewher on this one.  Why are you being intentionally- well, I'll just say "coy"?
Are you trying to prove that these intrusions are OK  if they are or are not looking for the boston bomber in an area that is or is not  Watertown?
I really fail to see what distinction you seem to perceive there.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »
"law enforcement officers conducted a nearly 24-hour door-to-door manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is suspected of helping his brother plant two bombs near the finish line at Monday's Boston Marathon that wounded more than 170 people and left three dead.
Officials announced at 6:00 p.m. news conference that they had been unable to apprehend the suspect, despite combing through a 20-block area of the Boston suburb of Watertown"

I'm with Gewher on this one.  Why are you being intentionally- well, I'll just say "coy"?
Are you trying to prove that these intrusions are OK  if they are or are not looking for the boston bomber in an area that is or is not  Watertown?
I really fail to see what distinction you seem to perceive there.

It could have been a drug bust filmed weeks ago and just posted this weekend with a misleading caption.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  Also they may have been tipped that Tsarnaev was actually in that house and had a warrant, rather it being a random search.  We don't know, and the guy posting the video seems to have an agenda.

I think it's exactly what it looks like, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
I was kind of wondering about that.  Were these legally considered voluntary searches?  What would have happened if they searched some house and found a large grow operation or some such?  admissible?

IANAL, NDISAAHIELN.

Generally no.  Fruit of the Poisioned Tree.  But if they ask to come in and you say "Yes", then it's a legal search, anything and everything they find will be admissible.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »
We don't know,

Some of the most important words in this thread.

All the info we have on the whole thing going down in Boston is secondhand accounts. Sometimes you get intentionally misleading info, sometime you get bad info, etc.

Keep that in mind before simply opening your can o' outrage and shouting from the internet rooftops about stuff you probably don't have the first bit of accurate info about.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #488 on: April 22, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »
If they remove you from your house at gunpoint, it obviously was not voluntary.  And if they did not have a warrant, *any* evidence found should be inadmissible.  (supposedly they weren't looking for evidence, they were looking for a specific dangerous fugitive.)  If they knock politely on the door and you let them in, anything they find is fair game.

This. In such exigent circumstances, such as our bomb-hurling Chechen here, requiring warrantless searches it should be an absolute given that anything seen by the officers that is not the bomb-hurling psychopath should be automatically fruit-of-the-poison tree.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »
Some of the most important words in this thread.

All the info we have on the whole thing going down in Boston is secondhand accounts. Sometimes you get intentionally misleading info, sometime you get bad info, etc.

Keep that in mind before simply opening your can o' outrage and shouting from the internet rooftops about stuff you probably don't have the first bit of accurate info about.

The hilarious "what ifs"  that are being posted for possible justification make it clear that the events in the video are so hard to justify that it's a little mind numbing.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
I'm sure there is a perfectly justifiable reason to march folks out of their houses with multiple guns pointed at them when they have done nothing wrong.

Armored vehicles in the street and suspension of normal constitutional protections are the new normal.

At least I'm safe  ;/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »
Anybody know about how many houses they searched and how long it took?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »
Anybody know about how many houses they searched and how long it took?

Of course not why are we going to bother with facts in this...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
Which "what if's" ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #494 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »
scanner traffic told of a man who was stopped and probed by 4 robots because his ipod looked like a detonator.

it took awhile to deploy 4 robots

It was a guy that was reported to be about 60 years old that the Military turned at least three if not four robots on. They said over the radio that he had a device on him with a dead man switch. The robots tore the package apart and then a LEO went with the man in an ambulance to a hospital. The radio trafic made it sound like the box had wood stuff but it wasn't clear what was going on... The radio trafic also sounded like the old man wasn't happy about the event too...

/quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1470774____NEW____Two_Explosions_at_the_Boston_Marathon___Warning__some_GRAPHIC_images.html&page=331

Posted: 4/19/2013 10:41:34 AM EDT
Near Monroe Muffler on Arsenal Street proned out at gunpoint by unit 18, visible transmitter.

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #495 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »
scanner traffic told of a man who was stopped and probed by 4 robots because his ipod looked like a detonator.

it took awhile to deploy 4 robots

It was a guy that was reported to be about 60 years old that the Military turned at least three if not four robots on. They said over the radio that he had a device on him with a dead man switch. The robots tore the package apart and then a LEO went with the man in an ambulance to a hospital. The radio trafic made it sound like the box had wood stuff but it wasn't clear what was going on... The radio trafic also sounded like the old man wasn't happy about the event too...

/quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1470774____NEW____Two_Explosions_at_the_Boston_Marathon___Warning__some_GRAPHIC_images.html&page=331

Posted: 4/19/2013 10:41:34 AM EDT
Near Monroe Muffler on Arsenal Street proned out at gunpoint by unit 18, visible transmitter.

Skynet is online!  [tinfoil]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
This. In such exigent circumstances, such as our bomb-hurling Chechen here, requiring warrantless searches it should be an absolute given that anything seen by the officers that is not the bomb-hurling psychopath should be automatically fruit-of-the-poison tree.

That isn't how it works.  If it is out in the open or otherwise visible in an area where bomb hurling psychopaths may be, then it would considered to be in "plain view" and admissible.  If they had to move things to get a peek or they were looking through drawers, then it probably could be suppressed. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #497 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
who exactly are they looking for?  in your informed opinion

A white male in a white van?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
That isn't how it works.  If it is out in the open or otherwise visible in an area where bomb hurling psychopaths may be, then it would considered to be in "plain view" and admissible.  If they had to move things to get a peek or they were looking through drawers, then it probably could be suppressed. 

That's how it would be if they had a warrant for the bomb-hurling psychopath.  Are you sure that's how it works under "exigent circumstances" w/o a warrant?  (if they take time out to bust you for your bag of weed, it obviously wasn't so exigent after all and we are back to that "poison tree")
"It's good, though..."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »