Author Topic: Jacob Sullum Responds To CATO's Mr. Levy  (Read 3490 times)

csmkersh

Jacob Sullum Responds To CATO's Mr. Levy
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:59 PM »
There's a thread running here that was published by CATO's Chairman  Robert Levy.  If you recall Levy touted background checks on all gun sales, not just those through a FFL.  Mr. Sullum's articel titled "A Libertarian Case for Expanding Gun Background Checks? I Am Still Waiting to Hear One" rebutts Levy and can be found here:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/30/a-libertarian-case-for-expanding-gun-bac

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Jacob Sullum Responds To CATO's Mr. Levy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/dear-democratic-gun-control-lobby-how-to-get-better/

Here is another written by a self professed liberal.  The guy was on Gun Talk Radio last weekend. 

I need to make time to read both of them.  (That is what conference calls at work are for!  =D )
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
I don't think that represents Reason's official position.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
He makes a good point about Levy's compromise.  I recall hearing on one radio show that it only expanded background checks a little bit, but had all sorts of pro-gun extras added.  I think the statement was made that expanded background checks were inevitable. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
I don't think that represents Reason's official position.

I lol'ed. Well played sir.  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/dear-democratic-gun-control-lobby-how-to-get-better/

Here is another written by a self professed liberal.  The guy was on Gun Talk Radio last weekend. 

I need to make time to read both of them.  (That is what conference calls at work are for!  =D )

Dear self professed liberal, if you want people to read what you write, don't use eye-killing white text on black  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
Dear self professed liberal, if you want people to read what you write, don't use eye-killing white text on black  :facepalm:
It didn't bother me.  Maybe my iPad view is different.