Author Topic: Just how many Jews were really murdered by Hitler and associates?  (Read 60360 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Just how many Jews were really murdered by Hitler and associates?
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:24 AM »
Interesting.  Is Koine a difficult language to learn to read?  

Would you be so kind as to provide your translation of Lev. 15.24?  When the verse is read in context, the meaning is clear.  But for what it's worth, I asked for a "good English translation" and a discrepancy with "theological import."  You failed to provide the latter, and the Old Elizabethan Version you chose arguably does not even meet the former stipulation, anymore.  The newer versions I checked simply said "menstrual flow" instead of "flowers."  

I'm still sincerely curious why converting to Islam would be an acceptable choice for a Jew.  I'm not asking about Christianity or its alleged idolatry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Interesting.  Is Koine a difficult language to learn to read?  

Would you be so kind as to provide your translation of Lev. 15.24?  When the verse is read in context, the meaning is clear.  But for what it's worth, I asked for a "good English translation" and a discrepancy with "theological import."  You failed to provide the latter, and the Old Elizabethan Version you chose arguably does not even meet the former stipulation, anymore.  The newer versions I checked simply said "menstrual flow" instead of "flowers."  

I'm still sincerely curious why converting to Islam would be an acceptable choice for a Jew.  I'm not asking about Christianity or its alleged idolatry.
I honestly found Greek to be a bitch to learn.  But I started with Latin.  People who started with Greek tell me it's easy and Latin is hard.  But the koine is not that difficult, and that was our 2nd year course.  Some parts of Christian Bible are easier than others .  Luke/Acts is pretty straightforward.  Revelations is just bizarre, language-wise.
Converting to Islam is not an acceptable choice for a Jew.  But if the choice is either convert or die, then he can convert.  Not so with Christianity.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2006, 11:48:42 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
LEV 15:24 And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean.
I wont even ask you to explain this because I know you have no idea what this means. No one could without access to the original.  But as English it is not only incomprehensible, it is also misleading.
How is it misleading? If that English translation is misleading, why don't you try to paraphrase for us, in English, what the orginal Hebrew verse means? Explain to us, to the best you can in English (which you seem to consider lacking), why the English translation is misleading.
Andy

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
Quote from: cosine
LEV 15:24 And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean.
I wont even ask you to explain this because I know you have no idea what this means. No one could without access to the original.  But as English it is not only incomprehensible, it is also misleading.
How is it misleading? If that English translation is misleading, why don't you try to paraphrase for us, in English, what the orginal Hebrew verse means? Explain to us, to the best you can in English (which you seem to consider lacking), why the English translation is misleading.
I can't explain it in English because English doesn't have the vocabulary and concepts necessary to do so.  Neither would French, German et al.  Hebrew has a very developed vocabulary for certain things (like vows and oaths) that English is just lacking.  So English has no concept for "tamei" and "tahor" so doesnt have words for those things.  Words like "clean" and "unclean" or "pure" etc are just misleading.  "Mamzer" is another one.  The usual translation is "bastard" (in the technical legal sense) but that is totally misleading as the two have nothing in common.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
So, it's not the flowers you have a problem with, it's the clean/unclean?  Again, where's the theological import for a Christian?  Can you give me two examples where my lack of Hebrew makes me misunderstand the scriptures to any significant degree?

And can you explain why it is acceptable for a Jew to forsake the faith of his fathers for Islam, rather than die?  I admit, I know nothing of such a way of thinking.  I submit that your patriarchs and prophets didn't, either.

« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2006, 12:44:20 PM »
I'm not an expert on either religion, but off the top of my head:

Because Jews and Muslims both worship the same God, although in different ways.
Because both reject the concept of trinity.
Because the dietary requirements of both are similar enough that one can choose to eat.
Because they both ban or severly limit the use of icons and neither allows representations of God.
They both promote the importances of works in faith.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
So, it's not the flowers you have a problem with, it's the clean/unclean?  Again, where's the theological import for a Christian?  Can you give me two examples where my lack of Hebrew makes me misunderstand the scriptures to any significant degree?

And can you explain why it is acceptable for a Jew to forsake the faith of his fathers for Islam, rather than die?  I admit, I know nothing of such a way of thinking.  I submit that your patriarchs and prophets didn't, either.
Here's a better explanation than any I could give:
http://www.crivoice.org/isa7-14.html

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »
Quote from: Ezekiel
I wont even ask you to explain this because I know you have no idea what this means.
Definitely, Elitism.
Yeah.  Education's a bitch.

Try reading one sentence further in my post.
Okay.

No one could without access to the original.
My fault, asshat: I should have said "proprietary Elitism."

Again, my fault.  In addition, education and self-serving brainwashing seem similar in this case...
Zeke

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2006, 02:19:50 PM »
I've been pretty annoyed at something things lately posted in this thread, but that's no reason to abandon the high road...
Andy

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2006, 04:05:41 PM »
Quote from: cosine
I've been pretty annoyed at something things lately posted in this thread, but that's no reason to abandon the high road...
Somehow I have a feeling we wont be hearing from him again.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
You know, I really didn't expect this thread to get this long and vicious. It started as a simple question as to the best estimate of a specific subgroup's losses in the Holocaust.

Come on. We all agree that what was done was monstrous. We all agree that genocide is part of living on this planet, and has happened in many times, and many places. Whether or not 'The Holocaust' is/was special is a rather minor point, regardless of who is right or wrong (assuming that it is that clear-cut).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2006, 04:21:33 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
Jews and Muslims both worship the same God, although in different ways.
That is your point of view, but how many Jews believe this?  

Rabbi, do you agree with Barbara's statement?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
Jews and Muslims both worship the same God, although in different ways.
That is your point of view, but how many Jews believe this?  

Rabbi, do you agree with Barbara's statement?
Not a question of whether I do or not.  A question of what our sources tell us.  And the sources tell us yes, we do worship the same G-d.
There was a question posed to a famous rabbi in some Moslem country.  The Moslems decreed that before Jews would be allowed to slaughter animals they had to say a blessing to Allah.  If this was forbidden, then they couldn't slaughter and the community would go without meat.  The rabbi (I forget who this was) ruled that Allah was indeed the same G-d, referred to sometimes in the Bible as "El" and there was no problem.
Similarly while it is forbidden for a Jew to go into a church any time, it is not forbidden to go into a mosque when it isnt being used.
But yes, I agree with Barbara's statement.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2006, 05:22:46 AM »
To demonstrate my ignorance - Rabbi, how extensive have past bans on Jewish practices in Christian countries been? Obviously I'm aware of expulsions and persecutions, but has any Christian country effectively banned kosher slaughter practices whilst allowing or requiring Jewish populations to remain, for instance?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if your example doesn't possibly stem from the need to survive in a relatively hostile environment, and if it is possible that some Rabbi in a christian country may have made similar rulings with regards to practices forced upon Jews by that country.

Ta.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2006, 05:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Iain
To demonstrate my ignorance - Rabbi, how extensive have past bans on Jewish practices in Christian countries been? Obviously I'm aware of expulsions and persecutions, but has any Christian country effectively banned kosher slaughter practices whilst allowing or requiring Jewish populations to remain, for instance?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if your example doesn't possibly stem from the need to survive in a relatively hostile environment, and if it is possible that some Rabbi in a christian country may have made similar rulings with regards to practices forced upon Jews by that country.

Ta.
Well, the Nazis effectively banned kosher slaughter.  Actually I think they required electrical stunning.  There was a huge debate among the rabbis as to whether that was allowed or not.  The final ruling was that it was not allowed.  Slaughter moved to Denmark with the meat re-imported to Germany.  Currently several European countries outlaw kosher slaughter.  Britain has been working on a ban for years.
I am not aware of any analogous case in a Christian country but based on other knowledge I can say people would have been eating a lot of potatoes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2006, 06:05:57 AM »
Just out of curiosity...
It seems many practices in Judaism come out of debate between Rabbi's over time.  My questions, since it appears the former has been said by The Rabbi in previous posts,  is that Judaism is fluid, depending on ongoing debate.  If that is so, here are my questions:

1.  Why hasn't the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah been debated with the vigor that other issues have been over the centuries?  I have been told that great debates have gone on over nits.  This claim is certainly not a nit.  He claimed he was Messiah, so either he is a liar or was telling the truth.  Or was insane or was telling the truth.  Or he was truly a bad man, a demon, or was telling the truth.  He cannot be a good prophet, a good man, a good teacher, a good anything if he is not who he says he is.  Judaism, at the least, tolerates Christians and attempts to co-exist.  If  Jews think today that Jesus is a blashphemer, why not come out and say so and lay down the case for blasphemy.  Why bother to get along with Christians at all?  Or why not have a serious debate about the possibility that he is who he says rather than rejecting the possibility out of hand with no serious debate.  Debate, it appears, is what the Rabbi's do.  In the post modern world, I think that would be worthy of consideration.  If Jesus is who he claims, it posts no threat to Judaism; it fulfills the promise.  How could that be bad?

2.  With respect to the fact that a Jew should die before becoming a Christian:   It seems to me that is not mutually exclusive to what Jesus said about what must occur with respect to that decision by any person to believe that he is the Messiah.  "You must be born again."  The implication is that one must die to the flesh and be born again in the spirit.  So the teaching that a Jew must die before being a Christian seems to raise the question that perhaps the conclusion drawn regarding death has been mininterpreted and is worthy of more debate?

My intent is not to rile anyone up.  But these two questions have been ones that I have had for a long time and never had the chance to have anyone answer them.
As I have said before, a man's faith is intensely personal.  It also seems to me that the question of faith has been mightily complicated by Men over the centuries to the point of making one wonder what is of man and what is of God.  Perhaps the answer  is much simpler and resides within each of us, regardless of all the argument.  The smarter people get, the more they complicate things.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2006, 06:51:15 AM »
He claimed he was Messiah, so either he is a liar or was telling the truth.  Or was insane or was telling the truth.  Or he was truly a bad man, a demon, or was telling the truth.  He cannot be a good prophet, a good man, a good teacher, a good anything if he is not who he says he is.  Judaism, at the least, tolerates Christians and attempts to co-exist.
Did He really claim that, or did His followers make those claims after His death?
How would you know?
(Answer: The same way you "know" that there is only one God and Mohammed is his prophet or that when God was giving health tips to his chosen people he really meant cloven hoof and not un-cloven hoof ... because you choose to trust a given set of ancient documents and group of people who tell you what those documents really mean.)
So the teaching that a Jew must die before being a Christian seems to raise the question that perhaps the conclusion drawn regarding death has been mininterpreted and is worthy of more debate?
I think these concepts are completely different.  One is discussing which faith a Jew can convert to when the other choice is death.  The other is discussing what is necessary either literally or symbolically to achieve salvation through Christ.  No similarities, except for in times long past some Jews were threatened with death if they did not convert to Christianity and when they refused some professed Christians gleefully put them to death to "save" them.

While I may not agree with Rabbi on everything, or even most things, he is arguing from a theologically sound position here, at least within the context of his own faith.

« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2006, 06:58:35 AM »
He claimed he was Messiah, so either he is a liar or was telling the truth.  Or was insane or was telling the truth.  Or he was truly a bad man, a demon, or was telling the truth.  He cannot be a good prophet, a good man, a good teacher, a good anything if he is not who he says he is.
Not exactly the answer to your question, but Islam doesn't dispute he was the Messiah. It disputes that he was God incarnate. The two aren't necessarily the same thing.

There are other options other than the ones you raised above but they'd open a whole 'nother can of worms and this thread is already somewhat contentious.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Just out of curiosity...
It seems many practices in Judaism come out of debate between Rabbi's over time.  My questions, since it appears the former has been said by The Rabbi in previous posts,  is that Judaism is fluid, depending on ongoing debate.  If that is so, here are my questions:

1.  Why hasn't the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah been debated with the vigor that other issues have been over the centuries?  I have been told that great debates have gone on over nits.  This claim is certainly not a nit.  He claimed he was Messiah, so either he is a liar or was telling the truth.  Or was insane or was telling the truth.  Or he was truly a bad man, a demon, or was telling the truth.  He cannot be a good prophet, a good man, a good teacher, a good anything if he is not who he says he is.  Judaism, at the least, tolerates Christians and attempts to co-exist.  If  Jews think today that Jesus is a blashphemer, why not come out and say so and lay down the case for blasphemy.  Why bother to get along with Christians at all?  Or why not have a serious debate about the possibility that he is who he says rather than rejecting the possibility out of hand with no serious debate.  Debate, it appears, is what the Rabbi's do.  In the post modern world, I think that would be worthy of consideration.  If Jesus is who he claims, it posts no threat to Judaism; it fulfills the promise.  How could that be bad?
It was treated with about as much thought as the idea that Joseph Smith received the Book of Mormon from an angel in mainstream Christian denominations.

Really, we have a pretty good knowledge of what the messiah is supposed to do.  And Jesus (again, assuming there was one historical person who matches what the Christian Bible says about him) didn't do any of those things.
As for claims, I read the book Jesus the Jew by Geza Vermes, an Oxford scholar.  I think he maintains there that claims for messiahship are a later invention.
The only debate among the rabbis was the point at which someone claiming to be a Christian could be excluded wholly from the Jewish people.  For example, let's say you had  Jewish couple who had a son and they were Christians.  The father cannot be counted in a minyan at a synagogue, cannot be called for any honors, cannot testify in a court etc etc.  But if the son disavows Christianity when he grows up then he is a regular Jew like anyone else.  So the question is, at what point do you stop assuming a Jewish lineage and say that anyone claiming to be a Christian, absent other information, is prima facie a non-Jew.
The answer is that it happened fairly late, when Christianity was made up mostly of non-Jews.
But that was the only debate.  As for depictions of Jesus, there is an interesting passage in the Talmud in Gittin on this that I am not going to post.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
Quote from: cordex
He claimed he was Messiah,
Did He really claim that, or did His followers make those claims after His death?
How would you know?
(Answer:  ... because you choose to trust a given set of ancient documents and group of people who tell you what those documents really mean.)
Yeah, that's right.  The Apostles made up a religion so they could be martyrs to it.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2006, 08:14:41 AM »
Yeah, that's right.  The Apostles made up a religion so they could be martyrs to it.
...and reviled and alienated by the religion they had followed all their life.  Forget all about that raising-the-dead, rising-from-the dead,  water-into-wine, healing-the-sick stuff, that was all smoke and mirrors, despite hte eyewitness accounts to the contrary...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
...and reviled and alienated by the religion they had followed all their life.  Forget all about that raising-the-dead, rising-from-the dead,  water-into-wine, healing-the-sick stuff, that was all smoke and mirrors, despite hte eyewitness accounts to the contrary...
Yes, the one they first, knew very little of, and second, proceeded to violate right and left.
What was the term for people taken in by carnival barkers hawking magic salves and all?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2006, 09:57:33 AM »
Rabbi, please.  The man was as stone-dead as John Cleese's parrot.  Three days ater he was alive.  These are matters of fact, well-attested by history.  And you equate that to snake oil?

Luke 16.31
"But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"

« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »
There isn't any independent contemporary accounts of that happening. Not that it did, or did not, but I'm not aware of any other documentation that exists.

This whole thread is disappointing, which in itself is disappointing because it would been a good opportunity to learn more about others faiths and/or religions and instead, its..just not.