Author Topic: Benghazi Hearings  (Read 8730 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Benghazi Hearings
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
The R's are asking the right (and tough) questions.  The D's are circling the wagons and parsing quotes and accusing Rep Issa about lying about Sec Clinton's lies.

It just completely pisses me off that we failed to mount any type of operation to save Americans.

Where was the president during this time and what did he know?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:25:07 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Benghazi Hearings
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

Sleeping. He knew he was going to Vegas the next day and nothing was as important as that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
The R's are asking the right (and tough) questions.  The D's are circling the wagons and parsing quotes and accusing Rep Issa about lying about Sec Clinton's lies.

It just completely pisses me off that we failed to mount any type of operation to save Americans.

Honestly, I'm more pissed about the cover up.  The lies, blaming it on some demonstrations that didn't even happen.
Presidents make decisions every day, some of them quite tough.  To lie like this about a bad decision, because it doesn't fit some narrative?  Unforgivable. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
Honestly, I'm more pissed about the cover up.  The lies, blaming it on some demonstrations that didn't even happen.
Presidents make decisions every day, some of them quite tough.  To lie like this about a bad decision, because it doesn't fit some narrative?  Unforgivable. 

My recollection is that even JFK took responsibility for the failed Bay of Pigs operation  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
My recollection is that even JFK took responsibility for the failed Bay of Pigs operation  =|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Pigs_Invasion#Political_reaction

Honestly the more I learn about Kennedy, the more I like him.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »

He had a lot more "class" than a lot of other presidents.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »
Honeybooboo has more class than the current president.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »

He had his faults.  He wasn't quite the saviour that we all believed (I wasn't quite ten when he died so I get a pass for my folly).

But he was a far right wing conservative compared to BHO or even GWB   ;/  
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
Honeybooboo has more class than the current president.

Which is odd since they both seem to have the same level of maturity.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
What about questions regarding their involvement in material support for Al Qaeda and other extremists during the overthrow of the Libyan government, enabling said extremists turn around and kill the ambassador? What about questions regarding our involvement and support of Al Qaeda and other extremists in Syria, as we speak? Forget about the 'response' to Benghazi, there shouldn't have been a Benghazi in the first place.

"Either with us, or with the terrorists"... ;/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
Benghazi???  what's that?  The news is all about failed gun control, immigration, Israel bombing Syria.  They don't want us to know about this stuff or care about it.  Next thing you know someone will bring up fast and furious.  Like that ever amounted to anything. =|
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Sleeping. He knew he was going to Vegas the next day and nothing was as important as that.

What we have a problem with is the unwillingness to take action. If the president is unavailable, then those under him need to make a decision instantly that is supportive of our people, rather than kick back and watch them slaughtered. Do it and ask forgiveness later.

But then that's you know, leadership...which is exceedingly rare these days.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
What we have a problem with is the unwillingness to take action. If the president is unavailable, then those under him need to make a decision instantly that is supportive of our people, rather than kick back and watch them slaughtered. Do it and ask forgiveness later.

But then that's you know, leadership...which is exceedingly rare these days.

I would think that the default position if the USA would be "Defend Americans, American officials, and American facilities to the utmost."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
I guarantee that no negative consequences will come from this

America is too blinded by their love of BHO
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
I would think that the default position if the USA would be "Defend Americans, American officials, and American facilities to the utmost."

Lol

You are a funny guy
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
I was listening to Hannity on the way back from the post office. An ROTC cadet called in, and said he'd been to the embassy in Aman, Jordan three months prior to Benghazi. He said that the protection around the embassy there was extremely heavy, with armored vehicles and lots and lots of guns. He made a good point in asking why we have such heavy security in a friendly country, yet had very little in a very hostile country, and the security that was requested was denied.

I can only see one reason why security was denied, was help was denied, why CIA talking points were re-written, and why the president, secretary of state, UN ambassador, and other administration officials peddled a lie for nearly three weeks. It was to not interrupt the "Obama killed bin Laden and eliminated al Queda" narrative of the campaign. Even acknowledging a deadly terror attack on one of our consulates just weeks before the election would call into question the picture that had been painted of Obama for the election.

Does anyone have a better idea?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 05:51:50 PM »
No, because that about sums it up.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
You nailed it, MonkeyLeg.  And unfortunately, nothing will come of these hearings.  Nothing ever comes of the hearings Issa has chaired.  Lots of smoke and noise, no fire.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
You nailed it, MonkeyLeg.  And unfortunately, nothing will come of these hearings.  Nothing ever comes of the hearings Issa has chaired.  Lots of smoke and noise, no fire.
Well, it is the stupid party after all.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
The Republican party is the Stupid Party.  The Democrat party is the Quisling party.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
If the only thing that comes from this is that it ruins Hillary's plans for 2016, I'll be happy. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
If the only thing that comes from this is that it ruins Hillary's plans for 2016, I'll be happy. 

I can't say I'd be happy to settle for that, but it would certainly make the hearings worthwhile.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
. . . Does anyone have a better idea?
An air of weakness (or "trust" in the new Libyan "government") suited this administration's narrative & accomodation/appeasement policy with radical Arabs. Sending help would have resulted in more Arab than American casualties, which again wouldn't suit this administration's narrative with the radicals. When we lost an actual ambassador before the election, a cover-up was indicated.

They prosecuted Roger Clemens for "false" testimony before Congress regarding alleged steroid use, and that's pretty trivial compared to Benghazi, so are you saying Issa didn't follow up with prosecution and imprisonment when administration officials failed to produce subpoenaed documents or were cited for contempt?

Why . . . that would mean the hearings were nothing more than ineffectual posturing for the cameras!   :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
I was listening to Hannity on the way back from the post office. An ROTC cadet called in, and said he'd been to the embassy in Aman, Jordan three months prior to Benghazi. He said that the protection around the embassy there was extremely heavy, with armored vehicles and lots and lots of guns. He made a good point in asking why we have such heavy security in a friendly country, yet had very little in a very hostile country, and the security that was requested was denied.

I can only see one reason why security was denied, was help was denied, why CIA talking points were re-written, and why the president, secretary of state, UN ambassador, and other administration officials peddled a lie for nearly three weeks. It was to not interrupt the "Obama killed bin Laden and eliminated al Queda" narrative of the campaign. Even acknowledging a deadly terror attack on one of our consulates just weeks before the election would call into question the picture that had been painted of Obama for the election.

Does anyone have a better idea?

I recall hearing/reading rumors that Ambassador Stevens was in Benghazi to meet inconspicuously with the Turkish Ambassador, potentially in relation to intel/support for the rebels in Syria. Has any of that been substantiated?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch