Author Topic: Obama and the IRS  (Read 11111 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama and the IRS
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
Just a few random observations on this whole story:

1) Their idea of "doing something" is firing the guy in charge of the IRS who not only already resigned, but didn't even start the job until well after the audit targeting was in full swing. Shouldn't Obama then fire himself for all the stuff he claims Bush did before he (Obama) took office?

2) The comparisons (and supporting data) to Nixon shenanigans by a fairly wide spectrum of ideologies  puts a grin on my face.

3) Sadly, this is yet another issue taking away from the Benghazi atrocity. It's a serious issue, but nobody died.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/16/obama-to-meet-with-treasury-officials-over-irs-scandal/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Obama and the IRS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
Boehner asked a good question: Who's going to jail?

If there are no criminal prosecutions for the admitted targeting of groups for political reasons, then the Democrats will be shown to be completely corrupt and the GOP will be proven ineffectual . . . at best.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
I got a laugh about this listening to Rush the other day. While all of these conservative groups were having their tax-exempt status approvals held up, a pro-Obama group run by Obama's half-brother had his approved. Not just approved, but the IRS actually made his approval retroactive two years prior so that he wouldn't face criminal penalties for collecting donations for two years under the false pretense of those donations being tax exempt when in fact he hadn't filed for tax exempt status.

No favoritism with this administration.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
I got a laugh about this listening to Rush the other day. While all of these conservative groups were having their tax-exempt status approvals held up, a pro-Obama group run by Obama's half-brother had his approved. Not just approved, but the IRS actually made his approval retroactive two years prior so that he wouldn't face criminal penalties for collecting donations for two years under the false pretense of those donations being tax exempt when in fact he hadn't filed for tax exempt status.

No favoritism with this administration.
:facepalm: We sooooooooooooooooooooooo need a tongue-in-cheek smilie!!!! ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Poper

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
Boehner asked a good question: Who's going to jail?

If there are no criminal prosecutions for the admitted targeting of groups for political reasons, then the Democrats will be shown to be completely corrupt and the GOP will be proven ineffectual . . . at best.  =(
I think every individual that so much as had a document of this incident cross his desk without at least speaking up, should be summarily fired and forever barred from working in any government position of public trust.  They have proven they cannot be trusted and the citizens' trust and confidence in the government and the IRS (which already has an image problem) is of extreme importance given the continuous stream of scandals of this administration and the slowest economic recovery in the history of the USA.  JMHO, however.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am a registered "TEA Party" member with the state.
Poper
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:29:50 PM by Poper »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
"We can't comment on an active investigation", even though the agency to blame has already publicly acknowledged, and APOLOGIZED FOR, the offenses.

Theatre of the Absurd at it's most laughable.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Poper

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
"We can't comment on an active investigation", even though the agency to blame has already publicly acknowledged, and APOLOGIZED FOR, the offenses.

Theatre of the Absurd at it's most laughable.
Very true, SADShooter.  However, the vast majority of the people in this country either do not care or are not paying attention.  Just watch.  I'm betting it will all blow over and be nothing more than a dim memory.  Just like Fast and Furious did.    :mad:

Poper

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Very true, SADShooter.  However, the vast majority of the people in this country either do not care or are not paying attention.  Just watch.  I'm betting it will all blow over and be nothing more than a dim memory.  Just like Fast and Furious did.    :mad:

Poper

this is hurting him

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/16/white-house-scandals-turn-enthusiastic-supporters-/#.UZatq3yRlik.facebook
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
the Democrats will be shown to be are completely corrupt and the GOP will be proven is ineffectual and corrupt

Corrected for accuracy
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
Given the opportunity they would still vote for him. :facepalm:

sadly i think many would :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »

Now that just about nails it. I guess it must be that laser-like focus on jobs...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 02:43:02 AM »
Now that just about nails it. I guess it must be that laser-like focus on jobs...

The President/Administration's own?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
Obama and his various scandals has elevated tinfoil-hattery to the status of high fashion.  Yesterday it came out that the question kicking off this whole flap was planted. 

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/17/lerners-admission-was-pre-planned-public-disclosure/

The lady 'fessing up to slow walking conservative application for tax exempt status had a buddy ask the question.  The effect is that of malefactor blowing the whistle on himself.

Now why would Obama do that?  Options include limited hangout, controlled deflation, bright shiny distraction to something else, or the traditional red herring.  Punditry has the entire weekend to noodle it out.  First attempt I've read is a bright, shiny distraction to the emerging immigration "reform" bill.  We'll see.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
:facepalm: We sooooooooooooooooooooooo need a tongue-in-cheek smilie!!!! ;)

That would quite possibly be the first smilie that couldn't pass the language filter.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »
Obama and his various scandals has elevated tinfoil-hattery to the status of high fashion. 

When a conspiracy is confirmed, it is no longer a "tinfoil hatter conspiracy," but mere reality.

IRS
Bengazi
AP phone records

All fact, not theory. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
Bubbling up: HHS Sec Sebelius shaking down soliciting "donations" from corporations to support Obamacare.

Yhe real slackers seem to be the Cabinet Secretaries who "don't" have a scandal/investigation underway.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »
Obama and his various scandals has elevated tinfoil-hattery to the status of high fashion.  Yesterday it came out that the question kicking off this whole flap was planted. 

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/17/lerners-admission-was-pre-planned-public-disclosure/

The lady 'fessing up to slow walking conservative application for tax exempt status had a buddy ask the question.  The effect is that of malefactor blowing the whistle on himself.

Now why would Obama do that?  Options include limited hangout, controlled deflation, bright shiny distraction to something else, or the traditional red herring.  Punditry has the entire weekend to noodle it out.  First attempt I've read is a bright, shiny distraction to the emerging immigration "reform" bill.  We'll see.

No, the hope was that it would simply be ignored and lost in the background noise.  LOOK BENGHAZI !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 09:43:16 AM »
Bubbling up: HHS Sec Sebelius shaking down soliciting "donations" from corporations to support Obamacare.

Yhe real slackers seem to be the Cabinet Secretaries who "don't" have a scandal/investigation underway.
"Nice little insurance company ya got there.  Be a real shame if something were to happen to it...  But really, the reason I called is to ask for your support for my <snip>"?

RICO charges are in order.  If we don't put a stop to this behavior, we'll be a third world country, requiring cumshaw for all government interactions.  Time for heads on the pikes.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
"Nice little insurance company ya got there.  Be a real shame if something were to happen to it...  But really, the reason I called is to ask for your support for my <snip>"?

RICO charges are in order.  If we don't put a stop to this behavior, we'll be a third world country, requiring cumshaw for all government interactions.  Time for heads on the pikes.

I'm so surprised.  I would never have expected anything like this from a Chicago politician that became president.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
The IRS thing bothers me because in my opinion it reflects partisan activities connected to the White House.  They probably can't prove it.  But I know it was the case.

Benghazi....  I'm fed up.  It was election time and the White House and his Party conspired to control the release of information, public opinion and reduce impact to the election.

Look what we're finding out about the AP business....  it saddens me.  It was an all out power grab and win at any cost effort moving toward the November 2012 election. 

I think if the truth is known, Obama would be put out of office.  I feel that his administration and Party is so corrupt and power hungry that it makes me sick to even think about it.  Where's the trust?   It was all about the election and win at any cost.  He won and look what we're finding out.  His supporters think this is all okay... that's the big difference between many Republicans and Democrats.  The Republicans have a conscious. This country is going to he-ll.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
You know, as shocking as this all is, we shouldn't be surprised.

Obama's term in office began with blatant tyranny.

The Obama administration subverted bankruptcy laws to reward their Union supporters. THAT should have had everyone screaming for impeachment. I don't care if you like the unions and hate the bondholders, that was a complete undermining of the rule of law.

They decided, from the very beginning, that there is no equal standing before the law. If you're one of our constituencies, it doesn't matter if the law if against you- we'll ignore it.

All we seeing is the other side. If you're opposed to us, it doesn't matter if the law is for you- we ignore it then, too.

Edit: autocorrect doesn't catch "The" instead of "They"...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:18:34 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »

The Obama administration subverted bankruptcy laws to reward their Union supporters. THAT should have had everyone screaming for impeachment. I don't care if you like the unions and hate the bondholders, that was a complete undermining of the rule of law.

The decided, from the very beginning, that there is no equal standing before the law. If you're one of our constituencies, it doesn't matter if the law if against you- we'll ignore it.

All we seeing is the other side. If you're opposed to us, it doesn't matter if the law is for you- we ignore it then, too.

My guess is that History will state that the US constitutional republic died a long time before now.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

They decided, from the very beginning, that there is no equal standing before the law. If you're one of our constituencies, it doesn't matter if the law if against you- we'll ignore it.

Edit: autocorrect doesn't catch "The" instead of "They"...

You're ight, of course. The repercussions of the auto bailout didn't resonate with "mainstream America" because "OMG! Blue-collar manufacturing jobs!" is a bit more visceral than "What? Screwing the GM bondholders? A fundamental violation of contract law!". Combine the message with a willing messenger in the complicit/sycophantic media, and here we are.

Now we learn about more investigation of journalists-this time at Fox. In 2010. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-admin-spied-fox-news-reporter-james-rosen-134204299.html

Aren't the Emperor's raiments glorious?