Author Topic: This is a new low...  (Read 17839 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
This is a new low...
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
I really didn't think they could stoop any lower. I've got to stop underestimating them.
:facepalm:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/comment-page-1/#comment-130301
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: This is a new low...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »
Ho-ly...I-don't-know-what...  ???  :facepalm:

Well, it definitely vindicates the notion that gun-grabbers are just projecting. If even a small percentage of CCW-holders were as stupid as this gun-grabbing hypocrite - the mind reels, falls down, flails and screams in horror.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:05 PM »
In some way, I feel a certain vindication. I was right to protest Starbucks policy. Today, they have a woman with absolutely no firearms training and a Glock on her hip sitting within arm’s reach of small children, her hands shaking and adrenaline surging.

Is that Starbucks problem or hers?  She should have taken an F'ing course or gotten somebody to show her the basics of using, carrying and maintaining a gun.  But that would fit her agenda, would it?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »
In some way, I feel a certain vindication. I was right to protest Starbucks policy. Today, they have a woman with absolutely no firearms training and a Glock on her hip sitting within arm’s reach of small children, her hands shaking and adrenaline surging.

It doesn't really make her point unless she kills somebody, either by accident or in a rage.  As it stands, an idiotic, emotional, and willfully-ignorant woman with a gun, and nobody was hurt -- so imagine how safe it must be for a non-idiot (or a guy ;)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:36:38 AM »
It doesn't really make her point unless she kills somebody, either by accident or in a rage.  As it stands, an idiotic, emotional, and willfully-ignorant woman with a gun, and nobody was hurt -- so imagine how safe it must be for a non-idiot (or a guy ;)

Yep. Any normal person buying a piece of potentially dangerous machinery would at least have sense enough to ask where the switch is and how do you turn it on, but (as has been noted) that would not suit her agenda.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »

I left a comment to that effect.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »
Yep. Any normal person buying a piece of potentially dangerous machinery would at least have sense enough to ask where the switch is and how do you turn it on, but (as has been noted) that would not suit her agenda.

Imagine how she must feel about the minimum drivers license standards, or that one can rent heavy equipment with just a drivers license, or cash and carry high pressure gas cylinders, or buy horribly corrosive or toxic chemicals...

Also, she's exposing herself to all kinds of liability because of her willful ignorance.  "Because I didn't know better!" is an excuse of children, adults are held to a higher standard. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
Imagine how she must feel about the minimum drivers license standards, or that one can rent heavy equipment with just a drivers license, or cash and carry high pressure gas cylinders, or buy horribly corrosive or toxic chemicals...

Also, she's exposing herself to all kinds of liability because of her willful ignorance.  "Because I didn't know better!" is an excuse of children, adults are held to a higher standard. 

You can't make those comparisons, because guns are designed to kill!!!!!!!!!!11111

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:31 AM »
As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.”  Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.

Yeah, what's with that? When I bought my Mustang, the dealer required me to take a Bob Bondurant Performance Driving School class before I could take possession of the car.

I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion.

I can't tell you how many nieces and nephews I've shot and cars I've blown up just trying to eject cartridges.

I needed help. I drove to where a police officer had pulled over another driver. Now, writing this, I realize that rolling up on an on-duty cop with a handgun in tow might not have been fully thought through.

She's right. She needs help. Cops don't like it when someone messes with their safety zone. He should have tazed her.

The cop thought I was an idiot and suggested I take a class. But up to that point I’d done nothing wrong, nothing illegal.

The cop was very perceptive. It's too bad being an idiot isn't illegal, though. She'd be doing three consecutive life sentences.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:56 AM »
Too bad they don't require idiots to prove competency before they exercise their 1st amendment rights.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:28 AM »

I left a comment to that effect.

They don't seem to be posting critical comments any more.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
You are all getting worked up for nothing - unless one counts the humor element inherent in this first installment of what promoses to be a laigh-a-week series.

Ms Heidi Yewman openly admits that she is the antithises of every Bubbaette who walks into a gun store and comes out totin' a heater.

I wondered what would it be like to be that good guy with a gun? What would it be like to get that gun, live with that gun, be out and about with that gun. Finally, what happens when you don’t want that gun any more?

What gunnie still wonders what it would be like to be the good guy with a gun?  Don't gunnies, even before they get a gun, have both dreams and waking fantasies about coming upon the Bad Guy and blowing him into the next county?  Don't gunnies already know that getting the gun is like picking up a new puppie, and going on a first date with the captain of the cheerleaders who already agreed to go past second base with you, and like winning the lottery when you are only 16 but your partents cannot tell you how to spend (or not spend) the money?  Don't gunnies already know that swaggering down the aisle at Wallyworld with a gun on their hip negates every other reason why they should be this week's star in "The People of WalMart"?  Don't gunnies already know that being out and about with that gun is like being Superman and Batman and Chuck Norris all rolled into one and instantly gets you respect from bullies and causes muggers to go running down dark alleys with the front of their sagging drawers stained in fear?  And finally, what gunnie ever even considers that they might not want the gun anymore?  (No, trading for another gun does not count as not wanting the gun - it's more like wanting another one instead.)

And then her reputation for veracity goes through the mangler with

So here I sit at Starbucks, and the irony couldn’t be thicker. On March 12, 2010, I was surrounded by big hairy men with guns on their hips, yelling at me as I led a protest against Starbuck’s gun policy. Today, I’m surrounded by five-year-old boys sitting with their moms at the next table. Now I’m the one with a gun on her hip. The gun makes me more fearful than I could have imagined.

IIRC, all the "big hairy men with guns on their hips" were quietly sitting at Starbucks, sipping on a latte and nibbling away at that bannana-pumpkin bran muffin while gossiping about how Cletus-Ray's new holster leather brought out the red highlights in his hair (what was left of it) when she and the rest of her herd of harpies descended, screeching and caterwauling (mainly that the big hairy men were not playing their parts by getting up and making big, gory holes in the harpies).

Most people seem to have missed the very important bit of evidence she let drop:  A person with a documented record of losing self control in public and verbally assaulting people who were quietly enjoyong the morning and each other's company now, when she straps on her shootin' iron, becomes peaceful herself.  The zen of the gun works even on the shrillist of harpies.

Thank you, Heidi Yewman, for demonstrating what we have been saying all along.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:28:21 AM »
"and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public."

Preparation necessarily includes learning, and there was none — intentionally.

Intentional ignorance on the part of a writer.
Intentional ignorance on the part of a gun owner.

I'm afraid that I find myself being judgemental — but then I maintain that if one is never judgemental. one never shows judgement.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »
Because, you know, I'm sure ol' Tony at the gun shop would have straight up told her to GFH if she asked him how to use the thing.

Or she, you know, read the *expletive deleted*ing manual on the guns basic operation.

But again, not taking simple common sense steps to figure out the basics of the damned thing wouldn't fit her agenda and unrealistic scenario.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:51:18 AM »
The hypocricy is killing me.

Ms magazine, a feminist rag of the highest order ( :barf: ) is posting a blog about a woman who cannot figure out that the government shouldn't need to tell her learn before you buy/carry.
God forbid the government tell her it knows best for her body, because she's intellegent to make those decisions for herself. But when it comes to guns, oh NOOZ why doesn't the government tell her she can't get one of these "killing weapons" without training!?!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
This just makes me ill. Would love an hour with her.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
The hypocricy is killing me.

Ms magazine, a feminist rag of the highest order ( :barf: ) is posting a blog about a woman who cannot figure out that the government shouldn't need to tell her learn before you buy/carry.

She's dumber than that. She can't even figure out how to turn on her Google machine and look up "handgun safety course my area."

Quote from: idiot
Finally, what happens when you don’t want that gun any more?

Toss it in a dumpster? Sell it at a gun store? How is this a problem?  ???

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
My reply waiting moderation:

MOST people would have sought SOME training, even if only from a knowledgeable friend before handling a firearm. Those that don’t normally have at least been exposed to guns to have a clue. You have done neither and that makes you a fool as only a fool gets a gun with no idea what they are doing. YES, you followed the LAW. What you didn’t do is use ANY sense, much less common sense.

There are tons of people and places that will give you the minimal training that one should have for free. When the NRA tries to do this they are bashed and trashed even while you acknowledge that one should have it if one is to handle a firearm! Thank God you are carrying an empty gun! That is the first thing you have done right as you are not to be trusted with a gun by your own admission.

What do you plan to do if confronted by a criminal? Threaten them with an empty gun? That isn’t very smart. Great way to wind up dead AND give a gun to another thug! There, that make you proud? Great way to make a point. What do you plan to do with the gun when you are done? Have you even thought of that?

The law can’t protect everyone, especially fools out to do themselves harm. YOU have responsibilities like finding out enough NOT to be a willful danger to society just to make a point.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
Her problem seems to be that someone COULD get a gun without the government requiring them to be proficient and therefore they COULD hurt someone, including themselves.

Do you know what, Mizzy? The government also does not require that you get training so that you are proficient in understanding issues, such as vaccinations, before allowing you to speak about them. And, people could get very dangerous ideas spread that cause injury to themselves, their children and others. Somehow, the response to this isn't "THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO SHUT THESE PEOPLE UP!" (and rightly so) but, these people need to be educated and kept as far away from me and my family as possible.

I treat unsafe gun handlers the same way. Attempt to educate and if I fail, I keep myself and my family far away from them. It's one of the necessary tradeoffs when you don't want the government deciding who is allowed to exercise rights.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »
Yes, I bought a handgun and will carry it everywhere I go over the next 30 days. I have four rules: Carry it with me at all times, follow the laws of my state, only do what is minimally required for permits, licensing, purchasing and carrying, and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public.

The last two points are contradictory.

On March 12, 2010, I was surrounded by big hairy men with guns on their hips, yelling at me as I led a protest against Starbuck’s gun policy.

She may remember it that way.  I suspect it's imagination rewriting memory.  Or a complete lie.  Video or it didn't happen.

(The gist of my posted comment.  "Awaiting moderation".  Yeah, right.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:56:51 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:02:30 AM »
Is she literate?

Last I check Glocks came with a manual covering, among other things, clearing, loading, and firing a pistol.  There's even pictures. 

While I agree that training and practice are awesome, any American that can figure out an new ipod or laptop out of the box can safely carry a handgun just by reading the instructions included. 

I agree with BSL.  That a feminist blogger would spend this much time playing helpless girl, and that her readers wouldn't call her on it, is disgusting.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
If she really wanted to make a point to bolster her side of the argument, she would have earned a felony record and then obtained a gun through a straw buyer or other illegal method before going on to prove how dangerous guns are by some negligent or malevolent act.
She proves nothing on her current track. Law abiding (but untrained idiot) buys gun, gets scared, nothing happens... Hardly worthy of a blog, even in ms mag.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:30 AM »
Is this for real?

I suspect that she's making the whole dam thing up.   =|

Where is a CCW permit easier to get than a dog license  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
If she really wanted to make a point to bolster her side of the argument, she would have earned a felony record and then obtained a gun through a straw buyer or other illegal method before going on to prove how dangerous guns are by some negligent or malevolent act.
She proves nothing on her current track. Law abiding (but untrained idiot) buys gun, gets scared, nothing happens... Hardly worthy of a blog, even in ms mag.

She'll get the felony charge when she "accidentally" shoots someone. Maybe it will be the next cop she hassles on the side of the road.

After that, she can do as you suggest.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »
What she's trying to do, of course, is act out the latest HCI/Brady/etc. talking point, that it's trivially easy to buy a gun legally.  "Harder to get my dog vaccinated."  Many of the replies repeat this.

Us gunnies know its utter raving bulldroppings, of course.  She wasn't paying attention when the pretty yellow form with all the intrusive questions was being filled out?   She apparently in a state where open carry is legal and permitless.  PA?  Let her drive down the road to one of the other east coast people's republics, and she'll find out how complicated a gun owner's life can get.

Maybe things will get better with this series.  Let's hope.  Get her out to the range, and run through some basics.  Throw a can out there and let her roll it around with a .22.  She might change her tune.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:51:23 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.