Author Topic: George Zimmerman Trial  (Read 219311 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #675 on: August 08, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
The bus driver, 64-year-old John Moody, can be heard frantically calling a radio dispatcher for help, although he was criticized in some quarters for not physically intervening.

Pinellas County school policy does not require a driver to intervene and prosecutors have said Moody will not face charges, but Gulfport Police Chief Robert Vincent told WFLA that Moody should have stepped in.

"There was clearly an opportunity for him to intervene and or check on the welfare of the children or the child in this case, and he didn't make any effort to do so," Vincent said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/07/florida-school-bus-beatdown-goes-unnoticed-by-self-styled-civil-rights/?test=latestnews#ixzz2bODYBTCz

Well at least the bus driver wasn't a wannabe cop like Z ...  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #676 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Well at least the bus driver wasn't a wannabe cop like Z ...  :P

And who can blame him? One of the reasons i posted that is because I wonder how many other people will now "walk away", when they would have otherwise helped pre-Zimmerman/Martin.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #677 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
And who can blame him? One of the reasons i posted that is because I wonder how many other people will now "walk away", when they would have otherwise helped pre-Zimmerman/Martin.

Even before Zimmerman, I'm quite certain the bus driver would be crucified were he to step in physically and stop the youths. (By this I mean even grabbing them by the arm and pulling them away.) The schools have made it clear that no one is to even TOUCH a "child".

His livelihood, at least, would be instantly gone. Likely the state or the families would sue him afterwards.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #678 on: August 08, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
The fact the little white snitch is still alive is proof of his white privilege.

The three victims that beat him up never stood a chance and are now being persecuted by the state.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »

I don't think I can buy that. In a lot of other cases, I would, but the bus driver is not some passerby. He's responsible for the well-being of the kids.

I'm not second-guessing him. I just don't think we can blame the followers exploiters of St. Trayvon the Innocent for what happened in a completely different sort of incident.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #680 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
64 year old man, on the verge of retirement against three 15 year old thugs...assuming these thugs are what I see around the courthouse, grown up bodies with 15 year old brains, the driver would have been lucky if he tried to intervene and didn't end up on the floor next to the victim.  For some reason, people equate "juvenile" with kid.  The Zimmerman case sure showed us that a young male is capable of fighting, violently and effectively.  I don't blame him much for calling for help instead of jumping in.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
Men in their mid to late teens have been doing hard labor and fighting in wars for all of recorded human history. The infantilizing of people into their late teens (early 20's/30's these days) is one of the worst things about Western society.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #682 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
I don't think I can buy that. In a lot of other cases, I would, but the bus driver is not some passerby. He's responsible for the well-being of the kids.

I think the morality and the ethics of people here are not the societal norm, especially in urban areas. Chris also makes a good point. With the age of the bus driver, unless he had at the very least something like pepper spray, he would have ended up in as bad of or worse shape than the kid that got beat up. Had he used pepper spray, I'm betting he would have been fired.

I agree that as a school bus driver he has a responsibility to the kids, but unless he's given (and allowed to use) the proper tools and training needed to protect them in a situation like this, his options are limited.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #683 on: August 08, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
With the age of the bus driver, unless he had at the very least something like pepper spray, he would have ended up in as bad of or worse shape than the kid that got beat up. Had he used pepper spray, I'm betting he would have been fired.
Pepper spray + enclosed bus + loaded with kids = yeah, probably fired. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #684 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
If the driver - disarmed by policy AND probably the law - had intervened, he may well have been another victim.

Assuming he wasn't fired, but left on the job, either the perps or their homies would have targeted him, knowing his route, his schedule, and the fact that he was disarmed.

If Trayvons 1, 2, or 3 had an injury - real or imagined - civil suits against the driver would result. And the school district would fall over themselves throwing him under the bus - he'd be entirely on his own.

Being given "responsibility to the kids" is meaningless unless it includes both the authority and the means to exercise that responsibility. In the case of a school bus driver, that means safe driving. Period.

It's a sad commentary on our society, but I have a hard time faulting him when every likely consequence to his intervention would be negative.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:26:25 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #685 on: August 08, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
...It's a sad commentary on our society, but I have a hard time faulting him when every likely consequence to his intervention would be negative.

Every day I am reminded why I live as far from society as possible.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #686 on: August 08, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
64 year old man, on the verge of retirement against three 15 year old thugs...assuming these thugs are what I see around the courthouse, grown up bodies with 15 year old brains, the driver would have been lucky if he tried to intervene and didn't end up on the floor next to the victim.  For some reason, people equate "juvenile" with kid.  The Zimmerman case sure showed us that a young male is capable of fighting, violently and effectively.  I don't blame him much for calling for help instead of jumping in.

Men in their mid to late teens have been doing hard labor and fighting in wars for all of recorded human history. The infantilizing of people into their late teens (early 20's/30's these days) is one of the worst things about Western society.

All of this.  "Drummer boys" and "Powder Monkeys" and such were very young.  15YO sons of the aristocracy could get commissions as ensigns and serve on ships or in the Brit army.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #687 on: August 08, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
Every day I am reminded why I live as far from society as possible.

Preach it brother!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #688 on: August 08, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
I think the morality and the ethics of people here are not the societal norm, especially in urban areas. Chris also makes a good point. With the age of the bus driver, unless he had at the very least something like pepper spray, he would have ended up in as bad of or worse shape than the kid that got beat up. Had he used pepper spray, I'm betting he would have been fired.

I agree that as a school bus driver he has a responsibility to the kids, but unless he's given (and allowed to use) the proper tools and training needed to protect them in a situation like this, his options are limited.

Like I said, I'm not second-guessing his decision, unless he himself is saying that the Zimmerman case influenced his decision. I don't see the two situations as being all that similar.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #689 on: August 08, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
64 year old man, on the verge of retirement against three 15 year old thugs...assuming these thugs are what I see around the courthouse, grown up bodies with 15 year old brains, the driver would have been lucky if he tried to intervene and didn't end up on the floor next to the victim.  For some reason, people equate "juvenile" with kid.  The Zimmerman case sure showed us that a young male is capable of fighting, violently and effectively.  I don't blame him much for calling for help instead of jumping in.

Quoted for truth.

The job of a school bus driver is to drive the bus. He is NOT a security guard, and senior citizens and/or women (who make up the predominance of school bus drivers) should not and cannot be expected to be capable of intervening against even a single teen-age thug, let alone a small gang.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #690 on: August 09, 2013, 06:43:33 AM »
I think this is a good summation of the effect the trial had on people who might otherwise intervene

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/07/and-media-has-delivered-lesson.html
Look, tiny text!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #691 on: August 11, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »
And the stupidity continues ...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/10/mural-of-george-zimmerman-shooting-trayvon-martin-unveiled-in-florida-state-capitol/

Mural supposedly depicts Zimmerman shooting Martin.  Problem: it bears no resemblance to what actually occurred.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #692 on: August 11, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »
Poor headline. By definition, a "mural" is painted on a wall. This is a painting, not a mural. It's a poor paiting at that, and (as already noted) does not even attempt to depict the incident as it occurred.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #693 on: August 11, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/10/mural-of-george-zimmerman-shooting-trayvon-martin-unveiled-in-florida-state-capitol/

Mural supposedly depicts Zimmerman shooting Martin.  Problem: it bears no resemblance to what actually occurred.

There are people.....even those with "power", who think that Zimmerman literally executed Martin. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #694 on: August 11, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Nah, the painting is just sideways. Turn it so Z is on his back, and it almost makes sense.

Well, no, it's still totally wrong.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #695 on: August 11, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »

That is utterly reprehensible.
I wonder if Zimmerman has grounds to sue?   Probably not as he's almost really a public figure now.  But I think I'd sue ... or try.
Geeeeesh .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #696 on: August 11, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Poor headline. By definition, a "mural" is painted on a wall. This is a painting, not a mural. It's a poor paiting at that, and (as already noted) does not even attempt to depict the incident as it occurred.

So is that libel or slander?  I too lazy right now to Google the distinction.

even attempt to depict the incident as it occurred

Georg Zimmerman, all in black, standing, in a half Weaver stance, shooting some hand cannon  with huge muzzle flash.  Yeah, thas' exactly what happen'.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:32:33 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #697 on: August 23, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #698 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
Oh, God. Wait until the media sees that scary-looking gun.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #699 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
Nathan Futrell, (1773-1829) was said to have been the youngest drummer boy in the American War of Independence; he joined the North Carolina Continental Militia at the age of 7.

Twelve-year old drummer boy William Black was the youngest recorded person wounded in battle during the American Civil War. John Clem, who had unnoficially joined a Union Army regiment at the age of 9 as a drummer and mascot, became famous as the ""The Drummer Boy of Chickamauga" where he played a "long roll" and shot a Confederate officer who had demanded his surrender. An 11 year-old drummer in the Confederate Orphan Brigade, known only as "Little Oirish", was credited with rallying troops at the Battle of Shiloh by taking up the regimental colors at a critical moment.

Drummer boy John Clem during the American Civil War.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.