Author Topic: President Acts on Gun Control where Congress won't !!!!  (Read 12205 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: President Acts on Gun Control where Congress won't !!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Dumb question:  If I set up a trust to get supressor, don't I still have to get a background check done?  Wouldn't anyone else who was later added to the trust?

It's not like Stringer Bell and Ray-Ray can just go in, file the paperwork and $25 registration fee. (YMMV in your state)  Yes, you still have to pass the NCIS check.  You just don't need the CLEO sign-off.  Maybe AJ can answer it better.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
It's not like Stringer Bell and Ray-Ray can just go in, file the paperwork and $25 registration fee. (YMMV in your state)  Yes, you still have to pass the NCIS check.  You just don't need the CLEO sign-off.  Maybe AJ can answer it better.

The Grantor or Trustee who picks up the suppressor registered to an NFA trust is subject to a NICS background check at the actual time of transfer/handover. Maybe it's a grey area in the law/rules, but there's NO SOT/FFL who will not do one.

Of course, the whole thing is up in the air now.  The new rule proposal Eric Holder just signed off on yesterday, it's still unclear if CLEO sign off's have been eliminated for everyone, making trusts moot for most people, or if CLEO sign offs have been added to trusts too. It's very unclear, and a FFL 07/09 SOT friend of mine and Monkeyleg's was talking with the ATF that very day getting his new business premises inspected/signed off on, and he said the ATF inspectors/agents had no clue as to what was going as of yet either.

There's all sorts of speculation and re-reporting flying everywhere over this. People pissed at NFATCA thinking they did this to us on purpose for some tin-foil-hat theories that "rich NFA collectors" wanted the NFA market made more difficult to enter into. (Exact opposite if this is bad, it'll reduce demand and liquidity and prices of pre-86 MG's and exotic/expensive DD's, not raise them...) , others who understand what NFATCA was trying to do to help us (and throw the ATF a bone by making trusts less attractive to reduce their paperwork load) but still pissed they just "didn't leave well enough alone".

And some like me still hoping there's a slim chance CLEO sign-off is still being done away with, and there's still lots of misinformation and FUD going on. I see a tiny chance that we may be going to universal CLEO notification (like when you apply for an 03 C&R FFL)  and CLEO approval is still going away. Admittedly a very slim chance.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:04:44 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »
People pissed at NFATCA thinking they did this to us on purpose for some tin-foil-hat theories that "rich NFA collectors" wanted the NFA market made more difficult to enter into.

I've actually seen a thought like this expressed from a collector on why he doesn't want the registry opened up. :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »
I've actually seen a thought like this expressed from a collector on why he doesn't want the registry opened up. :mad:

Yes, but that's the Hughes amendment to the '86 FOPA, Obama's/Holder's Executive Action (different than an EO) to put out proposed rulemaking changes for the NFA process would only hurt pre-'86 transferable MG prices.

At least this isn't a done deal... yet. It still has to go through the public comment period, and Proposed Rulemaking process etc.
I promise not to duck.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
I can't wait to hear their explanation for why a K98K is an evil military death machine while a Remington Model 700 is okie dokie.

They will eventually say that if a K98K is banned and a 700 is just as deadly then the rule obviously and legally includes the 700 by default.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Sniper rifle!  Ban it!

Let's face it, if it ain't Joe's good old double, they're gona have some reason.

Nein.  Double barrel shotgun+hacksaw=constructive possession of an urban beverage redistribution terror weapon.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
funny how we are discussing

"and how would you like your rights infringed today, my dear?"

JN01

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
I can't wait to hear their explanation for why a K98K is an evil military death machine while a Remington Model 700 is okie dokie.

K98s were used by Nazis.  Nazis are racists, so the K98 is a racist gun.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
So does this mean the end of the DCM (formerly CMP) and all the Lend/Lease M1 Garands?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/29/1234749/-POTUS-to-Close-Gun-Sale-Loophole-Executive-Style?detail=facebook
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
So does this mean the end of the DCM (formerly CMP) and all the Lend/Lease M1 Garands?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/29/1234749/-POTUS-to-Close-Gun-Sale-Loophole-Executive-Style?detail=facebook

Probably.

However, nobody but American shooters can possibly have them, they don't have much modern military utility (yeah yeah... let's not go there, I even saw the pic of the FSA guy last week with one and a bandoleer of en bloc clips... everyone should know what I mean.) and hopefully the various foreign .govs will just sit on them for another three years waiting to see if there's a red-state POTUS and a reversal to see if they can be imported again.

The Garands in various warehouses have waited this long, they can wait a little longer.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
I even saw the pic of the FSA guy last week with one and a bandoleer of en bloc clips... everyone should know what I mean.)

I feel left out. :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »

What I learned from G98's post is that I may not be of the same species, let alone the same culture, as the commenters at Daily Kos. Holy moly, the most left-wing local liberals here can't hold a candle to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
Yeah, I hate using Daily Kos as a source of news, but the liberals here in the Madison area are crowing about how wonderful this Executive Order is, and using that blog as the definitive news feed. 

Friggin' sad.  Repatriated M1 Garands and M1903 Springfields - the source of all evil.   ;/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Probably.

However, nobody but American shooters can possibly have them, they don't have much modern military utility (yeah yeah... let's not go there, I even saw the pic of the FSA guy last week with one and a bandoleer of en bloc clips... everyone should know what I mean.) and hopefully the various foreign .govs will just sit on them for another three years waiting to see if there's a red-state POTUS and a reversal to see if they can be imported again.

The Garands in various warehouses have waited this long, they can wait a little longer.

How many Garands are out there in Korea, waiting for re-import?  Millions, I think I recall.  Not an insignificant chunk of change for the good Koreans.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
How many Garands are out there in Korea, waiting for re-import?  Millions, I think I recall.  Not an insignificant chunk of change for the good Koreans.

I'm unclear whether the DOD or CMP pays anything for the Garands they get back.  Isn't it part of the terms of accepting our arms in the first place, that we get first right of return prior to any intent of destruction or sale to another party?  And DOD still facilitates the international return of the weapons and turns them over to CMP, even though CMP is no longer DCM and government run?

Maybe Obama is arming the FSA/AQ folks with Garands and carbines, sort of like how he's arming the Mexican cartels.  "Shooting the guns that Americans won't shoot?"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
Not sure what was expected from a bunch of gun ignorant people on that site. 

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." --Dom Helder Camara, archbishop of Recife

I saw this quote on that site.  I guess it must really show you are an idiot when you quote idiots. That isn't why they called you a commie, stupid.  There is a big step missing there, but I guess that is typical of leftist thought. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge