Author Topic: Yes Boys and Girls, you can cut the Defense Budget and not hurt readiness.  (Read 3587 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I personally would start with a 20% reduction in headcount at the Puzzle Palace and in Headquarters units (HHD, HHB*, HHC, and "Special Troops" Battalions).   Less needless tail, more tooth.   

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/budget-appropriations/324163-think-tank-proposes-sequester-level-defense-cuts

* - No, not just Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, but now Headquarters and Headquarters BATTALION.  WTF. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
scout26:

That is what they are working.  Going from ~45 BCTs to ~33 BCTs...with the roughly the same number of combat BNs at the end of the day.  Losing ~12 BGDE's worth of HQ & log bubbas.  Moving sustainment orgs into the NG. 

The remaining BGDEs will be bigger & badder, averaging one more combat BN per.  Also, some beefy R&S units are to be stood up in the reshuffling, the kind that can truly fight for intel.  The fewer BCTs does mean that we are limited as to the area in total that they can cover and means that we are going from being able to conduct 1.5 major operations down to 1 major operation.

To sum up: similar "combat power," but not able to cover as much area with ~33BCTs as they did with ~45BCTs.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
I often wonder how the ratio of enlisted men to general officers compares to the ratio we had when we were winning WWII . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
Now that dear government has got Al Qaeda ground forces fighting wars for it in Libya, now Syria, I think that the defense budget can be cut a little. You still have to surrender your Constitutional Rights to DHS though...  =D
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I often wonder how the ratio of enlisted men to general officers compares to the ratio we had when we were winning WWII . . .

Roughly? Today 1.4 million Active duty, 800K Reserves. End of WWII 12 million in uniform. Pretty much the same number of flag officers then and now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
There can be (and as rooster mentioned, it's happening) some SIGNIFICANT cuts made without hurting readiness.

But that doesn't grab headlines the way "ZOMG THE TROOPS WONT GET PAID THIS MONTH" does.

I, for one, would be all about trimming a ton of excess fat. To include my own unit. Although I love it, everything it does can be done elsewhere, and IS done elsewhere.

But then again, we don't need to, since it's being turned back into an engineer battalion from a "special troops battalion" Which means instead of small hodgepodges of people, we'll have a battalion with one mission.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Concur with rooster and Fitz. There is plenty of fat that can be chopped, with no combat readiness loss. If it is properly implemented, I will die of shock.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hutch

• friend
Concur with rooster and Fitz. There is plenty of fat that can be chopped, with no combat readiness loss. If it is properly implemented, I will die of shock.
Kill the F35.  That'll save plenty.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Well, the plans thus far look much better than one could hope for.  Implementation has yet to occur, so you have a reprieve.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
And if you did hurt readiness, readiness is not everything.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Yes Boys and Girls, you can cut the Defense Budget and not hurt readiness.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
Best way to save money is to spend wisely.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
The federal budget has gotten so bloated over the last 15 years, I doubt there is any budget section that couldn't use some cuts.  Yes, social security also.  Anyone looked lately at how much money it gets versus how much is paid out? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
You might be able to make a pile of money selling slightly-used Bradleys to other countries.*

That should offset the budget cuts a bit.

*All vehicles "as-is", no warranty implied or given, cash or drugs only in exchange, no returns. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »
You might be able to make a pile of money selling slightly-used Bradleys to other countries.*

That should offset the budget cuts a bit.

*All vehicles "as-is", no warranty implied or given, cash or drugs only in exchange, no returns. 
Screw that. Surplus them babies out to used car lots across the land along with other fun toys. That'd stimulate the economy right up. At least I'd find it stimulating.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
Screw that. Surplus them babies out to used car lots across the land along with other fun toys. That'd stimulate the economy right up. At least I'd find it stimulating.

You say that now...but wait until the soccer moms with their cell phones & makeup mirrors trade in their Suburbans for them....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.