Author Topic: Elio  (Read 12583 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Elio
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
http://www.eliomotors.com/

Legally a motorcycle, but 3-wheeled enclosed with a 900cc engine that gets 84mpg.  Front wheel drive.  Two-seater, in-line seating.

American made.

$6800.

That's effing awesome.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Elio
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Has cupholders, and an option for automatic transmission. Pure win.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
Dear God I better not let my wife see it...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »
Get a motorcycle trailer to go with it and it would quite utilitarian.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »
http://www.eliomotors.com/

Legally a motorcycle, but 3-wheeled enclosed with a 900cc engine that gets 84mpg.  Front wheel drive.  Two-seater, in-line seating.

American made.
$6800.

That's effing awesome.

edited for proper emphasis!   =)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:23:03 PM »
That's about half the price of a CanAm Spyder, and it keeps ya dry!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
They should make it rear-engined/RWD. It'd open up a lot of storage space up front (essentially turning the current engine bay into a trunk), and it'd be a bit more sporty. Downside is it'd be a little bit longer.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
They should make it rear-engined/RWD. It'd open up a lot of storage space up front (essentially turning the current engine bay into a trunk), and it'd be a bit more sporty. Downside is it'd be a little bit longer.

It'd also handle like slop in the rain and snow.  1 pressure point on the ground, no paired power wheel.  I normally favor RWD, but I don't think so in this case.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
Agreed. For a three wheeled vehicle, two powered wheels up front is truly superior to the more traditional trike set up.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
It'd also handle like slop in the rain and snow.  1 pressure point on the ground, no paired power wheel.  I normally favor RWD, but I don't think so in this case.

wouldn't all the power to one wheel work better than splitting the power and weight of the axle between two wheels?  not to mention even better gas mileage as you're not turning dual driveshafts?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:05:42 PM »
Legally a motorcycle, so the occupants have to wear helmets (in states with helmet laws)?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Not knowing motorcycle engines, is that big or small?

How does this compare with smart cars?  I assume those itty bitty cars are the main competition?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
Do the front wheels lean into a turn like the CAN-AM's?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »

How does this compare with smart cars?  I assume those itty bitty cars are the main competition?

Used to be considered big.  Now-a-days, not so much.  Current larger bikes have engines over 1300cc's.  My last bike had 1100cc's & a 6 speed trans.  Second gear was good from stop to ~90mph.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Legally a motorcycle, so the occupants have to wear helmets (in states with helmet laws)?

When Michigan still had a helmet law, you were required to wear one on a three wheeled vehicle. Other states may be different though.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
I assume that the rear wheel does not steer  :O

Otherwise, I'm not sure why this wasn't done 30 years ago.  Actually I think it was but it didn't take off - I remember seeing a YT some time ago about something built in the 1980s  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »

in the early 80's, the largest goldwing tour bike was 1200cc.  now there are some out there with 1800cc engines.  our 2001 CRV (honda suv) was only 1900cc.  a roomate of mine ran a"midget" racecar that had a kz900 bike engine.  i'm curious who makes the engine, and how the parts supply will be.

this company must not have any stockholders.  motorcycles of this size are going for 9k, and they have fewer components.  the can-am runs from 17k-30k.  at a price of $6800, i can't imagine that there would be any profit beyond modest workers wages.  also, i can't imagine dealerships springing up nationwide as salesmen like a cut as well.  maybe factory direct shipping?  btw, i'm not complaining if the profiteers don't get their cut, as far as i'm concerned we could all afford products like this if we took them out of the loop.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
A nice update on the Messerschmidt Bubble Car, but still a bit narrow for my carcass.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:24:00 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
There are a few designs out there similar in concept, but they lean like a motorcycle.  To me, that would be the selling point, as the g force's would tend to push one down in the seat, like on a MC or in an airplane- the sensation is of carving the corner.

The reason all these cool designs are three wheelers is because the FEDERAL REGULATIONS pertaining to cars do not apply to thee wheeled vehicles.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
That's about half the price of a CanAm Spyder, and it keeps ya dry!

I was thinking the same thing.

WANT!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »

in the early 80's, the largest goldwing tour bike was 1200cc.  now there are some out there with 1800cc engines.

I would put a 900cc engine somewhere in the middle ground these days. 600cc seems to be very popular.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »
Otherwise, I'm not sure why this wasn't done 30 years ago.  Actually I think it was but it didn't take off - I remember seeing a YT some time ago about something built in the 1980s  =|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »