Author Topic: Elio  (Read 12614 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Elio
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »
That's pretty cool. The SF video (perhaps wrongly) says it gets 50 mpg...still not bad.
I already see an aftermarket for hot rodding that thing.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
That's pretty cool. The SF video (perhaps wrongly) says it gets 50 mpg...still not bad.
I already see an aftermarket for hot rodding that thing.
50 in town, 80ish on highway.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »

The reason all these cool designs are three wheelers is because the FEDERAL REGULATIONS pertaining to cars do not apply to thee wheeled vehicles.

And all these 3-wheeled designs would be better, and safer, if they could use 4 wheels. There is pretty much no reason to use 3 wheels, except that the government will actually permit you more freedom if you use the inferior platform. It is impossible for me to be attracted to Spyder-type vehicles, knowing that they were designed not according to engineering principles, but were designed around Federal regulations.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Elio
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 05:10:03 AM »
ever see the givs idea of a safe motorcycle? ala jian claybrooks regime?

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 06:45:18 AM »
And all these 3-wheeled designs would be better, and safer, if they could use 4 wheels. There is pretty much no reason to use 3 wheels, except that the government will actually permit you more freedom if you use the inferior platform. It is impossible for me to be attracted to Spyder-type vehicles, knowing that they were designed not according to engineering principles, but were designed around Federal regulations.

having four wheels may be safer, but would lose in the gas mileage and performance category due to the extra weight.  the elio also gives up visibility, which I have always considered the largest safety bonus of a bike.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
having four wheels may be safer, but would lose in the gas mileage and performance category due to the extra weight.  the elio also gives up visibility, which I have always considered the largest safety bonus of a bike.

Kind  of like a recumbent bicycle that none of the road-hypnotized driving zombies can actually see because it's so low.

I'd like to know something about its crashworthiness.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
Kind  of like a recumbent bicycle that none of the road-hypnotized driving zombies can actually see because it's so low.

I'd like to know something about its crashworthiness.

it does have 3 airbags, and a crumple zone front and back.  in the video they claim something like "soon to be given 5 stars for impact" rating.   =D   if i was gonna be hit, i would rather have a cage with airbags around me than nothing.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
it does have 3 airbags, and a crumple zone front and back.  in the video they claim something like "soon to be given 5 stars for impact" rating.   =D   if i was gonna be hit, i would rather have a cage with airbags around me than nothing.

Yep. A traditional motorcycle is a crumple zone.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I remember those little cars.

I knew a guy that has 3 or them.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
having four wheels may be safer, but would lose in the gas mileage and performance category due to the extra weight.

Unsubstantiated; and I have no reason to believe it. 3 wheels have less rolling resistance than 4 if they are the same size wheels, but have you seen the size of the rear wheel on the Spyder? They just make it bigger to compensate for having one, yet they still give up the stability advantage of 4 wheels. Rolling resistance isn't the sole performance metric, things like you know, handling and cornering are important too and there's no way throwing out a wheel helps those things.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
Unsubstantiated; and I have no reason to believe it. 3 wheels have less rolling resistance than 4 if they are the same size wheels, but have you seen the size of the rear wheel on the Spyder? They just make it bigger to compensate for having one, yet they still give up the stability advantage of 4 wheels. Rolling resistance isn't the sole performance metric, things like you know, handling and cornering are important too and there's no way throwing out a wheel helps those things.

my thinking is that it has more to do with weight reduction and wind resistance, not to mention the added friction from the fourth wheel bearing.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Unsprung weight of wheel/tire/spindle, the weight of the suspension for that 4th wheel, the weight of having bodywork around that 4th wheel, the rolling resistance, the extra brake rotor/caliper/pads/brake lines,  sway bar, you name it.

Yep. A traditional motorcycle is a crumple zone.
  :rofl:

As a motorcycle rider myself, that flipped my giggle switch, I'll have to admit! 

Anybody remember the OSHA horse?

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
In Oz, "cowboys" are now required to wear helmets  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
In Oz, "cowboys" are now required to wear helmets  ;/
Please tell me this is a joke.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
What I want is an open wheel- think formula ford - car with the wheels and the drivers pod set up to lean into the corner. It would use a high output MC engine like a Busa, have four MC tires say 180/55x17, use a chain drive to a limited slip dif. RWD.  Weight around 1000 lbs.

That carver is a real hoot, but again, it suffers from  FEDERAL REGULATORY nightmare avoidance syndrome.
 ( FRNAS) 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
Please tell me this is a joke.

No, but I can't remember where I read it.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
Joan claybrooks 450 k design

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x201/hultman89/Claybrook.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »
I've been seeing things like this around town, recently:

Stupid *expletive deleted*ing safety nazi unskilled untrained devices to give a false sense of security to people that don't learn how to DRIVE A *expletive deleted*ing MOTORCYCLE PROPERLY.

Hint:  You'll NEVER learn to ride properly if you use these since you'll never learn to counter-steer.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
Wait, seriously? That's a real thing, not just a "training wheels for Harleys" joke?  :O
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »
Wait, seriously? That's a real thing, not just a "training wheels for Harleys" joke?  :O

Yes.  They exist.  Srsly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
 :O :facepalm: :O :facepalm: :O :facepalm:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
High-end ones.   ;/

http://www.trikealternative.com/

With the flip of a switch unlock the stabilizing wheels to provide a two wheel ride. With another flip of a switch immediately lock the wheels to provide the stability of a trike. The wheels are always on the ground ready to lock or unlock in an instant.

At your fingertips is the ability to control the stabilizing wheels, raise them to provide a two-wheel ride. Lower them with the flip of a switch to provide the stability of a trike. Consider them landing gear for motorcycles - for 1500 and 1800 Goldwings only.

Yes, people ACTUALLY think FEEL that these stoopid things INCREASE stability. :O  :rofl:
--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »
I've been seeing things like this around town, recently:

Stupid *expletive deleted* safety nazi unskilled untrained devices to give a false sense of security to people that don't learn how to DRIVE A *expletive deleted* MOTORCYCLE PROPERLY.

Hint:  You'll NEVER learn to ride properly if you use these since you'll never learn to counter-steer.

that can't be real!   :facepalm: :facepalm:  the only thing that's good for is parking on hot asphalt. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
^^^ I have always wondered if those training wheel setups would be good for an experienced rider who was perhaps starting to experience balance issues from old age or vertigo or something.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.