Author Topic: What to do with an unwanted engagement ring?  (Read 4935 times)

cdma

What to do with an unwanted engagement ring?
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:56:43 AM »
So I bought an engagement ring and then broke up with my girlfriend of two and a half years. Wrong order, I know. We broke up in October, see each other about once a week, are on good terms when we do see each other, but don't make any significant effort to see each other. Getting back together seems highly unlikely.

So I have this ring which is sitting in a deposit box that I'm not sure what to do with. It's a platinum setting with a 3/4 ct. diamond and I'd like to recoup as much as I can. Does anyone know how/where one goes about selling something like this?

I'm also open to any suggestions from anyone who thinks I should hang on to it.

Sean Smith

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:19:34 AM »
Why is everyone on this forum having their relationships crap out this month?  You're like the 5th person on this forum to have some kind of breakup this month...

You are probably going to take it in the shorts when it comes to re-selling that thing, but keeping it would be insane.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »
Advertise it in the newspaper.  You could probably get better than half of what you paid for it.  Start with an asking price of about 90% or so.  
Don't hang onto it.  Next time, ask your new love to marry you and then let her pick her own set out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pebcac

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:41:46 AM »
If you can come up with a good story to go with it, there's always eBay.  It seems like the wedding dresses and rings and so forth that become available after a breakup always get a lot of attention on eBay, and maybe it'll help you drive your price up.

JamisJockey's got a good idea, too.  I work with a guy who sold an antique diamond ring via the newspaper because he won't be needing it due to...ah...an orientation issue.  It was pretty funny to hear him explain it.  Cheesy
Problem exists between computer and chair.

Penman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 03:04:31 PM »
You'll take a hit if you sell it, but don't know what further use you'll have for it. You could fasten a treble hook to it and see what it will catch...

nico

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 03:16:25 PM »
I'll give you $50 for it Cheesy

Seriously though, if it's in like new condition, the place you bought it from may take it back.  It's been a while so it'll probably be a stretch, but you could always check with them.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »
Pawn it and buy a gun, I did that once. I felt much better after doing so. Smiley
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:47:39 PM »
Why is everyone on this forum having their relationships crap out this month?  You're like the 5th person on this forum to have some kind of breakup this month...
The forum is cursed, CURSED I SAY!!!

Dispense with it.  Maybe take it to a couple of different jewelers and get some purchase appraisals.  I doubt that you'll get full retail back on it, but you may get close.  Maybe you could also have the stone and metal reworked into another peice, maybe for yourself if you are the kind that wears rings and such.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cdma

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 07:26:41 PM »
Quote from: brimic
Pawn it and buy a gun, I did that once. I felt much better after doing so. Smiley
Once I sell the damn thing, I'll be able to get a nice gun. And a rifle. Or two.

While we were dating, I did buy the ex a Sig P226. Never got around to transferring ownership before we split. Oh, well.

One thing which I hope works in my favor is that it's a platinum setting which has suddenly become fashionable. I guess I'll stop by a few jewelers and see what can be done.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »
Why is everyone having their relationships crap out this month?

I don't know. Must be something in the food supply. I'm about to dump off some excess baggage myself and upgrade to a newer and better model. Tongue

To answer your question: Recover as much of your expense as possible.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

client32

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 03:46:25 AM »
If you have the reciept, the place you got it from might take it back.  Sometimes they will only allow you to get something different.  If so, ny suggestion is to get something that you can recoupe more money out of.  Maybe a watch?  I don't really know.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 05:33:31 AM »
have a jeweler saw open the back and get it made into a nose ring.

wear it for 8 months as a reminder to look before you leap

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 07:42:28 AM »
I was in a similar situation years ago.  I kept the ring and was able to trade it in when I found the real true love of my life.  I got full retail for trade, plus put in again that much on the wife's ring.  Check with the store and see if you can trade it, and how long you have.  If you can trade it whenever, hold onto it until you're ready to trade it in.

Ryan

spacemanspiff

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 08:19:10 AM »
I'm about to dump off some excess baggage myself and upgrade to a newer and better model.
theres something better out there in the aleutians?Huh?  surely you jest! cheesy
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »
Charby's advice and experience from been there and done that.

I was engaged once, I broke it off and she gave the ring back. Since it had been longer than six months since I bought it (nine months at the time and 6 months before the wedding) the store wouldn't take it back or even exchange for other merchandise. I was thinking maybe get some bling bling for myself and mom on the echange program.

I went to several pawn shops and all I could get for a $1800 ring was about $250-300, even tried trading it on a several handguns they had in the $400-500 range, no dice there.

Since it was a 5/8 carat diamond, I was thinking hmmm I'll get a ring made for me out of the diamond, of course once I talked to the jeweler I didn't want to fork over another grand for a unique setting for myself.

So I just threw it in my jewery box and forgot about it until I bought my mother a Platinum saphire and diamond ring for her 55 birthday and I remembered I had the solitare engagement ring in my box. I gave my mom her birthday present and she just ooo and awed about it. I asked her if she remembered the engagement ring I bought for _________ 6 years ago, and she yes that was a nice ring. I asked you really liked ________ and she liked you quite a bit. Mom said too bad it didn't work out but things happen for a reason. I then asked her if she wanted to see the ring, she said yes, so I dug it out and told my mom she could have it.  My mom was even more shocked becuase the ring was way bigger than the 1/4 carat my dad gave her when they got married x number of years ago. I told she now has two nice rings to wear out when her and dad go out on the town.

I think I made the right choice on what to do with the ring.

Charby

p.s. Btw about the time I joined APS or Apes as I like to call it, I started dating a really good woman so I think that this board is not cursed but helps those find or keep the right  person.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

spacemanspiff

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 10:06:15 AM »
dude!!!! a psychologist could have a field day with that one post!

you gave your MOM an engagement ring!!!!

cheesy j/k. as long as you didnt get down on one knee when you gave it to her, i guess you're alright.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 10:46:06 AM »
spiffy

Psychologists already have a field day with me..

and No I didn't get down on one knee.. I got down on both.. ha ha ha Tongue

Charby

edited..  I before E except after C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Anna G.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 12:34:10 PM »
*raises hand* I... actually I started my first relationship this month and I am quite happy. Feeling better? Cheesy

Note: Since cdma broke up with his girlfriend back in October I thought the period was long enough for my statement not to sound like cruel rub in. I hope it doesn't. Smiley

spacemanspiff

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 01:20:43 PM »
yeah but you women got it easy. you can have any one of us.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Anna G.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 06:23:27 AM »
I wish that was true. If it was I wouldn't have to be alone all this time, while some of the girls my age were going through boys like through handkerchieves. Men are not less picky than us. :/

Blah, sorry for hijacking the thread. Tongue

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 06:43:07 AM »
Anna

I think it varies from person to person. I used to change women about as much as I changed my underwear, always finding something wrong with them that bothered me. As I got older I started getting a little more pickier and I had a couple of bad endings to a few realtionships I didn't want to get out of and that really made me picky on who I want to be with for a while also made me realize what I wanted out of a realtionship.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gus Dddysgrl

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 06:49:43 AM »
Maybe if you keep it and when you do find the right one, propose with it then tell she can trade it if she wants.  Otherwise try a bunch of places then talk them up.  Like go to a couple of places and then say something like well they gave me this price could you give me something better.  Otherwise I don't know.  

I have a couple of guys give me rings(only one was an engagement ring) and I still have all but one.  I gave back the one guy's high school ring.   I didn't feel right keeping it.

Hope you get something good for it.  

Gus
Leigh Ober

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 08:54:28 AM »
Not a fan of engagement rings - I have had those sharp little things thrown at me on three seperate occasions.  

Guys get really touchy when their proposals are rejected...especially the one I wasn't aware I was dating.

If I am ever in danger of getting engaged, I'll have to explain I want a new gun instead.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 10:42:28 AM »
catsdie, have you thought of jumping the gun (so to speak) and proposing yourself? if so, feel free to buy me an engagement gun, i'd like a browning hipower please, customized and tricked out. if you'd like to personalze it, you can have it engraved with the inscription "to spacemanspiff, the fattest ninja in alaska".

who knows? i might even wind up falling in love with you if you did that.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 04:08:23 AM »
Spiffy - I've got a better idea...why don't you get Wild Alaska to propose?  I'll bet he's even got your BHP in stock and can do the smithing himself.  

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll look a little closer to home.  I'd like to visit your state sometime, but I don't think I am tough enough to survive the winter there.