Author Topic: Ender's Game Movie Review  (Read 2328 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ender's Game Movie Review
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
I read the book a few years back as an adult and thought it was brilliant.  I saw the movie by my lonesome, though, for reasons I will get into below.  This will be mostly spoiler-free.  I will make note of significant spoilers with plenty of warning and hope others will, too.  I will not ask for a spoiler-free discussion, just give warning.

Overall Review
Mediocre as a movie and as adaptation from novel.  Don't go out of your way to see it, but no need to run screaming if a buddy loads it up...like you really ought to if he loads up, say, Liquid Sky or Encounter at Raven's Gate.

Story Background
The book and movie agree on the background: Earth was attacked and nearly destroyed by aliens.  Since surviving the attacks, Earth has engaged in an effort to recruit the absolute best possible fighters and leaders from as early an age as possible.  The Earth military figured that young minds had a better chance of learning fast and being flexible enough to counter a truly alien threat.  At the beginning of the book, Ender is 6YO and at the end, he is roughly 15YO.  He works his way through the various filters set up to catch the less-able and eventually makes it to the top of the selection process.

Book Peculiarities
The book, as I wrote above, is brilliant.  Really some of the best scifi written in the last century.  If you have not read it, I urge you to do so.  I have read only EG, not any of the follow-on books.  From reading about them, I figured I would find them disappointing.  This is not the majority view, however.  I know what I like and don't and no longer feel compelled to force my way through a series with grim determination if I realize I may not cotton to subsequent efforts.  Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Movie Peculiarities
Relative to the book, the movie is shallow stuff.  Even on its own, it was mid-grade Star Trek Movie quality and nothing to get excited about.  Some of this is inevitable, some a failure of execution, but some was deliberate.  The most egregious is that they blew the ending, robbing it of its power almost completely.  It was a conscious decision to kill the profound and replace it with fluff & utter.  Sad.

Material
I saw it without the kiddos as I felt the book material too much for children my kids' ages (7 & 9).  It is PG-13 and if the movie had the same level of tension and had the disturbing emotional punch of the book, it is better geared toward the 15YO+ crowd.  Note, I am not so fussy when it comes to fantasy violence in general.  My kids understand that is fiction and I have allowed them to see PG-13 films.  It is the more mature themes in Ender's Game that I thought too much for their unfiltered consumption.

In the end, the movie pulls most of the punches.  One of them being the age of the actors and the movie time span.  The actors look intended to be in the 15YO+/- age range, while the book starts when Ender is 5/6 and ends when he is age 15 or so.  And the movie seems to occur in months, not years.

SPOILER ALERT
I suspect most any discussion / response will be spolierific.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Ender's Game Movie Review
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Two other reviews with spoliers:

Mild spoilage:
http://issuesetc.org/2013/11/07/2-the-movie-enders-game-pr-ted-giese-11713/

Lotsa spoilage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UT6NcRSv70
She drops some f-bombs, but a decent review of book & moive.  "Impactful" is of the Devil.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
The trailer clips of that mocie remind me of 'The Last Starfighter.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
Concur. It wasn't the most horrible, but it wasn't the greatest. The movie seemed too short. Everything was ultra condensed, and you get the impression only weeks or month pass.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
Saw it and wasn't impressed. Did not enjoy the movie to the extent I enjoyed the book.

Book Peculiarities
The book, as I wrote above, is brilliant.  Really some of the best scifi written in the last century.  If you have not read it, I urge you to do so.  I have read only EG, not any of the follow-on books.  From reading about them, I figured I would find them disappointing.  This is not the majority view, however.  I know what I like and don't and no longer feel compelled to force my way through a series with grim determination if I realize I may not cotton to subsequent efforts.  Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I would also recommend reading Ender's Shadow. I found it just as good as Ender's Game, and it takes place during the same timeline but from the perspective of Bean. I haven't branched out into the rest of the series though.
Andy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Ender's Game Movie Review
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
I, too, have read the book and saw the movie.

My impression is much the same: it's not the worst adaptation,  but it's not good either. They messed up the actual heavy parts pf the book due to their skewed liberal worldview. 

For example (extremely unimportant spoiler) when Ender makes a big scene about his messages home being censored and the Colenol being so over the top and tyrannical in response I almost shouted at the screen.

They think, first, that we are so dumb that we can't comprehend censorship in a war for survival of our species and second that ultra-genius Ender wouldn't have all this already completely figured out!?

The condensing was understandable but badly done. The struggles within himself were almost completely missing and, as noted, they fully screwed up the end (in addition to it being completely implausible. )

Overall, I was disappointed. If you haven't read the book, though, it's a halfway decent movie, slightly better than most of Hollywood's offerings.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Re: Ender's Game Movie Review
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
Overall, I was disappointed. If you haven't read the book, though, it's a halfway decent movie, slightly better than most of Hollywood's offerings.

By that standard it's a smashing success.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
Saw the movie, haven't read the book. I thought it was really good. One of the best comeback lines when they are in the classroom. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
It has been over ten years since I read the book, but I didn't think it was all that bad.  I was sort of hoping there was an extra long director's cut coming with 30 or 40 minutes of movie. 

I did think they needed an extra 10 minutes of movie time at 3 or 4 different places to flesh out the story.  It was too condensed, but that is the case with just about any book adaptation without doing an extra long trilogy.  Even The Lord of the Rings trilogy left stuff out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
Saw it and wasn't impressed. Did not enjoy the movie to the extent I enjoyed the book.

I would also recommend reading Ender's Shadow. I found it just as good as Ender's Game, and it takes place during the same timeline but from the perspective of Bean. I haven't branched out into the rest of the series though.
Ender's Shadow was very good as well as a couple books that follow it.  I heard the Ender sequels that follow Ender weren't so good so I never read them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 09:40:45 PM »
In my experience, films based on very good, and very detailed novels often fail to live up to the quality of the text version.  Not enough time to make it work.  Think I'll hold off on the film and read the novel first..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
Having simply scrolled directly to the bottom of this thread.

Appropriate for a 13 year old to read the book?   Watch the movie?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Having simply scrolled directly to the bottom of this thread.

Appropriate for a 13 year old to read the book?   Watch the movie?

A 13YO with his head on his shoulders, sure, or the average 15YO.  Put another way, if the 13YO is trustworthy around firearms and is not otherwise morally compromised, he probably is ready for the stressful and disturbing stuff.  The book is harder-hitting, but is more a slow burn.

The movie pulls most the punches and is a mediocrity.  If you have limited time together, see/do something else.  Like, maybe, read the EG book while apart and talk about it later.  There is a whole mess of topics to talk about that are raised by the book.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »
We went to see it last night.  And I, having read all the books in the series, was disappoint.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.