Author Topic: FBI cant?  (Read 7171 times)

brimic

• friends
FBI cant?
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
What's it for? Is it just for easier concealability?
Is there any point to using a FBI cant holster to smaller pistols?
Am I missing something?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: FBI cant?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
Better concealibility for larger handguns.

Dunno about smaller handguns, I just favor the cant for ccw of medium to large pistols.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
For carrying behind the hip, maybe  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
I prefer thieves' cant to bureaucratic thug FBI cant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves'_cant
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
FBI cant do anything right  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »
I find it screws up most rigid holsters something fierce that have any kind of retention beyond a thumb strap (like a form-fitting trigger guard) and makes draw insanely difficult. I guess it works okay on soft leather holsters that are more forgiving, but well molded kydex, don’t bother, even if the mounting options allow it.  It just creates an angular pull against the draw direction of the holster without some serious practice to ingrain the muscle memory/reflexes to draw at the angle matching the cant.

You’re also adding just a few more degrees of rotation or fractional seconds to get the muzzle on target anyway.

I guess a canted holster makes sense if it gets it back to vertical though on your particular pants/belt/body shape.
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
I think this:
Better concealibility for larger handguns.

Dunno about smaller handguns, I just favor the cant for ccw of medium to large pistols.

and this:
For carrying behind the hip, maybe  ???

in addition to putting the gun in a closer-to-vertical position while seated, especially in a vehicle.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
I like a slight forward slant on my OWB holsters.  I find it aligns the grip with my hand more naturally.  I'd say the cant is twenty degrees or less, not fully horizontal.  I'm RH and wear it about 4-4:30.

My first reaction when reading this thread title was, "FBI can't . . . do what?"
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
I find it screws up most rigid holsters something fierce that have any kind of retention beyond a thumb strap (like a form-fitting trigger guard) and makes draw insanely difficult. I guess it works okay on soft leather holsters that are more forgiving, but well molded kydex, don’t bother, even if the mounting options allow it.  It just creates an angular pull against the draw direction of the holster without some serious practice to ingrain the muscle memory/reflexes to draw at the angle matching the cant.
You’re also adding just a few more degrees of rotation or fractional seconds to get the muzzle on target anyway.
I guess a canted holster makes sense if it gets it back to vertical though on your particular pants/belt/body shape.

This is assuming that one only draws using their hands.

Use your hips to draw the gun as well.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
I'm guessing that consistency in training was part of the idea as well. Personally, I like the angle.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
I find it screws up most rigid holsters something fierce that have any kind of retention beyond a thumb strap (like a form-fitting trigger guard) and makes draw insanely difficult. I guess it works okay on soft leather holsters that are more forgiving, but well molded kydex, don’t bother, even if the mounting options allow it. 

I guess that explains why just about every strong-side hip holster is made that way.  ???

Works for me, so far.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: FBI cant?
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
FBI can't is 15deg.  Works for me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »
I carry a small pistol, and I tried straight vertical, but it's much harder to draw than with a cant.  YMMV, of course.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
YMMV, of course.

Probably the most important thing uttered in this thread.

Some carry methods work beautifully for some people, but terribly for others. I came across a forum thread in which someone insisted that a Govt. Model simply couldn't be worn comfortably. No matter how well-constructed the carry gear, it would always be pulling one's pants down.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:07:51 PM by fistful »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
I carry a small pistol, and I tried straight vertical, but it's much harder to draw than with a cant.  YMMV, of course.

As Fistful said about YMMV....

It seems easier or more natural for me to draw and present from the hip with a vertical holster. I recently picked up a DeSantis scabbard holster for an M&P Shield, it carries fantastically, but the draw feels a bit unnatural for me while standing- I found the angle to be great while sitting though.  It might be becuase my right wrist isn't as flexible as normal due to an old injury. I don't know...

Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
I use the uncanted slots with the holster I bought with my new plastic gun, but (as always) in crossdraw, 9:30ish o'clock.  This positioned it pretty well.  I tried it canted on my strong side and found it was ridiculous. with far too much arm-bending involved, so I moved it to the crossdraw position.

It's a molded holster and I'm pretty sure I don't like it.  I'm going to figure out how to soften it up, especially around the trigger guard area.  It looks perfeshunil and all taktikul, but, um, it's, um, concealed anyhow.  Duh. 

And I live in fear that the retention straps are going to grab the DA trigger on re-holstering.  Probably irrational, but then again, most of my fears are irrational.

I really liked carrying my 1911 at the aforesaid 9:30ish IWB sans any holster at all, and everybody thought I was crazy for doing that.

But my mother had me tested.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:27:30 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
Double post.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:27:56 PM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
And I live in fear that the retention straps are going to grab the DA trigger on re-holstering.  Probably irrational, but then again, most of my fears are irrational.

I have that fear as well.

Barack Obama

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »
Actually, I'd prefer a reverse cant on that particular holster I referred to.  Sort of an IBF cant. Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.

I tried some of the boxful of holsters I have, but none worked.  I also carried it bare-nekkid in my pants front pocket, but it printed badly.  (A small revolver in that pocket doesn't print as badly, because the cylinder bulge sort of makes it look like I've just got a pocketful of stuff.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:07:58 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
...the cylinder bulge sort of makes it look like I've just got a pocketful of junk.

TMI

230RN

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »
Oh, I think I just got it.  I shoulda used "stuff" instead of "junk."

I shall edit accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:13:36 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
 =)  Just joshin' ya, man.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 07:06:49 AM »
Oh, I think I just got it.  I shoulda used "stuff" instead of "junk."

I shall edit accordingly.

Or just take a picture of it and send to BSL so she can add it to her collection  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.  My mind just doesn't always work "that way."

Moving along, now, as I said, the cylinder protrudes from my pocket, making it look all bulgey, but it doesn't look like I'm packing a lot of firepower like the nine does.

Terry