Author Topic: G2R 9mm RIP ammo  (Read 29104 times)

freakazoid

• friend
G2R 9mm RIP ammo
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:27:12 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c&feature=youtu.be
Looks impressive.
Also, what in the world is that carbine? at 2:30?

Also, love the Richard Machowicz/Don LaFontaine narrator.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:30:13 AM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
Re: G2R 9mm RIP ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:22:03 AM »
If by impressive you mean "a really stupid gimmick" then sure.  ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
I saw this on FB and posted it to Tam's page as she always interested in the latest and greatest in "high-speed" training "techniques" along with the newest exploding pants operator ammunition.

As an aside, other then poor weight retention, the un-known quality of the gelatin used, and the markeing hype, there's the preospect of sitting on the witness stand and having Mr. Tile-crawler questioning you regarding your choice of defensive ammo, then playing that youtube clip to jury.  "RIP ammo ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Freakazoid wasn't looking to protect himself, he was out for blood and by using RIP ammo, he didn't want to just stop the threat.  Oh no, he was looking kill whoever crossed his path."

Yeah, they need more exploding pants in their marketing materials.  That really hooks the true operators and shows that stuff can only be used those professional enough to handle it.  ;/ ;/ ;/ ;/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:30:30 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »
Yeah no.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
Company founded by ex-employees of Extreme Shock?

As an aside, other then poor weight retention, the un-known quality of the gelatin used, and the markeing hype, there's the preospect of sitting on the witness stand and having Mr. Tile-crawler questioning you regarding your choice of defensive ammo,

Vs. just buying the hollow point stuff from Walmart.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »
Individually CNC-machined projectiles are no doubt pricey . . . how much would it cost to fire 100 - 200 through your chosen self-defense firearm to establish reliability? And . . . I have reservations about the QC of small "boutique" brands of ammo.

The effects of full-auto fire on the gelatine blocks were not particularly impressive.

As for tile-crawlers . . . at least Glaser called their load the "SAFETY slug." (And saying you used a particular load "Because it was on sale at Wal Mart" would defuse allegations of your use of "exotic, super deadly" ammo.)

I can see justification for something like this in CA, since they seem determined to outlaw lead in bullets. But elsewhere?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Oh its impressive alright...impressive at separating idiots from their money.

I cannot wait to be accosted at the gun counter by the first window licking retard who has a hi point with the magazine half full of this bullshit ammunition (because that's all said retard could afford) going on about how it's the most awesome ammunition in the world.

This is gimmicky bullshit marketed to the Taurus Judge and pistol bayonet crowd. I cannot wait to hear at the gun counter and gun forums about how awesome this bullshit ammunition is.

It's already spreading like a *expletive deleted*ing disease.

It's frangible ammunition (which SUCKS against people) dressed up all fancy

Personally I'll stick with Speer Gold Dots. Widely available, cost effective, very reliable, effective ammunition that is well known and does not rely on smoke and mirrors and bullshitium to get the job done.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Oh its impressive alright...impressive at separating idiots from their money.

I cannot wait to be accosted at the gun counter by the first window licking retard who has a hi point with the magazine half full of this bullshit ammunition (because that's all said retard could afford) going on about how it's the most awesome ammunition in the world.

This is gimmicky bullshit marketed to the Taurus Judge and pistol bayonet crowd. I cannot wait to hear at the gun counter and gun forums about how awesome this bullshit ammunition is.

It's already spreading like a *expletive deleted* disease.

Personally I'll stick with Speer Gold Dots. Widely available, cost effective, very reliable, effective ammunition that is well known and does not rely on smoke and mirrors and bullshitium to get the job done.

Do we have an official APS curmudgeon?  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:41:22 PM »
He is kind of cranky, isn't he?

I'm still working on my case of those evil Black Talons I bought all those years ago. 

People ask me what they are, and I just say Winchester Ranger SXT.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Yawn. Wake me up when there's a version that's fissionable. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
Yawn. Wake me up when there's a version that's fissionable. 

Or made from depleted uranium.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »

I don't think it would be considered frangible ammunition. It seems more like a hollow point where instead of the sides curling back they separate into barbs creating their own wound channel.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

I'm still working on my case of those evil Black Talons I bought all those years ago. 

I still have a few boxes of those myself. Kind of wish I would have bought a case like you did. I could probably sell them today for 50% over what I paid.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
Do we have an official APS curmudgeon?  =D

I thought vaskidmark and I were vieing for that title.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
Holy Dooshie, Batman! :lol:

"The last round you'll ever need."  Hmm.  Nothing quite like an underweight 96gr 9mm round that sheds half its momentum and mass immediately on impact. ;/

Might as well shoot the attacker with #7 bird shot from a shotgun.

I strongly suspect they watered down their gelatin for these vids.  I don't think a ~50gr 9mm half-projectile is going to go through 18-24" of properly calibrated gelatin, especially after using impact force to calve off a dozen splinters.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
Holy Dooshie, Batman! :lol:

"The last round you'll ever need."  Hmm.  Nothing quite like an underweight 96gr 9mm round that sheds half its momentum and mass immediately on impact. ;/

Might as well shoot the attacker with #7 bird shot from a shotgun.

I strongly suspect they watered down their gelatin for these vids.  I don't think a ~50gr 9mm half-projectile is going to go through 18-24" of properly calibrated gelatin, especially after using impact force to calve off a dozen splinters.

This pretty much sums up my initial thoughts on the video. Especially the gelatin; I don't think I've ever seen completely clear ballistic gelatin before, and that makes me think it wasn't calibrated properly.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
Here's the discussion:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11100-quot-R-I-P-quot-Radically-Invasive-Projectile-quot

I think it's clear that most people will miss the point of this round. It's the most efficient round for G18 33 round mag dumps. It turns 33 rounds into 198 birdshot sized fragments plus 33 FMJ rounds that you can get on target within seconds. Run one in each hand and you're practically invincible.

Is there a "mall ninja" emoticon?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

or

Needs to be fatter, with moar gunz.  And a Segway.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
Needs to be fatter, with moar gunz.  And a Segway.

Well I can't just pull that out of my ass now

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »

I personally think think Boom has won it naturally, hands down!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
I personally think think Boom has won it naturally, hands down!

I don't think he meets the "greybeard" requirement, though. Until he gets one of those he's just a misanthrope.   >:D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
I don't think he meets the "greybeard" requirement, though. Until he gets one of those he's just a misanthrope.   >:D

If he keeps working at that park, he'll have grey hair within the year...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
I don't think it would be considered frangible ammunition. It seems more like a hollow point where instead of the sides curling back they separate into barbs creating their own wound channel.

You have awoken the APS Curmudgeon, and he is now awake.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/frangible  This stuff breaks - intentionally, too. 

It has a hollow point, which would be another discriptor of certain characteristics of the item.

It's made of copper (but not pure copper), for another descriptor.

So, most appropriately it should be described (ignoring a host of other descriptors of technical minutiae) as a 9 mm frangible hollow point copper alloy projectile.

Or a festering pile of brain-rotting hyperbole in search of someone already disenchanted with the performance of the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqkT77LOgY  bolo bullet.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.