Author Topic: Dogs- Mutts vs. Purebreds  (Read 16567 times)

...has left the building.

Dogs- Mutts vs. Purebreds
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:04:47 PM »
I've had two dogs in my lifetime, a mutt that was a mix of two other mutts. And the other dog, which still lives with my parents, is pure Siberian Husky. The husky of course by its very nature, is tough to train for things like sticking around off of a leash because they're so independent-minded. Now my mutt on the other hand, would listen to every command issued with little or no training. The husky seems to be far more intelligent though.

Just taking a quick survey of the people I know, most of the people who have mutts tend to have a better relationship with their dog. The dog listens better and is more consistent in its behavior. I want to get another dog in the next few years here but I want to choose it very carefully. What have been APS' experiences in the matter? If you're a pure bred fan, which breeds do you recommend for a dog that will stick close by through walks through the woods, decent at guard duty, and friendly with children? I don't want a dog that has a high maintenence personality like the siberian husky. I also don't want a dog that will cost $3K after purchasing the puppy and having to have it trained professionally.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:19:29 PM »
I don't know if you can say whether a mutt or a pure bred is better in disposition. I think mutts generally tend to be freer from genetic defects and pure breds you are more likely to know exactly what disposition they should have before you get them.

I have a Rottweiler/Shepherd mix that I would recommend to anyone that has a lot of space and wants a "Guard dog" that doesn't really pose any menace to anyone other than the perceived menace because he's big and ferocious looking and barks vigorously to announce the arrival of visitors, but lets children tug his ears without snapping.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

natedog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:30:18 PM »
I've been around some really nice mutts, and absolutely awful purebreads. In terms of personality, it seems to be on an individual case basis.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 02:24:30 AM »
I have two mutts now.  We grew up with pure breeds, American Eskimos mostly, and I'll take a mutt every time over a pure bred dog.  There are too many good dogs out there in shelters, etc. that people don't want because they have selfish egos and just have to have the latest, coolest dog whether it be a German Shephard, Rottie, Lab, etc.  Granted, you may not always know what you are getting but overall, I'd have to say I have been far more impressed with the mutts I have run across over the years than the pure breeds.  Just my opinion of course and you know what they say about those...

Greg

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 02:41:48 AM »
The two best dogs I've ever owned are mutts.  Satch was an accident at a breeder's.  A springer spaniel and a rottweiller got loose in the middle of the night and well ...  He looked like a stocky black lab with jowls.    Smiley  He was very smart and trainable.

My current dog Bob was rescued by a friend of mine.  Best I can tell looking at him he's part Dalmatian, part Lab, and part Pit Bull.

Bob will listen to everything I say, but if he gets the chance to run off and explore it's an adventure trying to get him back until he's good and ready.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:43:34 AM »
We've had two mutts, one a lab/dalmatian and one a lab/springer spaniel/probably something else. They were both great, friendly dogs, okay watch dogs, but wouldn't hurt a fly. Neither were terribly well trained but that was more our fault I think. The lab/dalmatian knew more commands than the other.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 09:49:28 AM »
My folks have a Shar-pei/Golden Retriever mix.  She's so smart it's spooky-The brains of a shar-pei, without all the health problems of that breed.  Very independent, loves people, hates most other dogs.  I'd clone her if I could.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

DigMe

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
My current purebred boxer is the best dog me or my family has ever owned.  Smart as a whip and a beautiful disposition..oh and also just plain beautiful.  We're getting another boxer this summer.  Our current was my first ever purebred dog.  I agree in principle that rescuing a dog from the pound is a great thing and I'd like to but man, I just want another boxer at this point in my life.  Maybe I'll rescue some more mutts in the future.

brad cook

HForrest

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 10:52:29 PM »
None of my dogs have been purebred, because they were all rescued or adopted. I currently have what seems to be a German Shepherd/Chow mix. He's surprisingly calm for 1 or 2 years old, and has been a great family dog. However, that's not to say he doesn't have the instinct to protect his owner. I've had nothing but good experiences with him, and all the other mutts I've owned.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 04:44:15 AM »
Mutts rule!   For just pets get a mutt.  I have two one we got from a neighbor who couldn't keep her and another my wife found in the woods. The woods one is the only dog I ever had issues with but the other one is the best dog I ever had. They are both sitting and looking at me right now. ( I just ate a pizza slice) You may need a specific breed for hunting but just as a pet a shelter dog is fine.

My mother had 2 boxers and one always got so excited when I visited it would pee on the floor. No boxers for me, thank you.

pete

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »
It depends on the breed, the owner, and the individual animal.

We had a purebred springer.  Papers and everything.  Sweetest dog I have ever seen, great with the family, and large enough that he wasn't afraid of me as a little kid, so he never reacted to me violently.  He personally raised the next two dogs.

Number two was a pure beagle.  He was a good, friendly dog.  He and I were best buddies until he passed away.

Number three was a pure lab.  She was nutty as a fruitcake.  She would chew on herself, eat rocks and then vomit them up on the porch, and had poorer spatial perception and reasoning capacity than the beagle.  On the plus side she had a good disposition, so living with her was alright.

The current fuzzball is a chow/shepherd mix.  She has a chow appearance, and a shepherd brain.  She's an absolutely wonderful dog, even if she does have large shepherd ears on a small chow head.  She likes to run and play with the neighborhood kids (I just let her loose on them in the front yard), and then she comes in and climbs up on my bed to sleep.

The difference in the dogs?  Springers are just friendly, and ours was raised by somebody else.  Beagles have a good disposition, and I raised him just by being his little boy.  Labs are genetically a little wonky, and my dad, who knows how to verbally abuse a dog but not how to train one, raised her.  Our current mix is friendly to begin with, and I have trained her patiently with the help of several books.

So the moral of the story is that you should try not to judge based only on breed.  Look at the individual animals to pick the right dog.

DigMe

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 11:59:29 AM »
Quote from: peteinct
My mother had 2 boxers and one always got so excited when I visited it would pee on the floor. No boxers for me, thank you.

pete
Gee, that's logical.

brad cook

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 12:16:33 PM »
Cool dog, combat wombat!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »
Mutts hold a special place in my heart.

I have 3 of them right now.  Missy is a female daschund/cocker spaniel ("weiner spaniel"), who I found back in 1994, and she was several years old at that time. Missy is almost permanently attached to my wife these days.  

Mighty Quinn is a female Chow/Spitz mix approaching 2 years in age, pitch black and absolutely gorgeous. She's also skitterish, untrusting of strangers, vocal, greedy, sharp as a tack, and tries to exert dominance on the other 2 dogs.  It only works on the male, the weiner spaniel shrugs her off and remains Alpha Female. She and my 22 year-old stepson are inseparable.

Bernie is my personal buddy, a male Catahoula Cur Hound/St. Bernard mix, found at the Humane Society the same time as Quinn, and is also approaching 2 years in age.  He's right at 100 pounds, powerful, and will pull you halfway across the house in tug-of-war.  If my truck's door is open, chances are he's right there in the passenger seat, ready to go.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 06:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Azrael
...eat rocks and then vomit them up on the porch
Wow-what a find!  I've never heard of a dog that learned how to toss rocks!  cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 05:16:24 AM »
My daughter has a mutt mix between a Laso Apso (little guard dog) and a standard poodle (large breed hunter).  Interesting mix.  Smart as any dog I've seen.  His body guard instincts are strong.  Every house or apartment he has lived in his preferred place to sit is the one place where he can watch all entrances into the house.  Just amazing how he can find that one spot.  Great dog.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 07:25:15 AM »
Quote from: Azrael256
It depends on the breed, the owner, and the individual animal.
Azrael writes truth.

Also, it depends on what you want.  Some breeds do some things better than others.

I like the German Shorthaired Pointers for their personality:
Optimistic
Enthusiastic
Energetic
Affectionate

The best mutt I've seen is a German Shorthaired Pointer/Lab mix.  Made a wonderful dog.  It had a lab size, the GSP brains, and lacked the lab "wonkiness": dysplasia & tendency to be a nutball.

IMO, the poor lab has been nearly ruined by its popularity.  Most I see today are examples of the perils of over/interbreeding.  The best lab is a lab mutt (also IMO).  If you must have a purebred lab, do extensive homework & be willing to pay good $$$ to the only the very best of breeders.

I hope most folks forget that a GSP won Westminster this year.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Smoke

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 12:41:28 PM »
As a GENERAL rule:

Mutts will have hybrid vigor giving them less health problems and more percieved intelligence.

It doesn't have to be a whole bunch of mixed up genetics, an F1 cross will display the reults as well as a "Heinz 57".

I have had 2 Australian Shepherd/Border Collie Crosses.  Both parents were pure bred.  In both instances the pups out performed the parents, had less problems, and were better dogs all around.

Put me down for "Mutts Rule!"

Smoke

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »
"It depends on the breed, the owner, and the individual animal."

In my experience, it depends more on the breedER rather than the breed.  

"Most I see today are examples of the perils of over/interbreeding."

Agreed.  

Given my personal experiences with "purebred" animals, and at the same time with "mutts," I am more inclined to side with the mutts.  Too many breeds seem to have been ruined for the sake of commerce.

I'll take my chances with a diverse gene pool...
To the stars!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 01:05:10 PM »
I have a lab, and yes they can be nuttier than a fruit cake and my 6 year old lab gets that way if I don't exercise her enough. She has a sweet disposition but barks like a killer if someone even lays a finger on the door knob from outside. For the most part she does quite well off leash unless she picks up the scent of a bird, but I want her to do that.

Lot of a dog dispositon is training and amount of exercise. I well trained and practiced dog is a delight to be around, also exercise as much as the dog will allow. A unexercised dog is a bored dog and less likely to be a good listener to how it has been trained.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

P5 Guy

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 01:44:19 PM »
My brother raises Goldens and they are great dogs. Sometimes a little on the goofy side but always fun to be around. If I had to have a purebred that's the way I would go. When I finally get time to have another dog I'll just go down to the pound and see which one likes me and go with that.
Dogs do need for their pack leaders to be around and right now I don't have the time to be a good pack leader. Bummer.

tcdrennen

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 07:14:55 AM »
We currently have a Schipperke, an American Eskimo, and a Yorkshire Terrier (aka Moe, Larry and Shemp.) I've had mutts and purebreds, but ALL have been adopted from the pound or from neighbors. The range over my lifetime has been from Great Danes to collie-setter mixes to varios terriers (Westies, Cairns, mixes) and a Dachshund.

They all get treated the same, and all are wonderful dogs, I do recommend having a big yard for big dogs; our three are about as bnig as I'd have in our So Cal postage stamp. When I was growing up in more rural eastern climes, big dogs were the rule.

Tara

Wingshooter

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »
I have 3 black labs.  One is a working dog (hunting) another is my wifes lapdog from the same litter, and a third that was a rescue lab from a neighbor that couldn't take care of her and is a working dog in progress.  These are my first "registered" purebred dogs I've ever owned and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

Before them I always had mutts and didn't enjoy them as much.  Of course it was my fault.  I didn't know how to train a dog and was too young to appreciate them like I should have.  Would experience on my part have made a difference?  Probably, but I'll never know.  Scout (my hunter) is well trained, only wears a leash when absolutely needed (i.e. training around other dogs as a curteousy), and is very obedient.  My wifes dog Maizey, is a sweetheart, but not nearly as well trained.  Abby, the new dog, is well on her way to being a fantastic dog.  Has a great desire to please, and retrieve, just have to get her barking under control.

They aren't "wonky" around people, although they get excited when they meet someone new.  They aren't a nuisance to others, something I'm very particular about.  So while the breed might have issues, good socialization and training can fix most of that.  Unfortunately most people don't take the time to do that.  I think that's true for just about any dog.
Pedro offers you his protection...

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »
Dig Me, You are saying that I can't make sweeping generalizations from a single data point. Where is the fun in that? I keed I keed.

However some dogs from some low rent breeders are more inbred then purebred.

pete

Holly76201

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2005, 08:03:53 PM »
If you'll go to the Discovery Channel's website ( and I can't remember if it www.discovery.com or www.discoverychannel.com) then you can get to the Animal Planet and they have a questionnaire you can fill out that focuses on several different criteria and they will tell you the perfect dog for you. And there are rescue groups for several different breeds, so you won't have to pay a breeder's outrageous fees. Or sometimes folks take pure breeds to shelters/pounds.
But, mutts or any pound rescue are usually so darned grateful that you have rescued them, they don't give you many problems.
Good Luck and Happy Dog Days to you.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean