Author Topic: Dean Koontz - "The City"  (Read 634 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Dean Koontz - "The City"
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »
I think this author has evolved from good to great, just as I thought fifteen or so years ago that he had evolved from run-of-the-mill to good.

I read half of it last night, and forced myself to put it down because I was wasting a great read by gobbling to greedily. He has a great new, utterly loveable,  character that I hope will become serial, like Odd Thomas or Frankenstein's monster (I misremember name), but has found a Poe like suspense rhythm that is much more frightening than his Indiana Jones one BOOYA! demon/axe murderer after the other rhythm.

Hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-standing-up-creepy-scary, without having to get any more vulgar than Poe or Shakespeare to produce it (in 2014!): I'll update this post when I finish the book.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Dean Koontz - "The City"
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
I think this author has evolved from good to great, just as I thought fifteen or so years ago that he had evolved from run-of-the-mill to good.

I read half of it last night, and forced myself to put it down because I was wasting a great read by gobbling to greedily. He has a great new, utterly loveable,  character that I hope will become serial, like Odd Thomas or Frankenstein's monster (I misremember name), but has found a Poe like suspense rhythm that is much more frightening than his Indiana Jones one BOOYA! demon/axe murderer after the other rhythm.

Hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-standing-up-creepy-scary, without having to get any more vulgar than Poe or Shakespeare to produce it (in 2014!): I'll update this post when I finish the book.

Interested.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
I'm a fan of koontz.  I think I have read all of his books.  I'll have to get The City.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
I wasn't really a fan of his back in the day. Odd Thomas and Frankenstein changed all that. I will have to check it out
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog