Author Topic: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!  (Read 83045 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Woo-hoo - we made the Drudge Report!
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
I thought I heard it was a trucker who spotted the white van at the rest stop and called it in. 

It was a dark Caprice instead of a white van but yeah.

I always feel better pulling into a rest area at night if there are some big rigs there already.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
I think it's amusing the way some folks feel entitled to automatic recognition as "good guys" either due to SPF the way they dress or their magic permit. It's a white bread thing I'll never understand

Huh?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2014, 06:50:37 AM »
I think it's amusing the way some folks feel entitled to automatic recognition as "good guys" either due to SPF the way they dress or their magic permit. It's a white bread thing I'll never understand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fistful beat me to it.

Huh??
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #428 on: September 19, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »

Huh?  ???

Fistful beat me to it.

Huh??

Seriously?  What part didn't you get?  Or was it the lack of commas that threw you off?

Possessing that magic hall pass seems to be the biggest contributor to the notion.  I guess it's like going to church once a week - as long as you show up you demand to be seen as righteous no matter what you do the other 6 days of the week.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
The funny thing about C&SD's notion is that appearing predominantly Asian, he's arguably even "whiter" in most American racial calculus.

Maybe he works hard to offset it with a ghettoish swagger and ebonics in his public life. (shrug)

The hard part is how to promote one's self as both a ex-criminal and a ultra-.gov-brownoser simultaneously, so they can perpetually engage in a self-referential "appeal to authority"-debate fallacy on any topics revolving around crime, police, and civil rights. I mean, it's easy on the internet in text, but IRL it must be much more difficult.

It's not exactly the kind of thing they make a t-shirt or a badge for. OTOH, those Cafe Press kind of places can be of immense help in these matters.

I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »
I appear Asian? That's not the general consensus . And I think my persona is fairly constant. It's not like I play revolutionary on the net ala Walter Mitty .

To help fistful out I was/am amused at how folks react to cops doing what they get paid to do. In particular the umbrage and it's accompanied bombast.
To an outside observer it seems that folks seem to believe that they are clearly identifiable as good guys and as such the cops are abusing them. It's right amusing. More so when you see some of the interactions where seemingly bright folks assert what they imagine their rights are.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
I appear Asian? That's not the general consensus . And I think my persona is fairly constant. It's not like I play revolutionary on the net ala Walter Mitty .

To help fistful out I was/am amused at how folks react to cops doing what they get paid to do. In particular the umbrage and it's accompanied bombast.
To an outside observer it seems that folks seem to believe that they are clearly identifiable as good guys and as such the cops are abusing them. It's right amusing. More so when you see some of the interactions where seemingly bright folks assert what they imagine their rights are.

I think people react not to what cops are paid to do, but to what we would like them to do.  Cops are paid to control, intimidate, and punish people.  What most people would like them to do is to stop treating citizens as the enemy.  The fact that cops treat me like I'm scum means that I'm going to treat them like they're scum.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
Putting this one in time-out for now....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.