Author Topic: Rick Perry indicted on 2 felony counts  (Read 7427 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Rick Perry indicted on 2 felony counts
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
A mug shot might improve his popularity with black voters  =D

Um.  Wow.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
This is the new tactic of the left- use the full power of a friendly DA's office in conjunction with the press in order to endlessly harass and smear prominent republicans.
In Wi, Scott Walker was investigated for 2 years under a 'john doe' investgation initiated by the milwaukee DA's office. Several republicans in key positions had their offices and homes ransacked with files and computers confiscated.  No charges were ever brought and the cases were eventually ordered shut down by higher courts. The goal was never to find a crime but to use the power of the legal system to make life a living hell for a lot of people.

This amounts to nothing more than political persecution, even more brazen than the IRS scandal.

Funny thing, this happened to my family. Except the Attorney General was Tom Corbett, who is a Republican.

A mug shot might improve his popularity with black voters  =D

Uh...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:02:05 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
Today's local paper, the Austin American-Statesman, has an article in which some members of the Grand Jury that indicted Perry insisted that politics wasn't involved in the indictment.

On the other hand, Drudge reports that one of the jurors was a Democratic Partly DELEGATE - who of course didn't let politics into the debate.   :facepalm:

Sure.

http://mediatrackers.org/national/2014/08/20/perry-grand-juror-active-democratic-party-delegate-jury-proceedings
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
Grand juries are usually paneled for a multi-month stint, meeting regularly to hear new cases.  Can grand jury members be selectively excused in csses like this, or are they required to participate no matter what?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »
He's got bigger electability issues, such as his 2012 debate vapor lock.

I think the indictment is bigger news. Between this and the National Guard/border issue, the 2012 debate won't define him like it did a year ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
It's a good-looking mug shot.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a good mug shot before.

Of course he can pardon himself iff he is still in office after he is convicted.  (that's why a criminal indictment instead impeachment is kind of weird)  His political career would still be over after a conviction.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:12:54 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
Always remember, the facts of the matter are irrelevant, it's the seriousness of the allegations that are what is important.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
How hard is it to get a Grand Jury Indictment?  I thought it was pretty easy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »

Indictments are sometimes disturbingly easy to secure.  The GJ is deciding if there is sufficient evidence to recommend assessment by trial.  Nothing has to be "proven" and presentation is everything.  Flimsy evidence can be made to look concrete, or a DA with impressive oratory skills can sway the jury's decision with force of will alone.  A simple straight majority vote is all it takes.

Maybe Chris will weigh in and shed more light on it.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:21:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
Indictments are sometimes disturbingly easy to secure.  The GJ is deciding if there is sufficient evidence to recommend assessment by trial.  Nothing has to be "proven" and presentation is everything.  Flimsy evidence can be made to look concrete, or a DA with impressive oratory skills can sway the jury's decision with force of will alone.  A simple straight majority vote is all it takes.

More importantly, there's no defense there to call them out on full-on BS.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »

Your question is backwards. It's virtually unheard of for a grand jury not to indict someone. The joke is any prosecutor with a room temperature IQ could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. It's funny, but it's also nearly true.

You have to be outlandishly and ridiculously popular, sympathetic or innocent to avoid indictment from any grand jury. Or have the prosecutor take a dive or be uncharacteristically incompetent, obviously.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »
Rick Perry made a comment that "This farce of a prosecution will be revealed for what it is, and those responsible will be held accountable."

A judge in Travis County didn't like that comment, and said she would "protect" Grand Jury members against "threats" like that . . . which might be "criminal"

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/judge-suggests-rick-perry-may-have-threatened-gran/ng64t/#cmComments

This judge - the only Republican in history elected to a state district judgeship in Travis County - switched to the Democratic Party some years back.

No politics here, of course.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
Figures the judge would try to redirect that comment on the jurors when he dang well knew it wasn't.  They know there is nothing else to say as this is blatantly political.  I heard someone mention that a lot of lefties aren't touching it knowing there is very little substance.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
I seem to remember the same play being run a few years back on Tom Delay.  Was that Travis County also?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »
I seem to remember the same play being run a few years back on Tom Delay.  Was that Travis County also?
Same county.  Different Democrat prosecutor I think.  He was found guilty, but the verdict was thrown out on appeal.  I think the law he was accused of breaking wasn't in effect when he did what he did. 

Not a big fan of Tom Delay, but the prosecution was a farce also.  The only positive I can say about Delay is he is the only DC guy in a leadership position I heard go on record saying he would not let the AWB be extended.  Everyone else at the time was at least making weaselly words about extending it even though they wouldn't.  Aside from that, he presided over the House that spent too much money and tried that Big Tent BS that eventually allowed Dems to get the House back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
Same county.  Different Democrat prosecutor I think.

IIRC, it was the one that groomed this one for the job.