Author Topic: Just got done watching "24". Now I'm pissed.  (Read 3673 times)

Glock Glockler

• friend
Just got done watching "24". Now I'm pissed.
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 02:02:35 PM »
Micro,

"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

This becomes very grey.  Suppose the police are notified that several people have just been murdered and they have a description of the suspect as a white male with dark hair, 5 foot 10-6 foot 4, age 25-35, wearing blue jeans and a black shirt, last seen fleeing the scene.  An officer spots someone who fits the description very well, and he is out of breath with blood on his hands.  

The officer approaches him but he claims he was working on his car and that's why his hands are bloody, and he is out of breath because he is a heavy smoker and was doing some difficult car work, but he doesnt have any witnesses to confirm this.  He is then detained and held for an hour until he is brought to the police station until a witness can view him in a line-up.  This happens every day, and you cannot tell me that his liberty is not being infringed upon if he is indeed innocent, but what else could you do in that situation?  Should you get his address and ask him politely to be there in case the police need to arrest him later for multiple counts of murder?

What is appropriate course of action in dealing with someone suspcted of many terrorist acts, who definately has ties to other terrorists, who meets the description of a person who recently commited a crime, has definately made contact with terrorists who are planning an attack, and very likely knows of that attack that will kill thousands?  I'm sure that with enough time and investigation you could put together a solid case against him but by that time 14k people are dead.

HForrest

Just got done watching "24". Now I'm pissed.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2005, 05:23:43 PM »
Temporarily detaining a criminal is much different than torturing someone. The murder suspect has access to a lawer, and will soon have access to fair bail. This is legal and a very different case then not allowing someone a lawer, not charging them with a crime, and torturing them.