Author Topic: Feminist myths  (Read 2898 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Feminist myths
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:11:55 AM »

A Time article debunking a lot of stuff. Thought you all would appreciate it, since ya hate womyn.

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Feminist myths
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
The most amazing thing about that article? That Time published it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
Great stuff. My nieces and sister-in-law repeat these so often on Facebook that I'm going to have a lot of fun with the article.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
MYTH 4: One in five in college women will be sexually assaulted.

Respondents were counted as sexual assault victims if they ... engaged in intimate encounters while intoxicated.

Umm... drunk intimacy is counted as sexual assault? So... is the guy being sexually assaulted if he's drunk too? Because if this is the case, most of the people I know have been sexually assaulted, AND have sexually assaulted others. What a vicious cycle.  :lol:

MYTH 5: Women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns—for doing the same work.

The bottom line: the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When such relevant factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing.

etc...

Oh yes, please beat this one into the ground. If I have to hear one more "feminist" painting a picture of two equally competent and experienced professionals earning substantially different pay for no other reason than their gender, my brain is going to turn into liquid and run out of my ears.  ;/
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
Oh yes, please beat this one into the ground. If I have to hear one more "feminist" painting a picture of two equally competent and experienced professionals earning substantially different pay for no other reason than their gender, my brain is going to turn into liquid and run out of my ears.

From what I've seen, men are a lot less likely to make a career out of entry level food service or janitorial jobs; the (non-short-bus) ones you see behind the counter at McD's, mopping the halls at the high school or waiting tables at Saltgrass tend to be younger guys or nontrad students working their way through college much more often than the roughly-equally-age-distributed women in those jobs.  That alone would skew an average pretty heavily.

I remember my mom working her butt off at the local diner 30+ years ago while taking a full course load.  I also see some of her old coworkers still waiting tables and bitching about how hard life is, while she is comfortably retired from a job where she made more than a lot of the men in similar jobs.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »

I remember my mom working her butt off at the local diner 30+ years ago while taking a full course load.  I also see some of her old coworkers still waiting tables and bitching about how hard life is, while she is comfortably retired from a job where she made more than a lot of the men in similar jobs.

Anymore I think if you took 2 equally competent and experienced/educated people, 1 a man, one a woman, doing essentially the same job and working the same hours, the woman is probably the more highly paid.  I've certainly seen that effect in engineering.  Maybe that's because it's still so male dominated that big companies at least feel they have to do that to avoid discrimination suits.  But whatever the reason, the effect is the same.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
Oh yes, please beat this one into the ground. If I have to hear one more "feminist" painting a picture of two equally competent and experienced professionals earning substantially different pay for no other reason than their gender, my brain is going to turn into liquid and run out of my ears.  ;/

Then YOU can be a feminist too!   :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
Anymore I think if you took 2 equally competent and experienced/educated people, 1 a man, one a woman, doing essentially the same job and working the same hours, the woman is probably the more highly paid.  I've certainly seen that effect in engineering.  Maybe that's because it's still so male dominated that big companies at least feel they have to do that to avoid discrimination suits.  But whatever the reason, the effect is the same.

In her case, she was an accountant; she made more because she found a lot more expensive (as in 6-7 figure) mistakes.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Umm... drunk intimacy is counted as sexual assault? So... is the guy being sexually assaulted if he's drunk too? Because if this is the case, most of the people I know have been sexually assaulted, AND have sexually assaulted others. What a vicious cycle.  :lol:

While that study seems very flawed, I doubt that sex between two drunks was counted. In most states, sexual assault statutes include more than just violent, forcible penetration. They often include groping someone's genitals and forcible kissing, though those are usually considered less severe with lighter penalties. Having sex with a person that hasn't consented or is incapable of consenting is illegal. In other words, if you have sex with someone that is passed out, you may have committed a crime. This is maybe what they were including.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
<snark alert>
In her case, she was an accountant; she made more because she found a lot more expensive (as in 6-7 figure) mistakes.

Ooorrrr, she knew exactly how the books were being cooked.

And took notes.

<cancel alert>

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46:23 AM »

Well, the experts tell us that people who have been sexually abused tend toward becoming abusers ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
While that study seems very flawed, I doubt that sex between two drunks was counted. In most states, sexual assault statutes include more than just violent, forcible penetration. They often include groping someone's genitals and forcible kissing, though those are usually considered less severe with lighter penalties. Having sex with a person that hasn't consented or is incapable of consenting is illegal. In other words, if you have sex with someone that is passed out, you may have committed a crime. This is maybe what they were including.
The article indicates that most of the studies are flawed in some way about this.  What I had heard before was that some studies were counting it when a woman indicated she had sex while intoxicated, but regretted it later.  What you are referring to is straight up date rape which is bad, but not quite the same as their definition.  The article also mentioned they often have a very low percentage of women responding to the surveys which will affect the outcome of the survey and wasn't addressed. 

Regardless of how bad or serious the issue, using bad data to support it doesn't help, and more likely hurts.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
No amount of statistical analysis can salvage a flawed study, one in which the data are incomplete or inadequate.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
No amount of statistical analysis can salvage a flawed study, one in which the data are incomplete or inadequate.

Bingo.  Heck, some of the numbers were outright made up. 

My refutation of women making less than men for the same work & job was:  Great!  I can start a business, hire only women, and have a 20% labor cost advantage over my competition.

Instead, once you adjust for everything it turns out that women tend to trade raw income for security and more benefits. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
Bingo.  Heck, some of the numbers were outright made up. 

My refutation of women making less than men for the same work & job was:  Great!  I can start a business, hire only women, and have a 20% labor cost advantage over my competition.

Instead, once you adjust for everything it turns out that women tend to trade raw income for security and more benefits. 

And flexibility/reduced hours so the can better take care of kids' needs.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »

They hammer into us all the time in the Navy that if the person is drunk they can not give consent to sex.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:44 PM »
The worst boss I ever worked for was a woman who got the job because she threatened to sue the agency (they had already picked a far better candidate, given him the job, offer letter, etc, and then they turn around and took it away from him and gave it to her, she was not remotely qualified). And the only thing you ever heard out of the bitch's mouth was about how hard she had it (despite never doing a damn thing, she always passed the buck on everything) and how sexually discriminatory our agency was (damn right our agency was sexually discriminatory, if you had a vagina you could epically *expletive deleted* up and fail your way all the way to the top)

*expletive deleted* this "feminist" bullshit, *expletive deleted* this "affirmitive action" bullshit...

And flexibility/reduced hours so the can better take care of kids' needs.

Don't forget FMLAmyalgia*, women LOVE that one.

* a mysterious disease that your coworker has that prevents them from being at work frequently. Often flares up on Fridays, weekends, and holidays. When combined with debilitating injuries such as splinters, jammed fingers, slightly twisted ankles, and "sore backs" it can keep a good worker down for weeks or even months.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:25:32 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 05:50:19 AM »
They hammer into us all the time in the Navy that if the person is drunk they can not give consent to sex.

How would that work if both parties are equally hammered? Mutual rape, both people persecuted on rape/sexual assault charges?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »
How would that work if both parties are equally hammered? Mutual rape, both people persecuted on rape/sexual assault charges?

Th Army is actually refreshingly honest on our new SHARP powerpoint: If you are both equally drunk and have sex, it's the guy's fault, and if prosecution results, it'll be against him.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »

As dogmush said, the Army is pretty open and honest.

Check and verify her ID. Knew a guy that barely escaped a courtmartial after sleeping with a chick he met at a bar, and she was underage.
If she was drunk and presses charges, you are going to jail. That simple.

It is highly unlikely a male could successfully press charges if he was drunk and she wasn't, but possible depending on politics of situation. If the command recently had an "incident", nope. If not and you had a good commander and good lawyer...  It's possible.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
Probably could only make that stick if you could say you were passed out or have no memory or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge