Author Topic: Got Home Invaders? Use Wasp Spray  (Read 1159 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Got Home Invaders? Use Wasp Spray
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
Hmm. Will the wasp spray make the home invaders even meaner, like it does the wasps?

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2014/9/nbc-offers-repellent-advice-on-appeasing-home-invaders.aspx
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Got Home Invaders? Use Wasp Spray
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
I see NBC doesn't have a comments link.

It's actually illegal to use insecticides for purposes other than the label.  Might be okay as an improvised weapon, but he's talking about premeditation... (oven cleaner is a *lot* nastier and doesn't have that problem; it just doesn't have the range)

Gather everybody and get out??  Ridiculous.  Gather everybody and hunker down with a rifle.  Even better if your floorplan allows for it, position yourself low at the top of the stairs with a rifle and shoot them as they try to come up.  (You could probably hold off a SWAT team like that.)
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Every time I see wasp spray suggested as a defense spray I want to choke a bitch.

It is not nearly as effective as the internet gun boards would have you believe, according to real life reports.

It's one thing not to mention using a firearm, it's quite another to suggest using ineffective methods. That's just idiotic.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »
Yeah, wasp spray doesn't work on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ylxnFxKqoc

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:25:25 AM »
Does it work better if you spray it INTO the bullet holes?

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:23:17 AM »
Oven cleaner, on the other hand, would probably work quite well.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:43:49 AM »
Pb blast.   Don't ask how I know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:51:50 AM »
My favorite wasp spray is starter fluid with a lighter. They can get as mad as they want once their wings are burned off.  Might not want to take time to set that up if there's a burglar though.

I have sprayed a few wasp nests in the woods with #4 shot, though. That's pretty effective too.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
What always strikes me in advice such s this is the underlying premise that self defense is OK, but only if you don't actually plan for it.  I guess they think that if you intentionally buy something that would be effective* you are looking for trouble, while being forced in to defending yourself is OK.

*never mind that they bought the wasp spray for that purpose, it has other non-defensive uses
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »
Remember, this is NBC, the network that lied about "cop killer bullets", that lied about "exploding GM pickups", that lied about Clinton's AWB . . . NBC "news" people aren't reporters, they're lobbyists for the left.

I've noticed that some brands of wasp spray today are less effective than what I could buy years ago . . . however, Chinese wasp spray is more effective than anything you can buy locally in most places . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Bo2ro60ro
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
position yourself low at the top of the stairs with a rifle and shoot them as they try to come up.  (You could probably hold off a SWAT team like that.)

Gee, that never occurred to me  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
. . . Even better if your floorplan allows for it, position yourself low at the top of the stairs with a rifle and shoot them as they try to come up.  (You could probably hold off a SWAT team like that.)
Only if your floorboards are bulletproof.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »

Your subfloor isn't AR500? What's wrong with you?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
Actually had some sheets leaning up against the wall at the head of the stairs back when I lived in a place with stairs.  Just long/wide enough to cover the vital parts when I was lying down.

If it were not for the poor marksmanship of the average cop (including the swatters) the armor would not be necessary.  They are taught to shoot at people parts that are visible, but to never-ever shoot through stuff someone may be hiding behind.  (Or so says the curriculum for the local academy.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »

2x6 TnG at a flat angle ... almost maybe  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
I used to clear out the wasps at the gun range a few years ago.  Most name brand wasp sprays work fine if you hit them.  That is mainly paper wasps and the little yellow jackets.  Only ones it didn't seem to affect were dirt dobbers, but they usually don't bother people.  The biggest problem is the wasps scatter whe you hit the nest and some often scatter right at you. 

However, I have never tried it on the big wasps/hornets that make those nests in the ground.  Don't see those down here too much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »
All that said, I agree it is dang near criminal to suggest ineffective self defense methods when effective methods are nearly as cheap as wasp spray. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

However, I have never tried it on the big wasps/hornets that make those nests in the ground.  Don't see those down here too much. 

Gasoline, stand-off ignition source, some assembly required. A shop rag tied around a rock and soaked in diesel is good for fire chucking.

If I did not have a gun the go-to improvised weapon I'd be looking for would be a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Once they are blind and choking seems to be a good time to beat them with your new-found aluminum(or hopefully steel) bat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
Gasoline, stand-off ignition source, some assembly required. A shop rag tied around a rock and soaked in diesel is good for fire chucking.

If I did not have a gun the go-to improvised weapon I'd be looking for would be a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Once they are blind and choking seems to be a good time to beat them with your new-found aluminum(or hopefully steel) bat.
I would subscribe to your newletter. I just finished a long talk with my 13 year old about the missing uva girl. I hope it scared her a lil. I had mixed feelings about her knowing all about roofies at 13.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

In other news, authorities say a forest fire that burned over 100 thousand acres was started by a local man trying to kill wasps.

=D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
In other news, authorities say a forest fire that burned over 100 thousand acres was started by a local man trying to kill wasps.

=D

Good trade off if you're successful in killing the wasps.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”