Author Topic: In Georgia, eat Spaghetti-O's get felony meth charges  (Read 4508 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
In Georgia, eat Spaghetti-O's get felony meth charges
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/104678/

Huff was arrested July 2 by the Gainesville Police Department, suspected of having meth residue on a spoon, van Rossem said.

“From what I understand, she was a passenger in a car and had a spoon on her, near her, and I guess the officer, for whatever reason, thought there was some residue,” he said.

Nothing like destroying a person's life cause a cop had some feels, for whatever reason. I'd love to read the initial arrest report, which conveniently can't be found anymore.

“I think what the unfortunate part about her case is that she was probably willing to take the felony to close out her case so that she get out of jail, even though she always maintained innocence,” van Rossem said.

I wonder how many innocent folks become felons via plea bargain just to avoid the destruction the system is wreaking on their lives?

ETA: for those who are wondering, yes this took place in the next county over from the one that flash banged the baby in his crib, lied about why, then refused to cover the family's medical expenses. Note to self: never go to Georgia.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:50:12 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: In Georgia, eat Spaghetti-O's get felony meth charges
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
To be fair to Georgia, in NY all you have to do to get arrested on meth charges is buy some Jolly Ranchers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/city-settles-men-arrested-nypd-cops-confused-jolly-ranchers-crystal-meth-article-1.1927186

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:58:45 PM »
The officer’s report states he received consent to search Huff’s 1994 Ford Explorer, and searched a bag with the name “Ashley” printed on it. The officer described Huff, a passenger, as “nervous,” noting sores on her face, arms and legs. Inside the bag was a spoon with a “clear, crystal-like substance,” according to the report.

Huff disputes the claim, saying it was orange SpaghettiOs spaghetti sauce, as she told the officer in the police report.

Why you never -- ever -- give consent to search your vehicle.
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
It should also be noted that the "open sores on her face" had magically disappeared by the time she had her mugshot taken. Obviously she's a witch.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »
It should also be noted that the "open sores on her face" had magically disappeared by the time she had her mugshot taken. Obviously she's a witch.

Spaghetti-O's is a pretty messy meal  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
I bet if she would have had an empty coffee can or three in the back seat, she would have been summarily executed.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »
Probably charged with drug possession because they didn't have enough cash on them worth seizing.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
To be fair to Georgia, in NY all you have to do to get arrested on meth charges is buy some Jolly Ranchers.

Which reminded me of:  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/30/nm-grade-schoolers-suspended-for-breaking-bad-cand/

No arrests, but the kids were suspended.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
Why you never -- ever -- give consent to search your vehicle.
This. So much this.

There may, however, be more to the story.
The officers said they asked if he could search the vehicle and everyone said yes. During the search, the officers came across a pink bag with the name Ashley painted on it. One of the officers asked Huff if the bag was hers and if they could search it. Huff told them it wasn’t hers.
The officers said they then found a glass smoking device inside the bag as well.
The officers tested the substance on the spoon which they said tested positive for methamphetamine
If the news report is accurate, and if the cops told the truth on their report it isn't quite so bizarre (except inasmuch as the whole war on drugs and arresting someone over residue is inherently bizarre).  The lady was ostensibly refusing ownership, had something else that in the context of drugs seemed suspicious and the spoon allegedly tested positive in a field test.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
I assume the report is false because there is no mention anywhere else of the crack pipe.  If there really was one, why wasn't it seized?
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
I think it's interesting how she gave a false name and entered a drug court program while seeking a plea bargain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
I assume the report is false because there is no mention anywhere else of the crack pipe.  If there really was one, why wasn't it seized?
Drug paraphernalia is often just repurposed household/commercial goods. Unless it was actually used it is often just an empty vial, a spoon, a piece of foil, a cotton ball, etc.  Often there is nothing to actually charge there (rightly!) unless they can prove residue, which they apparently had a false positive on with the spoon. Might be useful to establish probable cause, however. Whatever they took as a glass pipe may well have been a completely innocent bit of kit, but under the circumstances - and with a positive on the field test at that - I don't think this is as egregious as it first appears. At least as long as you stipulate that this particular law should be enforced in the first place.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:37:27 AM »
Sore is on the left side (her right) under her chin barely visible here. And according to this she admits giving a false name
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/m/section/6/article/104844/

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:18:20 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
The forum posts made me struggle but I did find it fascinating that the testing chemicals actually turned a legal substance into ghb

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »
Sore is on the left side (her right) under her chin barely visible here. And according to this she admits giving a false name
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/m/section/6/article/104844/

Crikey ... I have more sores on my face than that on a good day, and I've never done any kind of drugs. Not even marijuana (even if you include not inhaling). It's a chronic condition that the dermatologists at the VA can't get rid of. I guess I'd better take than can of Spaghetti-Os in the cabinet and toss it (after first cleaning it of all fingerprints and DNA).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »
And some interesting stuff on field tests I never knew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2009/mar/06/feature_citing_startling_researc

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/546993-Mephedrone-being-called-Methamphetamine-in-a-field-test-during-arrest

The tests used usually test for a functional group- they aren't very specific. A good analogy is that the police are like 6 year olds making cupcakes in an easy bake oven, thinking that they are on the same level as the head chef at the White House.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:28:56 AM by brimic »

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
Wish I knew then what I know now

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 08:29:39 AM »
Wish I knew then what I know now

Don't we all?   ;)

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
What I find interesting is flunking those kinda tests is sufficient for a probation or parole violation and go directly to jail. No bail. That seems an awful low burden of proof. Similarly I wonder how accurate the whiz quizz is. Some of the right here right now tests specifically.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
What I find interesting is flunking those kinda tests is sufficient for a probation or parole violation and go directly to jail. No bail. That seems an awful low burden of proof

Yeah, innocent until proven guilty and all of that....

Even the 'well established' field tests like the breathalyzer  can give false positives- someone who is diabetic, using inhalers, or recently spent time working with solvents/paints.

Urinalysis using a GC and LC versus known standards is a lot more accurate. GC-mass spec or LC-mass spec or very accurate, but the equipment costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the personnel to run them aren't cheap either.

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
On parole you don't have the protection of innocent till proven. You have been found guilty and it's a conditional release. One that can be revoked at anytime and for any reason. Literally. I know a guy who got married to his 20 year common law wife and got violated.

In Charlottesville they switched to hair analysis once. It doubled the number of folks caught and violated

They also had to make using depilatory products to go hairless a violation.