Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 383575 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
Over the past couple of weeks the price of crude oil has been slipping quite a bit, as have gasoline futures.

Oil's down nearly $20 a barrel, and gasoline futures are down nearly 35 cents. (Home heating oil is also dropping, but not nearly as much).

Slowly we're seeing prices move lower at the pump.

At the station nearest me, a Citgo, the price for regular is $3.15 a gallon, which is about as low as I've seen it in my area.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
Noticed this morning here in Tulsa that gas is getting close to $2.80 a gallon for regular and then premium (91 octane) that I use in my bike is at $3.10.  I would guess there might be a few places in the area where it is nearing $2.75 for regular.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
It's down around 2.90 here, with some places as low as 2.80.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Ames, IA

I run premium in my supercharged pickup truck, so I paid $3.64 for 91 octane last night.

87 E-10 is $3.06 and 87 non E is $3.26

Des Moines, IA (35 miles south) I went there for work in afternoon yesterday.

87 E-10 $2.99
87 no E $3.19
91 $3.29

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Here 25 miles north of Seattle, I filled the motorcycle up at Costco yesterday for $ 3.24/gallon of regular.  Which is down five cents per gallon from when I filled up the Ford at Costco last week.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
$2.88 (down from $2.91 overnight) at the RaceWay (independent, cheapest available) down the street from me, and matched by the Shell and BP stations nearby.  Down the road about 5 miles it's $2.81.

The talking heads are predicting even lower prices "as we get into the winter months when people are driving less."  You'd think refineries and the rest of the system would know to cut back production in anticipation and keep the supply/demand ratio about stable.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
Closest to the house is $3.09.9/gal for 87 octane this AM.  Very handy for many folk, so that can charge a bit more.

Can get as low as $2.90/gal or so at Sams/Costco for 87 octane.

FTR: Newer automobiles will advance/retard ignition to accommodate whatever octane gasoline is poured into them.  The admonition to use Premium is how the manuf games CAFE and EPA rules.  Likely you will not notice hte slight dip in top end performance if you use 87 octane vs more expensive 93 octane.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
FTR: Newer automobiles will advance/retard ignition to accommodate whatever octane gasoline is poured into them.  The admonition to use Premium is how the manuf games CAFE and EPA rules.  Likely you will not notice hte slight dip in top end performance if you use 87 octane vs more expensive 93 octane.

I wish I could in my pickup, lowest I can go without pinging is 89 octane, which some oil supplier where I live deemed too expensive to offer about a year ago, so that disappeared from all the pumps in Iowa.

I'm never going to have a supercharged/turbocharged gasoline engine daily driver ever again, well unless I get a Ford with an ecoboost.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
2.95 here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
2.89 in SC.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »
I sort of feel old doing the "$3 for gas and we're happy about it!!!11!!", since I can remember when a gallon of gas was under a dollar and milk was under $2.

It's just kind of feeling old though, since it was only 15 years ago.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
$4.12 for regular, $3.99 for diesel.

While the entire rest of the country sees lower prices, starting in JAN2015, CA is going to add a "carbon tax" (signed into law by the great conservative Schwarzenegger) that is going to drastically increase the per gallon price to the highest in the country. Apparently the law allows for a range for the increase.

No news source seems to give the same figure (partly because of the poorly written law, or maybe they did it on purpose), but the aggregate range is anywhere from $0.16 - $1.30 per gallon. This would be on top of the $0.68/gal tax we already pay. The smart money seems to be betting that they'll start at around $0.20-$0.30/gal, then play the "frog in the pot" game and slowly raise the tax to their maximum over a few years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
I remember when gasoline was 56 cents a gallon, but that was when I was a kid.

When I started paying for gasoline, I think 87 was in the 80 cents a gallon range and hi test was about a buck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
I sort of feel old doing the "$3 for gas and we're happy about it!!!11!!", since I can remember when a gallon of gas was under a dollar and milk was under $2.

It's just kind of feeling old though, since it was only 15 years ago.

Hell, I can remember filling up my '65 Impala for about $5  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
I remember when gasoline was 56 cents a gallon, but that was when I was a kid.

When I started paying for gasoline, I think 87 was in the 80 cents a gallon range and hi test was about a buck.

It was around 50 cents just when I started driving in 1976. It had just shot up from hovering around 25 cents for many years. This was right after "gas rationing" where you got gas on certain days based on your license plate being odd or even. Shortly after I started driving it jumped up to around 75 cents.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
S.E. Az @ $3.25 for regular. Tucson, regular @ $3.15 which is the standard difference. When I started filling my own car, reg was $.15 a gallon.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
I wish I could in my pickup, lowest I can go without pinging is 89 octane, which some oil supplier where I live deemed too expensive to offer about a year ago, so that disappeared from all the pumps in Iowa.

I'm never going to have a supercharged/turbocharged gasoline engine daily driver ever again, well unless I get a Ford with an ecoboost.

OK, turbo/super-charged is the exception, I'd guess.  Only so much the bitty computer can do, I suppose.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »
Charby,

I talked with my friend in Cedar Rapids metro last week and he said that regular is now under $3 a gallon there.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
Portsmouth, NH

$3.25 for 85 E-10.  Can't find ethanol-free around here.  87 octane is about $3.34
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
$3.27 at COSTCO here in the Chicago burbs
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
$3.19 this morning in NW Illinois. Filled up yesterday across the river with Iowa gas $290.9 at Sam's Club
I still need to fill the little sport coupe with hi octane before I put it away for winter. should be almost $1 per gal less than last year.
With the mid term elections coming up, are we sposed to thank our liar in chief and his minions for the relief?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
FTR: Newer automobiles will advance/retard ignition to accommodate whatever octane gasoline is poured into them.  The admonition to use Premium is how the manuf games CAFE and EPA rules.  Likely you will not notice hte slight dip in top end performance if you use 87 octane vs more expensive 93 octane.

My '13 Focus is like that.  The manual says it will work on 87, but higher octane is better.  Folks on the Focus forums have noticed better dyno numbers with premium fuel.  My "seat-of-the-pants" dyno indicates slightly better performance with premium as well.  Not a huge difference, but a bit more solid off the line (tis a 5spd).  I pay about $3.59 for Premium around here.  With a 12gal fill from "running on fumes" level, it's still not an expensive gas bill compared to my old 4Runner on 87octane.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
I remember putting gas in my bike at $0.55. It was in the .70- .80 range when I graduated high school.
In '98 for a while it was back under $1.00 but it didn't last long.
I filled my company van last night at $2.89 but the closer to Tulsa you get the lower it goes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »

2.85 at Sam's Club
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
I saw $2.88 at a couple of stations. I put regular in the beater Saturn and the lawnmower, but the Mustang takes premium.

I guess Obama's drilling policy is working.