Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384887 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #325 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:11 AM »
Still in the $2.25 range around here.
Liking the lower gas  prices but even though we all hate them the US oil producers are starting to feel the pinch. I don't see them going too much longer without additional major workforce reductions. If OPEC and friends can hold out long enough to shut down our domestic production then just a little longer so that it won't be just a matter of flipping a switch and turning it back on and we'll see $100 a barrel again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #326 on: August 26, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »
The lowest price I've seen locally is $2.52 for regular. Other stations in the area range from $2.57 (two) up into the $2.80s. Saw one station up-state a couple of weeks ago that was $2.41.

For awhile the price was dropping about 2 cents a day. The $2.52 price has been in place for a week or two now, so I sort of think it may have bottomed out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #327 on: August 26, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »
If you are in OH, IN, IL, MI, WI or MN then your prices should start falling to what the current national average is.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #328 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »
"If OPEC and friends can hold out long enough to shut down our domestic production then just a little longer so that it won't be just a matter of flipping a switch and turning it back on and we'll see $100 a barrel again."

Except... there's absolutely no sign of any will within OPEC to do anything more tham pump. And Iranian oil hasn't even been factored in.

OPEC members are engaged in a huge amount of infighting over market share right now, which gives them even less incentive to cut production.

Some of the headlines coming out of OPEC have been hysterical bordering on inane.

Algeria last week called for non-OPEC members to cut production... in other words, cut their own production and allow OPEC members to re-establish a stranglehold on production.

Then, just a few days ago, Iran called on OPEC to take steps to secure and bolster oil prices... while at the same time saying that they're going to pump every drop of crude that they can to grow their market share.

I'm sure I know what Saudi Arabia's response to that would be... MOAR OILZ! PUMPZIES! PUMPZIES! FASTER, PUSSYCAT, PUMP! PUMP!

Over the last 20 or so years OPEC has stopped being an effective framework for controlling oil prices, or even supply and demand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #329 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »
"If OPEC and friends can hold out long enough to shut down our domestic production then just a little longer so that it won't be just a matter of flipping a switch and turning it back on and we'll see $100 a barrel again."

Except... there's absolutely no sign of any will within OPEC to do anything more tham pump. And Iranian oil hasn't even been factored in.

OPEC members are engaged in a huge amount of infighting over market share right now, which gives them even less incentive to cut production.

Some of the headlines coming out of OPEC have been hysterical bordering on inane.

Algeria last week called for non-OPEC members to cut production... in other words, cut their own production and allow OPEC members to re-establish a stranglehold on production.

Then, just a few days ago, Iran called on OPEC to take steps to secure and bolster oil prices... while at the same time saying that they're going to pump every drop of crude that they can to grow their market share.

I'm sure I know what Saudi Arabia's response to that would be... MOAR OILZ! PUMPZIES! PUMPZIES! FASTER, PUSSYCAT, PUMP! PUMP!

Over the last 20 or so years OPEC has stopped being an effective framework for controlling oil prices, or even supply and demand.

Also many nations need the crude oil money to pay for social programs to keep civil wars from happening.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #330 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
Saw $2.07 last night.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #331 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
2.45-2.55 depending upon station and location to I-35 or US Hwy 30.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #332 on: August 26, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
Gasoline futures have taken a huge pump (see what I did there?) this afternoon, now down over 8 cents a gallon.

In other words, wholesale gasoline is now 3 cents a gallon cheaper than wholesale home heating oil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #333 on: August 26, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Update: The station that was charging $2.52 yesterday is charging $2.48 today. One of the two stations along my commute that were $2.57 yesterday has dropped to $2.53 -- the other is still at $2.57.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #334 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:57 AM »
Oil is back above the $40 psychological barrier this morning and still rising.  Gas is up six cents wholesale and climbing.
China's government intervened in some fashion in the market (the story did not say what form the intervention took) and the Shanghai Composite went from a .7% loss to a 5.3% gain in the last hour of trading.
If China's stock market truly stabilizes, then the oil and gas markets have likely hit their bottom as well.  Much of the downward pressure on oil prices has been driven by perceived weakness in Chinese demand.  It would not surprise me if this is where the speculators get their herd mentality back in sync and drive oil prices slowly upward again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #335 on: August 27, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »
Gas was at $1.99 here, yesterday.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #336 on: August 27, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
"It would not surprise me if this is where the speculators get their herd mentality back in sync and drive oil prices slowly upward again."

Except that there are several other gorillas in the room right now, too:

1. Massive global stockpiles.

2. Continuing overproduction, which will generally only get worse with a rise in the price of oil, which makes it more profitable for marginal producers to produce.

3. Iran. Iran has already said that once its markets reopen it's going to pump as much as it can as fast as it can to establish and capture market share. The likely Saudi response to that is going to be PUMPZ MOAR OILZ! It's very likely that they'll get tied into a supply war with Iran.

What we're seeing today, I believe, is a move by traders to get into any commodity class that they can to grab some quick profits. Same with precious metals today, and most other traded commodities. I suspect that this is nothing more than a rather temporary upwards correction.

US gasoline prices should continue to decline in the near term because we're very close to the move to winter blendstock, which is cheaper, and Labor day is the end of the heavy use driving season.

In other words,  I may not be bearish, but I'm certainly not bullish.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #337 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:37 AM »
Paid $2.52 for 91 octane this morning.  The "regular" gas was $2.22.  Interesting that usually Oklahoma has some of the cheapest gas in the nation but right now we are lagging behind.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #338 on: August 27, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
If you are in OH, IN, IL, MI, WI or MN then your prices should start falling to what the current national average is.

Not likely just yet as long as the BP refinery in Indiana is still offline. $2.73 locally this morning.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #339 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
Not likely just yet as long as the BP refinery in Indiana is still offline. $2.73 locally this morning.

Really? I just did an Google News search and the only thing I can find is that the refinery has been restarted.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #340 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
A couple of the stations that I pass regularly on my commute are at $2.419 as of yesterday evening. The Citgo nearest my house is $2.459.

I'm working in an office in Springfield, Virginia, today, and a few of the stations that I passed on the way here are still in the $2.60s.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #341 on: August 27, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
Also many nations need the crude oil money to pay for social programs to keep civil wars from happening.

It's working great in Venezuela!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #342 on: August 27, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Paid $1.949 today. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #343 on: August 27, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
2.89 for 91 Octane in Ankeny, IA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #344 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
2.77 for diesel, 2.83 for regular in Spokane

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #345 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
Just saw $1.95 this morning and Walmart had $1.89 last night.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #346 on: August 28, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
$2.039 at the Weatherford WalMart last night.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
$ 2.61 at the Arlington Costco 40 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
I filled up for $2.399 on Arlington Boulevard in Arlington, VA, this morning.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
$2.15 this afternoon at the local Hess.  
Get it while you can.  It will start back up soon with the $8/barrel increase in oil the last three days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.