Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384846 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #1050 on: February 13, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
"as we switch from the more costly winter blends to the more costly summer blends of gasoline.  I am still not sure how that works."

PROFIT!

Yeah, that's a running joke.

The problem is that refineries are going to be shutting down for spring maintenance starting very soon. But that coincides with the rise in demand because people start driving a lot more as it heads toward spring.

The combination of the two generally sends prices up. So it's not a more expensive spring blend (the winter formulations are more expensive because they're oxygenated, IIRC), it's just a supply/demand capitalism kind of thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #1051 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
Prices have been bouncing around like crazy.   One day the BP I go past is $2.39, the next day it's $2.25.   It's like playing a roulette wheel, when it's time to buy gas.

Then I go past the Shell station about a half mile, in the same town and the their prices are the exact opposite. 

But I do have gas discount cards for both that gets me anywhere from $.03 to $.10 off per gallon.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1052 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:27 PM »
When I left work last evening gas was $1.99.  This morning it was $2.05.  This afternoon it was down to $2.03.  At the local Murphy's for E10 85 octane.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1053 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
Price is continuing to drop very slowly.

The station near my house has been sitting on $2.15 for a little over a week.

The stations near Castle Key's place are ranging from $2.11 to $2.13.

Over the weekend I paid $1.89 per gallon after my grocery store points were factored in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #1054 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
Prices have been bouncing around like crazy.   One day the BP I go past is $2.39, the next day it's $2.25.   It's like playing a roulette wheel, when it's time to buy gas.

Then I go past the Shell station about a half mile, in the same town and the their prices are the exact opposite.

Just up the road in Comanche, there's a Mobil two blocks from a Valero, and the Valero never fails to be at least ten cents cheaper.  At this point, I'm thinking the Mobil must be a front for something, because nobody buys anything from it but they're still paying to have someone at the counter anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1055 on: February 22, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
Going up in these parts. $2.59 at the home AO. I'm in Santa Barbara today, and I just filled up for $3.09.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #1056 on: February 22, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
Going up in these parts. $2.59 at the home AO. I'm in Santa Barbara today, and I just filled up for $3.09.

Isn't there a refinery in or near Santa Barbara?    I know around here the closer you get to Joliet, Lemont, or Whiting, IN.  The cheaper gas gets (lets expense hauling it from the refinery.)

Meanwhile prices bounce around like a rubber ball.  $2.19 to $2.43 have been seen at the prior mentioned BP and Shell this week.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1057 on: February 22, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »
Isn't there a refinery in or near Santa Barbara?    I know around here the closer you get to Joliet, Lemont, or Whiting, IN.  The cheaper gas gets (lets expense hauling it from the refinery.)

Ha ha. You forget it's pinko central. High local gas taxes. There's a few processing plants, but they don't make gasoline. It's all first stage oil processing and natgas.

But yeah, otherwise what you said usually holds. Gas is cheaper in Bakersfield for sure (not sure they're cheap enough to live there  =D ). Places like up through the 395 corridor above Bishop it gets crazy because those are some long hauls. I just looked at Gasbuddy and it's $3.50 in Mammoth and $3.99 in Bridgeport.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1058 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »
Gas prices have been holding fairly steady here in Virginia. There's been a slight downward movement at some stations, slight upwards at others.

The big news is that OPEC's attempts to whittle away at the surplus is looking more and more like it's a failure. US stockpiles, as reported yesterday, were at their highest level since the 1980s, and crude, gas, and heating oil futures paid big time. WTI was down over 5%. The downward swing is continuing today.

Another critical factor is that it's now appearing that US shale oil production is becoming financially viable in the $50 a barrel range now that all of the low volume, high cost producers have been weeded out and their assets and fields sold to the more economical large-scale producers.

You have to wonder if there's some middle east OPEC oil sheik just crying his eyes out, knowing that the middle east stranglehold on oil prices is close to being broken for good.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1059 on: March 09, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »
We've been in KW since 1-1-17.  Gas was $2.61 when we arrived.  It still is.  I would suspect that gas would be in the $2.30 or so range back in the American Florida mainland.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #1060 on: March 09, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »
Paid $2.34 here yesterday.   I catch snippets on the radio of Oil being in the $53 a barrel range.

And Mike is right.  The US oil industry is consolidating as the high-cost inefficient producers have either been bought outright or the assets sold via bankruptcy to lower cost producers.

With DAPL and Keystone moving ahead, along with the prospect of a Trump administration literally open the floodgates to production in areas previously off limits, the price of oil will probably stabilize if not drop a bit as more production makes it to market.

I'm looking forward to a return to "Free Collectors Glass with every fill-up" days...  ;)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1061 on: March 09, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
$1.97 in Houston.  I paid average $2.15 on the drive down.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1062 on: March 09, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
With DAPL and Keystone moving ahead, along with the prospect of a Trump administration literally open the floodgates to production in areas previously off limits...

Literally.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1063 on: March 09, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
WTI is now under $50 a barrel. Not by much, but that's a real psychological barrier.

Gasoline and heating oil futures are both down nearly a dime over the past two days. That's big movement.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1064 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
We jumped from ~$1.99 to $2.09 on average about two weeks ago.  It's since dropped back down to $2.05 on average.  It's been in the $1.99 to $2.19 range for the last couple of months.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #1065 on: March 13, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
Not seeing a price drop yet. It's holding steady out here at $3.09.  =(
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1066 on: April 13, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
Prices in Northern Virginia over the last month have jumped between 20 and 40 cents a gallon, depending on where you are.

Doesn't look like they're finished going up, either.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1067 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
Thanks to gov Moonbeam, we in CA will soon be paying an extra 12 cents in base gas tax with an additional "variable" 17 cents. Also around an average of $100 more on annual vehicle registration. All ostensibly to fix the roads even though they refuse to guarantee the money won't go into the general fund (where it will likely be used to help pay for the damn train and bail out the state employee retirement fund).

I'm glad I sold my diesel last year because that's going up 20 cents. Electric cars will pay $100 per year to use the roads (which actually, it's about time they paid something).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1068 on: April 13, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Well obviously all of the disadvantaged dreamer immigrants need good roads on which to walk while they flood across the border.

So, how much does it cost to register a simple 4 door Toyota or Honda mid-level sedan?

Here in Virginia I think it's about $50 a year.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #1069 on: April 13, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Paid $2.659 for premium on Tuesday.

If I don't use premium vehicle knocks harder than a Chicago Airport Police Officer. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1070 on: April 13, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
Well obviously all of the disadvantaged dreamer immigrants need good roads on which to walk while they flood across the border.

So, how much does it cost to register a simple 4 door Toyota or Honda mid-level sedan?

New, newer or older?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1071 on: April 13, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »

CA is probably one of the highest states in the country. It's a progressive (or maybe regressive?) tax. Both my vehicles cost in the mid $30Ks new and first year registration was around $350 on the 4Runner and $450 on the truck (commercial registration). It goes down from there every year to some base (which I don't remember, but it's not cheap either). I paid $279 for the 2014 4Runner this year. Guess it'll be around $350 next year, back to where I started. The new "additional fee" is based on the value of the vehicle and runs from I think $25 - $175.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #1072 on: April 13, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
CA is probably one of the highest states in the country. It's a progressive (or maybe regressive?) tax. Both my vehicles cost in the mid $30Ks new and first year registration was around $350 on the 4Runner and $450 on the truck (commercial registration). It goes down from there every year to some base (which I don't remember, but it's not cheap either). I paid $279 for the 2014 4Runner this year. Guess it'll be around $350 next year, back to where I started. The new "additional fee" is based on the value of the vehicle and runs from I think $25 - $175.

Seems like it would make a lot more sense to go by weight, with possibly some extra fee over a certain horsepower, since those are the factors that determine its actual wear on the roads.  Of course, that would have a lot of motorcycles paying under $10/year, (and would put an instant BS flag on any bicycle registration scheme, because under $1/year would obviously not cover even the paperwork printing costs) so we can't have that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1073 on: April 13, 2017, 04:56:37 PM »
New, newer or older?

Registration is pretty much the same no matter what you have (as long as it's a passenger car). Right now it's about $40 a year.

Motorcycles are just under $30 a year.

Where they get us is the annual personal property tax (cars, boats, motor homes, etc.).

That varies from county to county, and is based on a set fee per $100 value of the car that year. The county where I live sets the rate at $4.75 per $100 assessed value. Fortunately, some years ago we got car tax relief, which cut the amount we pay back considerably.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1074 on: April 13, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
In Michigan, on Jan. 1, The Stupid Party, which is in charge of the legislature and governors office, added about a 30% bump to license plates, so I'll be paying nearly $40.00 MORE per year for each of my 2 vehicles.  Plus they increased the gas tax by about a dime a gallon.  Here's the rub.  We voters turned down a ballot proposal a year ago by a 75% margin for that exact plan.  Part of the reason was that the legislature and governor would not guarantee that 100% of that increase in taxes and fees would go into road repair exclusively, which is obviously necessary.  They wanted to divert about half of the money into horse trails, hiking trails, bicycle paths inter alia.  Duh.

Give you 3 guesses what they are doing now with this increase that we said a resounding NO to.  About half of the increase in going to road repairs. The other half is going into the general fund and now they are whining that they are a couple billion dollars short of road repair money.  I'm not a violent person but beatings, whippings, being put in stocks and having garbage thrown at them and then being tarred, feathered and carried down to the local river and chucked in sounds pretty good to me right now.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw