Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384565 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #1075 on: April 13, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »
Paid $2.42 at the Pilot in Carol Stream today .  That include my $.03/gallon discount.  So list was $2.45.  Yeah, prices have been steadily rising here in the western burbs the last 2-3 weeks.

Passenger car registration is $101 (plus $2 "convenience fee") for the renewal sticker.  $196 if it's a plate for a new vehicle. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1076 on: April 14, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
Last Monday low grade ethanol was $2.09, yesterday it was $2.19.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1077 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
$2.56/gallon today at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1078 on: April 14, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
CA is probably one of the highest states in the country. It's a progressive (or maybe regressive?) tax. Both my vehicles cost in the mid $30Ks new and first year registration was around $350 on the 4Runner and $450 on the truck (commercial registration). It goes down from there every year to some base (which I don't remember, but it's not cheap either). I paid $279 for the 2014 4Runner this year. Guess it'll be around $350 next year, back to where I started. The new "additional fee" is based on the value of the vehicle and runs from I think $25 - $175.

Looks like we are higher here in SC. Gas tax is lower (more on that in a minute) but personal property taxes/registration...I paid $660 for my truck ($32k purchase) for the first year. Back when I got my last truck, it was already 9 years old but still $280 for the first year and then would only a little each year till it finally dropped off the "rape the owner in the ass" age and dropped down to $75ish the last year I had it on the road. Next year my truck is supposed to drop down to around $400 but then I get to pay an additional $60 since I moved into a small town...

In Michigan, on Jan. 1, The Stupid Party, which is in charge of the legislature and governors office, added about a 30% bump to license plates, so I'll be paying nearly $40.00 MORE per year for each of my 2 vehicles.  Plus they increased the gas tax by about a dime a gallon.  Here's the rub.  We voters turned down a ballot proposal a year ago by a 75% margin for that exact plan.  Part of the reason was that the legislature and governor would not guarantee that 100% of that increase in taxes and fees would go into road repair exclusively, which is obviously necessary.  They wanted to divert about half of the money into horse trails, hiking trails, bicycle paths inter alia.  Duh.

Give you 3 guesses what they are doing now with this increase that we said a resounding NO to.  About half of the increase in going to road repairs. The other half is going into the general fund and now they are whining that they are a couple billion dollars short of road repair money.  I'm not a violent person but beatings, whippings, being put in stocks and having garbage thrown at them and then being tarred, feathered and carried down to the local river and chucked in sounds pretty good to me right now.

Raising the gas tax is exactly what they want to do here too. The politicians and their supporters claim that it will "collect more revenue from the tourists" and they also claim the roads are in such dire shape so as to be the worst in the nation. And if you dare object to paying more then it becomes "WELL WHY DO YOU HATE GOOD ROADS???" and so on. Of course not only do the politicians want to give more money to the black hole that is our state DOT, they want to get their hands on that revenue stream for all their pet bullshit projects.

If they actually needed more money to fix the roads, I am not opposed to giving them some more ONCE THEY SHOW SOME RESULTS WITH WHAT THEY GET. Use what they get already up, THEN we can talk about additional fund raising...that MUST be spent on roads. Until them I am not voting to raise taxes in exchange for vague promises.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #1079 on: April 15, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Illinois has the worst roads.  The roads in SC remind me of the roads of Germany, they are very well maintained and pothole free.

One thing we did that infuriated TPTB is pass a constitutional amendment last November that requires that all monies collected "for Roads" (Bonds, gas taxes, etc) can only be spent on roads.  There has to be a separate fund (they money can't go into the General Fund and squandered).  So their hands are tied.

When you want to bitch about paying $310 for tags, it's $103 here no matter the age of the vehicle.  http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/basicfees.html

Where we get nailed in on sales tax (10% in Cook County, 8-9% in the collar counties), and property tax.  My 3Bdrm, 2Bath ranch on .28 is $6,000 a year.  And that's AFTER the Disabled Veteran's and Homestead discounts.  A quick search of the Milton Township assessor's website shows that my neighbors, all will fairly similar sized homes, are paying anywhere from $7,500 to $10.2k in property taxes alone.

We do have a flat 3% income tax, but TPTB want a "Grand Bargain" to raise the income tax (either to 4 or back to 5%) while they "freeze" the property tax (rates), which for those of us paying attention is a pig in poke.  Yes, the rates for each taxing body are frozen, but we'll keep raising the assessed value of your home to squeeze you for more money.

Back in January 2011 they pushed through a record temporary income tax  increase that raised the income tax rate on individuals to 5 percent from 3 percent, and on corporations to 7 percent from 4.8 percent.  They promised that they would use the extra money to pay down the debt.  The debt was around $50billion in 2011, the increase expired in 2015 and the state  is now $154billion in debt.  https://www.illinoispolicy.org/policy-points/illinois-31-6-billion-tax-hike-where-did-the-money-go/

The only reason the tax increase expired is because Pat Quinn lost the election for governor.  Had he won, he would have been dumb enough to sign legislation making it permeant.  Then Speaker Madigan could pin it on Quinn and call it the "Quinn tax increase",  However, Republican Bruce Rauner won.  He would veto any increase, and even though Madigan and Senate President Cullerton had Super Majorities in both houses, if they overrode the Governor's veto, they would then won the increase and the D's would get killed in the next election.

But they are back at it, trying to raise the rate once again, in this "Grand Bargain" they are trying to hammer out.  Meanwhile, we haven't had a budget in going on 3 years.  Madigan is trying to paint it as Rauner doing this, but under our Constitution the House creates the budget.   THe Governor can only make recommendations.  But the Governor does have the line item veto, so that's the main reason Madigan won't send him a budget.  Because Rauner has pledged to cut the pork and waste, and Madigan would have to override and then explain why spending $12 million on studying cow farts and other such bushwah is a priority.

Meanwhile life goes on with no budget.   http://www.mystateline.com/news/illinois-state-legislators-sue-to-get-paid-their-salaries/614842886

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1080 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
Looks like we are higher here in SC. Gas tax is lower (more on that in a minute) but personal property taxes/registration...I paid $660 for my truck ($32k purchase) for the first year. Back when I got my last truck, it was already 9 years old but still $280 for the first year and then would only a little each year till it finally dropped off the "rape the owner in the ass" age and dropped down to $75ish the last year I had it on the road. Next year my truck is supposed to drop down to around $400 but then I get to pay an additional $60 since I moved into a small town...

Raising the gas tax is exactly what they want to do here too. The politicians and their supporters claim that it will "collect more revenue from the tourists" and they also claim the roads are in such dire shape so as to be the worst in the nation. And if you dare object to paying more then it becomes "WELL WHY DO YOU HATE GOOD ROADS???" and so on. Of course not only do the politicians want to give more money to the black hole that is our state DOT, they want to get their hands on that revenue stream for all their pet bullshit projects.

If they actually needed more money to fix the roads, I am not opposed to giving them some more ONCE THEY SHOW SOME RESULTS WITH WHAT THEY GET. Use what they get already up, THEN we can talk about additional fund raising...that MUST be spent on roads. Until them I am not voting to raise taxes in exchange for vague promises.

Wow. I would have never guessed SC having registrations that high.

I would theoretically not have much of a problem paying gas taxes or registration fees for transportation infrastructure, but whether local, state, or federal, it never happens. You can never get the politicians to guarantee that they will only use road taxes for roads, nor would you ever get them to reduce taxes if they build a surplus. Further, you can never get them to show how 100% of previous infrastructure taxes were used for infrastructure. Mostly because they weren't. Between bloated administration and bait and switch on the money, I would guess only 25% or so of the tax money collected for roads goes to roads.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1081 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
I was in Pennsylvania over the weekend.

Prices ranged from $2.55 to $2.69 a gallon for regular unleaded.

It used to be that Pennsylvania and Virginia had virtually identical gasoline prices.

Then Pennsylvania started electing a series of communist dicks to the Gub's mansion who started ramming through moar taxes on gasoline because, well, it's a good thing! Believe me, I'm from the gubmint and I'm here to help you!

I think the latest several rounds of Democratic tax increases goes a long way towards explaining why Trump won Pennsylvania.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1082 on: May 04, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
Prices are starting to drop again.

Crude oil and gasoline futures prices have been dropping fairly steadily, but slowly, but and today are getting absolutely hammered on news that US production is up, the OPEC cuts are ineffective, and China is looking as if it's moving into a government regulated slow-down.

Prices peaked about 2 weeks ago at the Citgo near my house at $2.35.

Since then they've fallen back to $2.25 a gallon for regular unleaded.

Some analysts are now saying that OPEC's only hopes are to extend their production cuts pretty much indefinitely, make even deeper cuts, or a combination of the two, while other analysts are still saying that the market will balance out and the glut will ease by end of the year.

Then there are there contrarians who are saying that OPEC is screwed no matter what, because there's more than enough free capacity in the American market to counteract pretty much any move OPEC makes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #1083 on: May 05, 2017, 12:23:40 AM »
$2.28 today without any discounts (The Fistful Rule).   So that's down $.14 since mid-April when I last topped off the tank. 

I was very surprised by the price.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #1084 on: May 06, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
1.94 today in upstate SC.

Feels like this is the longest in my lifetime for stable prices like this.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1085 on: May 07, 2017, 11:31:31 PM »
The cheap stuff here's been dropping for the last week or so.  Today it was down to $1.97.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1086 on: May 08, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
Oddly enough, the Citgo near my house had dropped to 2.25 a gallon.

Two days ago it jumped to 2.29 a gallon.

But, I'm getting ready to cash in 417 gas points on my Giant card. That's 40 cents a gallon off.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #1087 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
I paid $2.62 yesterday for 93 octane. Regular unleaded was $2.02.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1088 on: May 08, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
What do you drive that you need to pay for premium?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #1089 on: May 11, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Aaaannnnddddd the *expletive deleted*ers passed the tax increase. Governor vetoed it and then they overrode the veto

I'm going to go ahead and make the prediction that the roads do not get any better and that money disappears down a black hole of unaccountability

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1090 on: May 11, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
$ 2.49 this morning at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1091 on: May 12, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
The gas station by my house (Sheetz) was $1.99 last night.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1092 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
I paid $2.13 a gallon near where I drop Seren off for doggy day care.

At the Citgo near my house? The price went back UP to $2.29 a gallon.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1093 on: May 12, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
I paid $2.13 a gallon near where I drop Seren off for doggy day care.

At the Citgo near my house? The price went back UP to $2.29 a gallon.

3 minutes from the Sheetz are two gas stations that are right off the interstate. $2.29 at them.

I'm amazed that they can make money. It can't be local business, given people can drive 3 minutes in any direction to find a cheaper gas station and I wouldn't think there were that many travelers to make the extra 30¢ profit per gallon worthwhile.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1094 on: May 12, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
3 minutes from the Sheetz are two gas stations that are right off the interstate. $2.29 at them.

I'm amazed that they can make money. It can't be local business, given people can drive 3 minutes in any direction to find a cheaper gas station and I wouldn't think there were that many travelers to make the extra 30¢ profit per gallon worthwhile.

Oh hell, that's nothing.

There's an Exxon Station here in Northern Virginia. It's outside the smallish town proper, near the CIA headquarters, near the entrance to the George Washington Parkway, and the last gas station before you cross the Potomac and the only gas station in sight.

OK, given all that you know it will carry a premium.

The stations in the small town proper, less than 2 miles away, run $2.19 to $2.30 for regular.

This little Exxon?

Unleaded regular is THREE NINETEEN a *expletive deleted*ing gallon.

I've heard it said, but have never seen it confirmed, that that station is, far and away, the most expensive station in Virginia.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #1095 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
What do you drive that you need to pay for premium?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1096 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:30 PM »
Today the cheap stuff was down to $1.96.

The little (1,350 pop.) town near us has 3 gas stations - a Chevron across the street from a no-name w/grocery store, 2 miles down the road at the other end of town is another no-name with a restaurant & snack shop.  The Chevron and 1st no-name are consistently $0.40 to $0.50 more per gallon than the second no-name.  And there are always cars at the pumps of the first two.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1097 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:33 AM »

You must be wrong. They don't price gasoline "wrong" nowadays, not for long. Gasoline pricing is very sophisticated. I would say if the price is 0.30 higher in that location...then the price really is 0.30 higher.

https//www.wsj.com/articles/why-do-gas-station-prices-constantly-change-blame-the-algorithm-1494262674
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #1098 on: May 13, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Paid $3.09 for super in Denville NJ yesterday. They keep saying on the news that crude has dropped and that the prices of gas are dropping. Apparently that info hasn't hit stations around here, gas is up 50 cents over the last month... Boomhauer, my parents moved to Anderson in December and were a bit shocked by the registration costs for their cars. I had to remind them that their property taxes were less then 10% of what they were in NJ, and on a bigger house at that. Plus, next year once they qualify for the senior exemption, they'll be around 5% of what they paid up north. At least you guys get an offset.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #1099 on: May 13, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
Filled up for 1.87 yesterday. And like boomhauer I'm ready to flog people over the gas tax increase they just rammed through.

Out DOT is corrupt enough Chicago could take notes and they waste money left right and center on top of being about as corrupt as humanly possible.

I doubt a single extra pot hole gets filled, and if it does it'll be in the lower 2/3's of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.