Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384523 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
I suspect this has more to do with catalytic converters removing NOx.  Very few cars on the road without that tech now vs the early 90's.

And the gasoline was formulated to further enhance the performance of catalytic converters at various times of the year as well as account for those vehicles that didn't have them.

The primary summer pollutant is ozone in the DC metro area, with oxygenated gasolines being used in winter to cut down on carbon monoxide, which is the primary winter pollutant.

Very few things are ever "the one, the only, THE solution!", and this is one of them. It's a multi-tiered approach. You want to see what can happen when there's little to none of this approach? Beijing.

I'm personally not a big fan of a lot of what the gub does, but in the case of gasoline enhancements, I'm pretty much all for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
Not a comprehensive test but I will keep looking for one on the oxygenated winter blends
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
I have not read beyond highlights in this
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-421

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »
Oh, and everyone get ready for a spike in gasoline prices in the next few days.

Oil and gasoline futures are on a rocket sled today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
What's spooked the market?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »

Supposedly $60 a barrel is one of the magic prices to get many of the domestic rigs to start pumping again.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »

Yesterday was a small drop in the huge glut of US supplies.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
Supposedly $60 a barrel is one of the magic prices to get many of the domestic rigs to start pumping again.

I read a few days ago that two of the major frackers plan to dip into their fracklog in the June-July timeframe if prices remain above $60/barrel.  That makes me wonder if we won't see price oscillations over months long cycles become the norm.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
2.45 this am

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2015, 07:17:40 AM »
"That makes me wonder if we won't see price oscillations over months long cycles become the norm."

Friend and I were discussing that, and we both think that's correct.

Most of it will be driven by the retarded monkeys who trade oil, either through direct commodity tenders or via the large hedge funds. Many of them were hurt pretty badly in the drop over the last few months.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:21 AM »
Down to $2.28/$2.29 in my parts.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
Got this in my e-mail today:

Hey Scout,

Great news! It’s time. Your new and improved BP Driver Rewards program is here. And to celebrate, we’re pumping it up even more with a limited-time offer.

Limited-time offer:
Earn 25¢ off per gallon

for every $100 spent on BP fuel at participating locations from now until September 1st, 2015.* After September 1st, 2015, you will receive 10¢ off per gallon.**

You don’t need to do a thing. Just head to your participating local BP station, and start earning today.
No need to get a new card either – use the one you have. Or use your registered phone number at the pump to earn and redeem rewards.†

The only reason I got the card was that I running low and needed to buy gas in Illinois.  Pulled into my local BP (as it was enroute and I didn't have time to drive the 5 miles to the cheapest place per gasbuddy.com),  Saw their "Say $.20 per gallon on your first fill-up and $.05 per gallon after.  Grabbed one of the cards from the flyer holder on the pump.  Used my phone to register it, and got my $.20 off.  I've used it once since to get my $.05  (I also get $.05 off at Pilot stations, but the closest one is Gary, IN on the way to my folks, which is also $.20-$.40 cheaper due to the lack of Illinois taxes.)  So this will be handy around here, should the need arise.  And also this summer when we travel.

If there are BP's in your area, $.20 off per gallon is pretty good deal.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
Oh, and I forgot that the USAA Mastercard has a $.05 per gallon cashback award program.

I figure at some point, I'll be getting paid to fill-up.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »
Irag announced they are going to increase production by 26%, curious what that will do to global oil prices.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iraq-flood-oil-market-front-143746722.html

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
There is a lot of uncertainty amongst oil speculators caused by how poorly Iraq is doing against ISIS.  The resulting fear factor will probably offset any potential drop in prices caused by the extra oil coming on the market.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
Oil took a hard hit today.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
Oil took a hard hit today.

WTI was down a $1.69 during the day, but has recovered .32 in after hours electronic trading as of this writing.  The Iraq announcement will wear off in a day or three and oil will recover to the $60.50-61.50 range where it's been hovering lately (in my non-expert opinion).

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2015, 06:30:14 PM »
Irag announced they are going to increase production by 26%, curious what that will do to global oil prices.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iraq-flood-oil-market-front-143746722.html

I wonder what it will do to OPEC.  I bet, it will be Katy-bar-the-door on Production.  Venezuela is probably going to ramp up also as it's economy hits bottom and starts to dig.   And even ISIS is selling the oil from the areas it seizes, so there's no net loss when they take over.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
WTI was down a $1.69 during the day, but has recovered .32 in after hours electronic trading as of this writing.  The Iraq announcement will wear off in a day or three and oil will recover to the $60.50-61.50 range where it's been hovering lately (in my non-expert opinion).

As of right now your non-expert opinion sucks. :rofl:

Brent and WTI are both down, and gasoline and heating oil (the one that I really stress over because of Mom's house) are down sharply again.

Now that we're through the first major travel day of the season gasoline prices should hopefully stabilize a bit. To be honest, I expected the prices to rise harder than they did.

Gasoline at the station near my house is $2.67, at the station near CastleKey's house is $2.61, and in Pennsylvania between $2.75 and $2.89 where I was traveling this past weekend.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »
It was $2.53 when I was in Indy over weekend, and that was before I got $.20 off at BP, and another $.05 for using my USAA card.   So my net cost was $2.28.

Gas Stations here are $3.25 as of Tuesday.  I sooooooo hate Illinois.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
Of the three gas station close by the house, two raised their prices .10 for the holiday to $2.59.  The third station left theirs at $2.45.  Of course, they got most of the business over the weekend.  Those two stations that raised their prices have yet to drop them back to pre-holiday levels as of Wednesday.  I'm starting to think they may have been a regular price increase having nothing to do with the holiday weekend.  If the third station raises their prices in a few days we'll know for sure.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
As of right now your non-expert opinion sucks. :rofl:

Brent and WTI are both down, and gasoline and heating oil (the one that I really stress over because of Mom's house) are down sharply again.

I wonder if I could get paid for my predictions?  They 're often just as good have the same level of accuracy as those from the professional types.   =D

edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:26:12 AM by RocketMan »

• friends
Re:
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Might be some SERIOUS spikes in gas prices over the next week or so.

WTI and Brent were both up in excess of 4%.

Gasoline futures were up over 5%, and heating oil futures were up over 4.5%

All for a US draw down of 2.8 million barrels of crude over the last week...

Still leaving inventories in the record breaking territory. *expletive deleted*ing traders are such bitches.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »

Still leaving inventories in the record breaking territory. *expletive deleted*ing traders are such bitches.

I think there needs be a law that commodity traders have to have the facilities for full possession of the entire product to be able to trade.

Uranus is a gas giant.