Author Topic: Me and the Zetas  (Read 7299 times)

Me and the Zetas
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:24:21 AM »
So, I'm going to Mexico.

The part where all the drug killings and kidnappings are going on.

I have, however, been assured that no one from my company has been killed yet, so I'm good and I will be protected by a gay Mexican driver, so how bad can it be, right?

Of course, there must be no crime in Mexico, because the average citizen is not allowed to have guns, so I'm not worried at all.

Seriously, I'm not too concerned but plan to be cautious. Anyone live in the Brownsville area? Is the situation overblown? I know quite a few people in my company are worried about it, but you never know if its a lot of media hype or not.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 01:15:36 AM »
Is this a short visit, or longer term assignment? My only experience with Mexico is as a tourist in Juarez, and I had no problems, but being on your guard is highly advisable. More details, por favore?

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 02:11:52 AM »
A week, on business. Making trips across the border each day, but sleeping in Texas.

Can't be more dangerous than Detroit, right?

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 03:28:45 AM »
Well, Detroit's bad enough.  You should be safe as long as you don't hire Mexican taxi drivers and stay off the streets after dark.

Love your location.  I'm also south of Paradise, but east of Hell.
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 03:52:52 AM »
I always thought maybe it was the western gateway to Hell. Smiley

There's a State Department warning issued for the border towns down there..mostly paramilitary drug cartels (so they say..sounds like buzz words to me.)

On the other hand, some practical precautions and ideas in case of trouble couldn't hurt. Never know, some day they could try to send me to Detroit. Smiley

Preacherman

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 07:39:24 AM »
I will be protected by a gay Mexican driver

Salsa con queerso?

:?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Ready on the Right

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »
You probably can't go wrong buying a little folding knife to keep in your pocket once you get across the border.
There is no such thing as a "deadly weapon", there are only deadly people.

griz

• friend
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 04:06:17 AM »
On the other hand, some practical precautions and ideas in case of trouble couldn't hurt. Never know, some day they could try to send me to Detroit.

Sounds like you'll be careful and you still have your sense of humor. That's a good way to start a trip. Be careful.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 09:14:07 AM »
The gay Mexican driver thing kind of got me. I asked if he was at least a big gay guy and not a little swishy gay guy and they laughed, so I'm guessing swishy.  :?

So, I guess if I get robbed, the best response would not be to tell them to stuff it, eh? Sometimes being lippy has its downside, lemme tell ya.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_2100.html
That's the State Department warning. Sounds like as long as one is sensible about things, not too much will happen.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 09:37:26 AM »
Best of luck, Barbara, and have fun! Don't forget to sample to nectar of the agave!

Azrael256

• friend
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »
Sounds like as long as one is sensible about things, not too much will happen.
 Pretty much true.  Stupid people are better targets.  If somebody comes after you, remember, DON'T GET IN THE CAR.  You're, statistically, about 50 times better off making a break for it.

Parker Dean

• friend
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 12:38:28 PM »
I don't pay it too much attention but I do hear the occasional news report whie driving around the McAllen-Brownsville area, and they seem to be having themselves a proper little drug war there across the border with a hearty helping of intimidation of public officials. So far they seem to be confining themselves to knocking each other off along with some mayors, police and their immediate relatives. I haven't heard any reports of tourists or business travelers being bothered.

wingman

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »
I have traveled (driving) some in Mexico however I would not now
overall it "has" changed while always corrupt it has become more violent,
avoid driving alone, don't go out at nite in the area you posted, dress down, and make sure you get a huge salary for going there. Wink

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »
SWMBO went down recently (January) and did the same thing (business in Mexico/slept in Tejas).  "No worries, as scary as when you take me to Chicago." :shock:

As for the "Zetas" Wink, I would stay out of the frat houses and out of the gun shoppes where paranoia runs as wide and deep as the Colorado river.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Suoiruf Selyts

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »
I will be protected by a gay Mexican driver

Salsa con queerso?

:?

Gee, Preach, that's not very APS, now is it?

Preacherman

Me and the Zetas
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 12:17:06 PM »
O backwards Furious one, the appelation "queer" is one that is self-chosen by many gay groups:  witness the oft-repeated slogan "We're queer and we're here!".  It's not considered derogatory, but rather descriptive, by most of the "gay groups" I've had contact with in the course of my professional career.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Me and the Zetas
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 02:48:31 PM »
So get used to it.

:shock:  Cheesy  cheesy  :twisted:

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor