Author Topic: Random questions  (Read 4650 times)

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Random questions
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
STOS couldn't have toilets cause there were non on TV. In later versions, the waste is beamed directly out of the bowels to supply matter for the replicator

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
As a kid "coke" was a generic term in my neck of the woods.

Hey Bubba garb me a coke.
Sure, what do you want?
I'll have a Dr. Pepper.

it's pretty solid as "pop" now.

How come you never see a toilet on Star Trek?

This one always amused me.

See the very dark county on the map in WI, just right of the lower center of the state? That's where I grew up. It was always 'Pop'- if you said anything else, you were obviously an outsider. I've lived on the 'East coast of WI for most of my adult life, I haven't heard the word 'pop' in about 20 years.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
Why are pizzas round, but the box they come in is square?

We have a cultural bias toward round pizzas.  It's probably stupid but it is there.  It scales up better to larger sizes than rectangles do because each pie slice still has a crust handle. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »
I grew up near that one county in Iowa that calls pop, soda. Drives my wife nuts when I ask her to pick up soda from the store. She keeps telling me its pop, and I tell her get me diet mountain dew soda. :)

She also hates that I pronounce wash, worsh; Washington is worshington and drop my g's at the end of words.

Also a sofa/couch is a davenport.

Drinking fountain is a water cooler.

Draft beer is called draw. But you ask what is on tap.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »
She also hates that I pronounce wash, worsh; Washington is worshington and drop my g's at the end of words.

And I thought that was a Texas thing  ;)

Also, the inflection on some words (which I think is a Scots/Irish/Gaelic thing).  For instance, I still say INsurance.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
We have a cultural bias toward round pizzas.  It's probably stupid but it is there.  It scales up better to larger sizes than rectangles do because each pie slice still has a crust handle. 

I imagine that if you go to a place that still hand rolls out the ball of dough, round is the easiest way to do it.  Also, all the pans are round if you eat it there.
The pizza place I worked at had a rolling machine that flattened out the dough, but it was still hand shaped more or less just all the dough was done at once.  I think DoubleDave's places still hand shape each pizza.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »

Jets Pizza does rectangular.

Around here, a lot of thin crust pizza is cut into squares.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
Also, the inflection on some words (which I think is a Scots/Irish/Gaelic thing).  For instance, I still say INsurance.  =)

w N b c...

Makes me think of Howard Stern's movie.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
I think I do remember using soda water or soda as well as "coke" to refer soft drinks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
Another question. In Paul Simon's 1972 song "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard", Simon parodies a Hispanic (Puerto Rican?) youth. It wasn't considered racist then. Is it racist now? Is the song still played? Is playing it racist?  Is Paul Simon, who's Jewish, a "white Hispanic" in the same way that George Zimmerman, who is Hispanic but has a Jewish name, a white Hispanic?

I doubt any 1972 Paul Simon songs get airplay, racial overtones or not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »
Also, when he splits up with Marie at her British friend's house, Bourne gives her a bunch of cash, and says he just kept $30K for himself. $30K wouldn't last long travelling all over Europe for a year.

IIRC, the deposit box had several different currencies in it; he may have meant that he gave her all but $30kUSD, and still had lots of francs, lire, etc., or he may have had more stashed in various accounts for the names in his different passports (after all, an established bank account is a good backup for a fake ID: if someone's looking that close, it would stand out that you never had a penny in any bank anywhere until your $100k deposit last week) and gave her all but $30k of his cash.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
Cakes are square.  Pies are round.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 02:38:06 AM »

Yes, but why? Pies could be square and would taste the same.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:09 AM »

No, pi r squared.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:37 AM »
I doubt any 1972 Paul Simon songs get airplay, racial overtones or not.

Those are the kinds of overplayed songs on which radio thrives.

And just as an aside, I never pass up the chance to remark that Simon's no good without Garfunkel.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
Around here, a lot of thin crust pizza is cut into squares.

I miss that.  You can request square cuts around here.  It'll still be delivered sliced into wedges at least 75% of the time.  I've given up trying.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
IIRC, the deposit box had several different currencies in it; he may have meant that he gave her all but $30kUSD, and still had lots of francs, lire, etc., or he may have had more stashed in various accounts for the names in his different passports (after all, an established bank account is a good backup for a fake ID: if someone's looking that close, it would stand out that you never had a penny in any bank anywhere until your $100k deposit last week) and gave her all but $30k of his cash.
Correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca06PmdVIzg#t=74
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
On the spy/money issue, I've noticed that very few writers who mysteries, espionage, or thrillers have main characters that are anything but financially well-off.  Very few give a plausible explanation as to where the money came from.  Best example I've seen of money in books is the novels of John Sandford...the Lucas Davenport series (the Prey mysteries) and the Virgil Flowers series.  Davenport is a cop who developed games based on his experiences, worked with smart guys to turn them into computer simulations/games, and sold for big money, then invested the money well.  Sandford does a good job of throwing in the nice money references (Porsche, expensive suits, etc.) but in a believable way.  The fun part is with the Virgil Flowers series (a spin-off of the Prey series) where the guy is a working cop, has enough money to live, but isn't driving around in a fancy car throwing cash around.  Sandford goes so far as to have the character worry about expenses, how to pay for his fishing boat repairs, etc.  Good reads if you like the mystery stuff.  Gun details aren't Correia-level good, but better than most.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
Where's the beef?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
Where's the beef?

It's what's for dinner  ;)

No, pi r squared.
Of all the people on all the forums in the world, why did it have to be you that got the joke  :lol:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
Correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca06PmdVIzg#t=74

Can't remember who it was, but there was one author who included quite a bit about how much went into maintaining multiple identities; buying groceries and gas on the various bank cards from time to time, getting motel rooms etc. so that anyone looking closely at one would see some activity, rather than a guy who has $50k in the bank that he never withdraws from or deposits to between the initial deposit and the day he suddenly pops into normal daily spending.  As I recall, his character also maintained a couple of identities that only his handler knew about in case of issues internal to the department, and a couple that even the handler didn't know about, specifically in case he got burned and needed to disappear.  Had some creative ways of shuffling money between identities without letting them be linked to each other too.