Author Topic: NHTSA proposes requiring vehicle to vehicle comm systems  (Read 11915 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: NHTSA proposes requiring vehicle to vehicle comm systems
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Just wait till a hacker figures out how to get into it.   [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Isn't the middle finger the traditional V2V communication device?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
So, TCAS for cars. I figured it would happen some day.

More ways to reduce driver ability to the minimum level.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:19 AM »
You think road rage is an issue now, just wait until people can trade insults without rolling down their windows.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
You think road rage is an issue now, just wait until people can trade insults without rolling down their windows.

http://www.kleargear.com/1904.html
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »
If we are going to have automated cars, we need more technology to allow cops to takeover your car.  Also for hackers to do the same. 

Can you imagine the new method for assassination?  Just hack the auto-drive system and make a small "change" at a critical time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
Looking into it a bit more, google has >700,000 accident free miles on their self driving cars. But they always have a human in them I believe? No word on how often the human has to intervene. They also can't handle non-standard signals, heavy rain or snow etc. Still a ways off...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
Their "700 000 accident-free miles" is more like "70 miles driven accident-free 10000 times". They test their cars on pre scouted routes and admit they cannot cope with things like construction or detours or completely unfamiliar locations.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »
I thought that horns were already required  ???

;)  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
Just wait till a hacker figures out how to get into it.   [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
a whole new hell for women. =|

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »

This is not necessarily "the man is taking over your car!" stuff. It could be locational, to let you know if a vehicle is in your blind spot. Or emergency, to let you know the car in front of you is violently decelerating or that the Mack truck behind you just lost his brakes.

If it's extremely short ranged, I'm not overly concerned. Cars already have built in networks, and yes, they can be hacked. Overtime security will generally tighten up. If you essentially make a read only wifi access point with a 100m transmission radius that exposes only some variables, it's not that bad.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
Tent / camel nose
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
This is not necessarily "the man is taking over your car!" stuff. It could be locational, to let you know if a vehicle is in your blind spot.

That's easily enough done with much simpler technology already implemented in backup warning systems; just point sensors off the corners.  Or teach people to adjust their mirrors properly so the blind spots are minimized.  Both have another significant advantage in that the hidden vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian/object doesn't have to be equipped with whatever sort of transmitter your car recognizes

Or emergency, to let you know the car in front of you is violently decelerating

Brake lights getting closer provide a pretty intuitive indication of that already.

or that the Mack truck behind you just lost his brakes.

And what can you do about that?  Run the light and take your chances with the cross traffic?  (Better hope you're first in line.)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
That's easily enough done with much simpler technology already implemented in backup warning systems; just point sensors off the corners.  Or teach people to adjust their mirrors properly so the blind spots are minimized.  Both have another significant advantage in that the hidden vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian/object doesn't have to be equipped with whatever sort of transmitter your car recognizes

*shrug*  So write up your concerns and submit them for comment.

Brake lights getting closer provide a pretty intuitive indication of that already.

Not in a rain storm or snow storm.

And what can you do about that?  Run the light and take your chances with the cross traffic?  (Better hope you're first in line.)

*shrug* Was moreso thinking highway. But any warning is better than none. Best one I could think of would be loss of traction warnings from vehicles ahead of you. Basically black ice warning or whatnot.

I'm not claiming I think it's a particularly good idea. Just claiming it's not Tin Foil Time(tm) yet.  I'd be more upset at the increased vehicle costs than paranoia, conspiracy theory, liberty reasons. I significantly doubt the powers that be will mandate a GSM modem be included, as it'd be hideously expensive. If it's not always connected, it's not going to be a significant privacy threat. I still have no idea what overriding V2V capacities are needed, let alone wanted.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Just claiming it's not Tin Foil Time(tm) yet.

Lots of people have said the same about every just-a-little-intrusive government action throughout history.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
I think it is well beyond tinfoil time. If it is done right is like asking the federal government to adopt uniform firearms laws across the land and trusting that we'll all come out looking like Wyoming, Alaska, or Vermont.  Government of all levels has already proven itself incapable of doing right when sensing a chance to access cell phone data or existing vehicle systems like On-star. Any move towards smart cars, self-driving cars or anything similar is really just a play to know where every vehicle is at at all times. And pretty soon you are requesting to travel. I wonder if a state could mandate EZ-pass toll systems. That in itself would be a statist wank-bank, no need to collect toll everywhere but you could put a detector on every exit ramp. Might end up being like the Matrix, don't ever go on the limited access federal road.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Any move towards smart cars, self-driving cars or anything similar is really just a play to know where every vehicle is at at all times.

The fact that they could already do this via cell phones is one of the reasons I really prefer a rooted Android; plenty of location-spoofing and location-adjusting (intercept the GPS data and apply an adjust) apps that work at a low enough level to fool anything that doesn't pull straight from the GPS receiver.  Not the most effective thing when you're heading down I20 with no parallel road a mile to the south, but once you're in a big city it can send them to a location that just might tip their hand.  (Cops around here are notorious for staging just out of sight of the target, and in full view of everyone else in the area, then wondering how the target found out in a town where everybody knows everybody.  Heck, a couple of times there have been photos of what's obviously staging for something posted to Facebook as it happens.)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
It's already quite easy to know where a vehicle is at all times.

Self-driving cars (which are inevitable in our future, anyway) can also lead to an immense increase in personal freedom.

If the car drives itself and doesn't even have a steering wheel (and driverless cars are unlikely to have one), there's no point in driver's licensing, or rolling DUI checkpoints, or a whole variety of other things related to the above.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 05:58:10 PM »

Self-driving cars (which are inevitable in our future, anyway) can also lead to an immense increase in personal freedom.

If the car drives itself and doesn't even have a steering wheel (and driverless cars are unlikely to have one), there's no point in driver's licensing, or rolling DUI checkpoints, or a whole variety of other things related to the above.

You're assuming that everyone drives on streets or roads  :facepalm:

How would you, for instance - drive a wild land fire engine to a fire without a steering wheel  ???

Same thing for power line maintenance, oilfield operation, farmers/ranchers, etc etc etc ....

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
You're assuming that everyone drives on streets or roads  :facepalm:

How would you, for instance - drive a wild land fire engine to a fire without a steering wheel  ???

Same thing for power line maintenance, oilfield operation, farmers/ranchers, etc etc etc ....

That's a tiny fraction of the vehicles that exist.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »

Know where a vehicle is, a lot different than know where all vehicles are.  Autonomous vehicles are a statist dream. No one could be allowed to drive a regular vehicle mixed in with self-piloted ones. All vehicles would be tracked. Within a short time permission would be asked to travel. Travel could be terminated on a whim by anyone with access to the controlling systems. Not really sure why libertarian types are clamoring for this.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
So, TCAS for cars. I figured it would happen some day.

More ways to reduce driver ability to the minimum level.

I agree completely.

Have y'all seen the commercials for the new car model with collision warning and blind spot warning systems? (They are common these days.) There's one showing a guy motoring along on (presumably) his daily commute and having one close call after another -- all neatly avoided by his high-tech car. My reaction when I saw it was, "Learn how to drive, you jerk!" These systems are only needed by the people who think it's a good idea to read and send text messages while driving.

(Oh, wait -- maybe that makes this technology 100 percent mandatory.)

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/10/ford-adds-auto-braking-pedestrian-detection-to-collision-warning-system.html

But with technology like this already available, why do we need cars to converse with one another? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVk93PJ-rg
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
That's a tiny fraction of the vehicles that exist.

So ...  ???

It's interesting how people who live in cities think the rest of the world doesn't exist and/or doesn't matter.