Author Topic: End of the semester. I need to rant.  (Read 3270 times)

Azrael256

• friend
End of the semester. I need to rant.
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:28:10 AM »
Since everybody around me is at least waist-deep in this (some of us are neck-deep in it), I'm coming here to rant and rave.  

You ever notice how the spring semester is always the worst?  For some reason, it is so much harder than the fall.  One year, it was my bonehead move of taking 19 hours.  Last year, it was a car accident.  This year, it's all kinds of fun stuff.

So, last week, Thursday night, it was, a good friend of mine gets popped for public intox.  She's a sweet, cute little girl I dated briefly about a year ago.  She's also dumb as a post, and doesn't make the best decisions regarding men.  Obviously, since she's not dating me Smiley  We had her pretty well straightened out as of about a year ago.  She was going to class, doing her homework, going to bed early, and generally conducting herself as a lady.  Then she met this dude.  He had other plans.  I have heard tales of him taking her to strip joints.  That's the kind of fellow he is.  Well, they got drunk thursday night.  Drunk, and angry.  Angry, and loud.  In front of her apartment here on campus.  Her roommate called me when this started, but my spidey-sense told me not to answer the phone.  I'm glad I didn't.  The neighbors called it in as a domestic, and it starts raining police.  They hauled him off, in cuffs, and towed his car, and they pitched her in the tank.  Her roommate asked me to go get her out of jail the next morning.  It was odd that she hadn't shown up yet, since detox is just an overnight sort of thing, and it was 1100.  She showed up about 30 minutes later.  BF's sister had dropped her off.  So, now she's failing two of her dance classes (you don't miss dance classes unless you're near death), is behind enough on her rent that she's getting "pay up or we kick you out" notices, and that whole arrest thing.

So, Dionysusigma, Q-dog (ya'll don't know Q-dog) and I decide to go out to dinner Friday night to cool off a bit.  We ended up trapped in the middle of the hot-rod association cruising thing.  It was actually really cool.  We all like cars.  That, and dinner was good.  There's this Chinese joint we like, and it always has good food.  Then we went to see a movie.  We saw Sin City.  Good flick if you haven't seen it.

Saturday was pretty good, too.  It was Dionysusigma's 21st, so we went to the gun shop and got a pistol for him.  I also saw a K31 and couldn't resist.  Then it was off to the range with a few other friends and Dionysusigma's dad.  We burned off a few thousand rounds, and generally had a great time.  My roommate hadn't so much as touched a gun in more than a decade, so we got to enjoy that giddy, giggling expression of "Hey, this is COOL," when he started shooting.  After the range, we had dinner, and then Dionysusigma, his brother, and I hit Bricktown.  We only stopped at one place, but it was a nice night, and we sat out on the back patio drinking scotch and swapping stories.  Just so you know, all three of us were smoking.  Wouldn't want to leave out the 'T'.

Sunday was nothing special.  I slept late and did some homework.

Monday, however, was a real rodeo.  I get a phone call at about 2145 from a friend across the street.  We'll call him B-man.  Roommate and I went over there, and another friend, we'll call her "girl" is huddled up on the couch.  B-man tells us that somebody jumped her in a parking lot and tried to rape her.  The alarm bells were going off before he finished his sentence.  I always thought people in her situation wouldn't want to be surrounded by us icky boys right after that.  So I talk to her.  She says she was visiting a friend, walked out to her truck to leave, and somebody tackled her, climbed up on her, she could feel his erection, etc.  She kicked, screamed, and got away to her truck.  Problem was, I didn't find a mark on her.  Aside from the collar of her t-shirt being torn at the back (which isn't hard to fake), there was absolutely no evidence that she'd wrestled with a rapist in a parking lot.  So we took her home.  She seemed awfully talkative for a recent attempted rape victim.  It was also strange that this just *happened* to occur the same day that she and I had "the talk" about how I don't want to date her.  Hmm...

Yesterday, she was still awfully talkative.  She said that her anonymous assailant "knows who she is" because he sent her an email.  "OH Goody!" I'm thinking.  "Now I can find the bastard!"  Except that she deleted it.  WHOOPS!  The bells are going off again!  So I hoof it to work, and chat with our email administrator.  He checked the retention log.  Nothing.  We didn't even bother trying a recovery on her mailbox (that requires a warrant or the like anyway).  So roommate and I decide that this is all a big steaming load of rich creamery butter, so we call B-man over to discuss.  He was noticing more than a few odd things as well.  So I look up this apartment complex where it happened, and we take a little road trip to investigate the "scene."  Did I mention that she refused to call the police?  Even after this ethereal email!  This is all the "investigation" that's going to happen.  Or needs to, for that matter.

What we found was a teensy little parking lot that's laid out something like an obstacle course.  How, exactly, a freaked-out 20 year old, in a light truck, who can't back the bloody thing down a driveway (seriously.  B-man had to back her truck down a straight driveway once) is going to back out of a space, drive through this automotive quigley course, all with a psycho stalker rapist right behind her...  As our favorite professor is so fond of saying, "'Tis a puzzlement."  I also recalled her saying, both to me personally, and in her blog about this incident (yes, she wrote an entry about it.  the NEXT DAY) that it was real dark.  Now I'm no physicist, I barely passed the optics section of physical science, but this place was lit up like a runway.  Sodium lights about every ten feet, mercury lights up on the building, cars zooming by on 39th street.  This place could've passed for about noon, and it was about 2100 when we checked it out.

If I'm totally missing something on this one, would somebody please point it out to me?  I really hate to think that she concocted all of this, but I can't think of any real evidence that this happened.  Maybe I'm oblivious.

So, to top it all off, I wake up this morning with what feels like an extra vertebrae in my neck.  Something is jammed in there good.  The ibupropfen is taking the swelling down a bit, but it's kinda hard to turn my head, and it's pretty painful.  I'll survive, and I'll be fine tomorrow, but maaaaaan is this annoying.

*sigh*  

I can't wait for summer vacation.

F2

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 10:39:23 AM »
All part of the school experience.

At least you ain't getting bored.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:02:53 AM »
FWIW, the pistol I got was a Bersa Thunder .380, all-black (it's not blued... looks like paint).  Even trade for an unfired Mossberg 590. Smiley

The only details I know about the incident are this:

When I made mention of some defensive tactics to her just after lunch today, I brought up how easily a clavicle is broken (only four pounds of pressure, IIRC).  She then told me how tall the attacker was (from the sound of it, about 6'7"... and at 6'3" I'm one of the biggest guys I've seen ino this state).  Come to think of it, she was awfully chatty today (and no visible marks either, from what I could tell).

I honestly believe that she is by no means an "attention 'prostitute'" (Art's Grammaw is just down the hall, I think), but something doesn't quite add up.  

One big important detail I just noticed---!

Did I mention that she refused to call the police?  Even after this ethereal email!  This is all the "investigation" that's going to happen.  Or needs to, for that matter.
I'm sure you may recall, Azrael256, the... ah... Greek Goddess (initials TB) having a problem with an individual we all dubbed "Lawschool Boy."  For those not in the know, "Greek Goddess" had a run-in with an individual who attacked her in the law library of our school.  THis guy was then confined to the law library and law school, and banned from being anywhere else on campus.  (The fact that the main girl's dorm is between these two seems to be an un-talked-about inconvenience.)  Today, as I was talking to "girl" and "Greek Goddess," this guy walks into the Student UNion, right in front of the three of us.  And what does "girl" do?

Picks up her phone immediately and calls Campus Security.

Completely out of character.

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark... Sad
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »
Personally, I think telling people you were raped when nothing happened is a cardinal sin.  You can't really tell the person they are lying though.  I am assuming nothing happened, based on your story.

Greg L

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:09:06 AM »
Quote from: Azrael256
 It was also strange that this just *happened* to occur the same day that she and I had "the talk" about how I don't want to date her.
There is the key sentence of the whole story.  She doesn't want you to leave & is creating a scenario where you will feel protective of her & stick around.   Given the lengths that she went to & the evidence that you found that showed that she was full of it (Art's Grandmaw Rule Cheesy ) you need to tell her that you will be supportive of her little fantasy (phrase it differently Wink ) but that you were serious about it being over.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 09:25:18 AM »
Update!

She has, at least to some extent, figured out that we're not buying it.  She's coming up with more lies to back herself out of it gracefully.  As of last night at around 1800, another of her friends was attacked, but this one filed a police report, so girl did too.  Then, at around 2020, she got a text message from the ethereal "assailed friend" that they had caught the dude.  Of course, she wouldn't show me the text message, ostensibly because this dude's name was in it, and she thinks I'll go kill him (which I would, had it been true).  Now, this afternoon, he has committed suicide.  How convenient!

Not to worry, though, all three of these discussions occured within sight of something on the order of 5,000 people.  Seriously.  In the gym during a lecture, and outside during lunch.  

You guys ever see The Court Jester?  Danny Kaye, Angela Lansbury, Basil Rathbone...  good flick.  I recommend it if you haven't.  Anyway, there's this scene where Cecil Parker is pacing around lamenting the fact that the "Robin Hood" sort of character is raiding the kingdom, and he exclaims...

"Why must I be surrounded by fools?!?!?"

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 10:31:46 AM »
"Why must I be surrounded by fools?!?!?"
Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
End of my semester I all I wanted to do was find some kegger, drink until I could barely standup and go find a girlie equally as drunk as me and attempt to hit on her in a suave and sophisticated demeaner. Then stumble back to my house and play Alcie Cooper's "Schools Out" over and over until my roomies would get pi$$ed off and make me turn it off and hide/drink what was left of my beer.

Never had any more drama than that, of course I usually split tail when some girlie went on and on about their boyfriend or friends, I had better things to do than get wrapped in some girl's low self esteem issues.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

kfranz

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »
Azrael256, you gotta get a mental flush mechanism.  Just like a toilet, it flushes out *expletive deleted*it that goes in your ears before it has a chance to stink up your brain.....

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 12:06:40 PM »
Well, they're putting in a new ACE just down the street.  I'll walk over there and inquire about it.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »
Ugh, I really hate the fake-rape stuff, it happens a little more often than it should, and it is DEEPLY insulting to people who are actually victimized.

Imagine how bad it could have gone. The next day the cops arrest some "suspicious character" in the parking lot of being suspicious. Lets just say ifs a 6'5" black male. SO naturally they call up "girl" and ask her "is this the guy"? What do you think she is going to say? That she takes it all back? Or maybe she will just say yes, and soak up all the sympathy that everyone can muster. Afterall if they actually arrested the guy it must have really happened. THis is how innocent people end up in jail. And THIS is why it is so hard for ACTUAL rape victims to come foreward. If you ever have occassion to discuss this with her you might point that out.

Holly76201

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 07:28:46 PM »
AZ, I'd say you really got an attention $lu+ on your hands. Run as fast and as far as you can in the opposite direction, figuratively, if not actually.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean