Author Topic: used car surprises  (Read 1423 times)

zahc

• friend
used car surprises
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
On craigslist I traded my convertible for an 02 Legacy station wagon due to sudden family expansion. It was a favorable trade, so i have been expecting to find something major wrong. In the process of wiring up a dedicated switch for the washer pump (steering column switch contacts are bad), found this under the dash with wires running to it. It looks like some add on hack job. The dongle thing pops out of a dock. There is a button and a weak led that blinks.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:08:06 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zahc

• friend
Re: used car surprises
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
The remote thing after being unplugged. I am really at a loss to explain what this is. The dock thing has like 5 wires going to it.

Also, I just love how I traded cars with someone with no money exchanged, yet each of us will owe over $200 in "sales tax".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:12:55 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
Looks like an old school aftermarket imobilizer. Will it run with the dongle taken out?

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
Looks like it might be an ignition bypass module for a remote starter.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »
It's a remote tracking device!  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

You are probably under surveillance by the FBI, CIA, DOE, FDA, USDA, DOT, HUD, and the DOI. Now that you've removed their device, expect one of their SWAT teams to be along shortly.  :police:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:08 AM »
I don't see what your concerns are.  You did not find a body (or body parts), a stash of drugs or cash, or full auto hand grenades.

And what do you mean "sudden family expansion"?  Didn't you get the usual 9 months advance notice?

Sounds like you are good to go.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »
One of those insurance company driving technique sensors?

A breathalyzer connection?

Remote starter receiver?  ETA someone else already suggested this.)

D'ja ask the former owner?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:54:54 AM by 230RN »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
token based immobilizer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »
I don't see what your concerns are.  You did not find a body (or body parts), a stash of drugs or cash, or full auto hand grenades.

And what do you mean "sudden family expansion"?  Didn't you get the usual 9 months advance notice?

Sounds like you are good to go.

stay safe.

"Full Auto hand grenades??"    [popcorn] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
"Full Auto hand grenades??"    [popcorn] ;/

Don't you keep up with the claptrap from CSGV/MDA?  They say we can get them by the gross at gun shows.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
Looks like an old school aftermarket imobilizer. Will it run with the dongle taken out?

Found a similar device on my '92 Cherokee. For several years I had in intermittent problem where the damn thing wouldn't engage the starter. Finally had enough and when full on trying to figure out the problem. Finally traced ignition wires to the aftermarket module. It was pretty well hidden under the dash and if you didn't know it was there or hadn't been tracing wires would have never found it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
I was going to do the same thing with one of my carbureted cars.  Couldn't decide whether to bugger up the ignition, the starter solenoid, or the fuel pump (which was much simper in terms of wiring).

Sold the car before I actually implemented it, though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:19:17 PM by 230RN »