Author Topic: Young men are giving up on women, says Breitbart  (Read 6189 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Young men are giving up on women, says Breitbart
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/04/The-Sexodus-Part-1-The-Men-Giving-Up-On-Women-And-Checking-Out-Of-Society

Interesting comments about the cost-benefit analysis of marriage and children from the young male point of view.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Young men are giving up on women, says Breitbart
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
Wow. I think I've been unconsciously aware of this notion, but the article's concept is pretty stark.

I certainly think it's fair to say that if you are a woman who wants children, it is increasingly easier, even encouraged, to have them outside a traditional marriage context.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
Interesting.

I have taken note of various inherently discriminatory but socially acceptable groups/causes that are aimed at anything but men.

For instance, at my workplace they had bins for donations to the "Womens Employment Network". kcwen.org

I question; how would it be perceived if I started a "Mens employment network"?  I have to thing it would be be decried as a sexist attempt to keep women down.

The tag line on the flyer was "Many women in our local community are seeking employment and economic independence; but they need a little help to get there."  Aside from the soft sexism implied by stating that women (to the exclusion of men) "need a little help to get there", one has to conclude that "economic independence" implies independence from men.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »

Ehh. I think the writer is more than a bit over the top.

True:
It is true that there is a strong perception that if you are a male, it's entirely possible or even probable to lose everything during a divorce. House, savings, kids, etc. I've also known guys to "drop out" of the concept that life's development is "get married". I've noticed a perception to have them described as "men-children", but the ones I know are pretty responsible folks. Java programmer, dentist, etc. They either got badly burned, or saw the financial/emotional downside to marriage. Most date or even have semi-serious long term relationships. I'm in that pool myself. I'm not opposed to getting married, but I do not remotely feel that I need to or should get married.

Not so true:
I have noticed that people believe boys are medicated more than girls. The last paper I read on the subject said ADHD was "underidentified and underdiagnosed because of differences in the expression of the disorder among boys and girls". I'm not really qualified to have a strong opinion on the subject, but I gather the science isn't extremely thorough when it comes to drugging kids out of their gourd.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/13/298

True: Misandrists exist. They tend to get the attention, so they soak up the bulk of perception. They have disproportionate influence due to getting that attention.

Not so true: Pick up artists, men's rights activists and the more mundane "Make me a sammich" types are virtuous and enlightened. Plenty of misogynistic folks exist in those ranks, and they're equally as bad as the bad excrement crazy misandrists. Like the misandrists, they get disproportionate attention because they're seek attention.

Bottom line, people often suck and the world would be a better place if folks treated each other with decorum or decency. Like most things in life, I take the libertarian approach: the government should ensure a level playing field, and stay out of the way beyond that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »
"Marriage is dead. Divorce means you're screwed for life. Women have given up on monogamy, which makes them uninteresting to us for any serious relationship or raising a family. That's just the way it is. Even if we take the risk, chances are the kids won't be ours. In France, we even have to pay for the kids a wife has through adulterous affairs.
This quote is right at the top.  I can understand some of the attitude when the laws and rules are set up to screw the husband when a marriage goes bad.  I am not familiar with the laws in Germany and France that the quote was referring to.  How many states here have alimony with no time limits?  I know we have seen some cases in the US where a husband was forced to pay child support for kids who were not his.

It isn't new I guess.  At the plant I started work at out of college, half the guys working there were on 2nd or 3rd wives and paying child support. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:58:20 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »
Of course, I also doubt most of the men they are referring to have made some decision to "give up" on women so much as put it off and never get back to it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
I can understand some of the attitude when the laws and rules are set up to screw the husband when a marriage goes bad.

I got out of mine with most of my stuff, most of my money(I didn't lose any, except the sizable chunk paid to the legal mercenary) , no alimony, shared custody with splitting all child rearing costs with the ex. I consider myself really lucky. It seems like just about every male I work with over the age of 40 has been divorced, most of them were much worse off than I am.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
I got out of mine with most of my stuff, most of my money(I didn't lose any, except the sizable chunk paid to the legal mercenary) , no alimony, shared custody with splitting all child rearing costs with the ex. I consider myself really lucky. It seems like just about every male I work with over the age of 40 has been divorced, most of them were much worse off than I am.

My divorce (coming up on five years-yay) cost me the price of a blue pen, as required by the notary a friend steered me to. Ex had real property she feared I would hire a legal mercenary (like the term) to get a piece of, so she made it as (functionally) painless for me as possible.

I'm not interested in doing the work or making the compromises a relationship would require, but the question is really moot as no real opportunity has presented. I don't blame women as a class for my situation. That said, I think there is some merit to the arguments made about gender division, just as on the basis of race and every other categorization progressivism relies on to create victim classes.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
According to Valizadeh, today's sexual marketplace represents a Pareto distribution in which "20 percent of the top guys have access to 80 percent of the best women," which has the effect of leaving women holding out for the perfect man, a man who of course never comes.

<snicker>
"It's good, though..."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
hell, I have three ex wives.  If things don't work out, you can try again, or you can  just give up.  For me, wife #4 has worked out perfectly for the past 25 years now.   =D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:24 AM »
I got married to the woman I lost my virginity to (and vice versa).  Nearly 13 years of marriage and 4 kids later I wouldn't change a thing.  I realized probably 7 years ago during a time period of partial separation due to a relocation that I'm simply not cut out to be a bachelor anymore.  In the unlikely event that I found myself single again I'd probably be remarried within a couple years.  I haven't given up on women, and I won't.  If I did I probably wouldn't live for very long.  Part of the trick is looking for women in the right kinds of places.  University probably is a good place to go to get laid (just make sure you get written consent, and set up the GoPro so you've got evidence of your innocence just in case she decides to cry rape), but unless it's a school like Hillsdale, or some other that still promotes classical liberalism, odds of finding wife material there is probably slim.  

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
Loking at the emotional wreckage of my marriage, I have absolutely no desire for the company of women anymore.   

Friends, yes.  Both male and female.  Intimate partner?  Oh. Hell. No. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
Loking at the emotional wreckage of my marriage, I have absolutely no desire for the company of women anymore.

I really can't blame you; the roller coaster is just too much after a while.

Seems like the "modern woman" is more likely to break it off after 4-5 dates because it seems too much like it might lead to a commitment, then complains about not having a steady boyfriend.  At first, it was really depressing, then I noticed they're doing the same thing to all the other guys too.  Now it just makes for a real bummer of a weekend every time I get dumped because things are going too well.

ETA: While I was typing that, I got a "it's been fun, but I'm not ready for where I think this might be heading, so let's not go out again" text from the one I took to dinner Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:55:03 AM by KD5NRH »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

Seems like the "modern woman" is more likely to break it off after 4-5 dates because it seems too much like it might lead to a commitment, then complains about not having a steady boyfriend.  At first, it was really depressing, then I noticed they're doing the same thing to all the other guys too.  Now it just makes for a real bummer of a weekend every time I get dumped because things are going too well.

ETA: While I was typing that, I got a "it's been fun, but I'm not ready for where I think this might be heading, so let's not go out again" text from the one I took to dinner Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-gfxjAaZg0  (NSWF)
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
*sigh* :facepalm:

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

*grumble grumble* the feminist agenda is destroying my life. *grumble grumble*

Seriously, all frustrated joking around aside, I think this article has merit. I got a feminist set of panties in a bunch when I used the phrase "feminist war on men" in a comment on FB about this article (Go me!)

Nothing can destroy self worth like being told you have no worth over and over, and have it coming from all sides. This attitude that all men are rapist keeps on going and in a few generations we're going to have men who are as neurotic about woman as we have woman now who are neurotic about the way they look.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »

Aaand...matching (three pages worth of text messages, but same plot, plus a moderately veiled "I'm way too desirable to waste time on reasonably priced dates with you when there are rich guys willing to spend a fortune trying to get in my pants") rejection from the one that was trying to lick my tonsils last week.

If the two redheads and the hot cougar get around to it this week, I'll be flat out of reasons to wear deodorant. (Doubtful, though; I only saw one of the redheads for a few minutes in the last week, and the hot cougar just called me and kept me talking for most of the 2 hour drive Saturday to pick up the one that pulled the eject handle this morning.)

Seriously considering just tossing the date budget for the next few months in a can and using it to build myself a really nice gym in the garage.

Anybody care to guess where I met three (including both of today's rejections) of these four?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:01:02 PM by KD5NRH »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Aaand...matching (three pages worth of text messages, but same plot, plus a moderately veiled "I'm way too desirable to waste time on reasonably priced dates with you when there are rich guys willing to spend a fortune trying to get in my pants") rejection from the one that was trying to lick my tonsils last week.

Look at the bright side- they are doing you a favor, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Its better that they treat you like that now on the 3rd,4th,or 5th date than 3 or 15 years from now. There are good women out there, it just sounds like the ones you are dealing with now are the female equivalent of the male PUA.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »
Anybody care to guess where I met three (including both of today's rejections) of these four?

I'm game.  Church?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
I'm game.  Church?

The docks?  Under a bridge?  Free clinic?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
Craigslist?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 06:36:24 PM »
There are a lot of guys  that say to find a self confident, respectful , loving,  woman who has not been corrupted by 20 years of anti-men PC BS,  look to other country's- Mexico, Asia, etc.  not a cure all , but the odds might be better.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
I'm game.  Church?

Two different churches.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
There are a lot of guys  that say to find a self confident, respectful , loving,  woman who has not been corrupted by 20 years of anti-men PC BS,  look to other country's- Mexico, Asia, etc.  not a cure all , but the odds might be better.

Worked for Al Bundy.

In all seriousness though, I would never date the 30 somethings I meet.  If my wife leaves, I'm not even trying again. Those of you still dating have my respect.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
I know we have seen some cases in the US where a husband was forced to pay child support for kids who were not his.

We've also seen cases where men have been forced to pay child support on children when they've never even slept with the woman

Sorry for the thread necromancy
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)