Author Topic: Gay Marriage can not be discussed at a Catholic University  (Read 1750 times)

brimic

• friends
Gay Marriage can not be discussed at a Catholic University
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
Synopsis:
1. A conservative student is told by a Teaching Assistant that they were not allowed to discuss or debate gay marriage in an ethics/philosophy class at Marquette University (A Catholic University)
2. A conservative professor speaks about the stifling of free exchange of ideas by the TA.
3. Conservative professor is banned from campus under the University's nebulous harassment policy.

The story:  http://fox6now.com/2014/12/17/banned-from-campus-marquette-university-professor-relieved-of-his-teaching-duties/
The blog: http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Gay Marriage can not be discussed at a Catholic University
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »
I'm a bit surprized that F.I.R.E. http://www.thefire.org/campus-rights/ has not picked up on that yet.  They usually report/comment on stuff even when they are not going to be directly involved.

I'm a bit astounded that a Jesuit school http://www.marquette.edu/about/catholic-jesuit.php would try to shut off discussion, as opposed to seizing the opportunity to demonstrate how anyone who holds such views is a apostate damned to eternal suffering.

http://www.marquette.edu/diversity/diversity-plan.shtml

Interim Provost Dr. Margaret Faut Callahan announced in her recent Faculty Forum that the university is developing a comprehensive diversity plan. Callahan noted that Dr. William Welburn, associate provost for diversity and inclusion, will lead the campus-wide plan.

“It is critical that we not only encourage diversity, but that we continually foster an environment that is welcoming and respectful of every member of our community,” Callahan said. “We know we will need collective input from faculty, staff and students across campus to form a meaningful plan and we will begin this process in the upcoming weeks.”

http://www.marquette.edu/diversity/statement.shtml

As a Catholic, Jesuit university, Marquette recognizes and cherishes the dignity of each individual regardless of age, culture, faith, ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, language, disability or social class. Precisely because Catholicism at its best seeks to be inclusive, we are open to all who share our mission and seek the truth about God and the world. Through our admissions and employment policies and practices, our curricular and co-curricular offerings, and our welcoming and caring campus environment, Marquette seeks to become a more diverse and inclusive academic community dedicated to the promotion of justice.

Our commitment to a diverse university community helps us to achieve excellence by promoting a culture of learning, appreciation and understanding. Each member of the Marquette community is charged to treat everyone with care and respect and to value and treasure differences. This call to action is integral to the tradition which we share.

:rofl:     :rofl:      :rofl:     :rofl:     :rofl:      :rofl:     :rofl:     :rofl:      :rofl:     :rofl:      :rofl:     :rofl:     :rofl:     :rofl:     :rofl:

I took the virtual campus tour.  I did not see the petard.  Wonder where they are keeping it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:02:27 PM »
Marquette has been a lefty school for quite a long time- at least since the early 90s when they changed their mascot from the 'Warriors' to the 'Golden Eagles.' Everyone hates the 'Golden Eagles' thing except their faculty and a few white apologists in the area.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
The bigger problem is that if a private 'Christian' University can get away with quashing ideas under the guise of multiculturalism through firings and sanctions, its not going to be long before public universities and other institutions follow suit.This is an issue of marxism to its core.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
I think this is fascinating.  Especially because the very large multi-state healthcare system that I used to work for is a Catholic system, and they were probably the most gay-friendly place I have ever worked.  Started domestic partner benefits, recognition of same sex marriage, family leave, etc, long before any state or Federal requirements to do so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
I think this is fascinating.  Especially because the very large multi-state healthcare system that I used to work for is a Catholic system, and they were probably the most gay-friendly place I have ever worked.  Started domestic partner benefits, recognition of same sex marriage, family leave, etc, long before any state or Federal requirements to do so.

Nothing at all wrong with that, they were probably offering better benefits packages to obtain the best employees they could- or more likely were using the word 'Catholic' to obtain non-profit status. IIRC, there was a group called 'Catholic Charities' or something similar in the news lately that wasn't affiliated with the church at all, but pushed leftist agenda. Either way your hospital system was offering a net positive.

Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
The majority of "Catholic" or "Christian" universities, hospitals etc are no more affiliated with the teachings of their nominal religion than these helmets are made out of bells.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
The bigger problem is that if a private 'Christian' University can get away with quashing ideas under the guise of multiculturalism through firings and sanctions, its not going to be long before public universities and other institutions follow suit.This is an issue of marxism to its core.

Non-public centers of higher tuition can quash ideas with impunity.  The public ones have to figure out how to work around that First Amendment thing.  (Not that they seem to have much trouble coming up with ideas of how to do that.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:39 AM »
I'm a bit surprized that F.I.R.E. http://www.thefire.org/campus-rights/ has not picked up on that yet.  They usually report/comment on stuff even when they are not going to be directly involved.

http://www.thefire.org/eyes-marquette-university-faculty-blogger-suspended/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth