Author Topic: Cuba  (Read 10156 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Cuba
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
What does the hive mind think about the decision to reestablish diplomatic relations with Cuba?

I'm sort of (well, pretty much) on the fence. I don't like the Communist regime at all, and even after all these years, our decision to reestablish diplomatic relations can (and undoubtedly will) be portrayed by the Castros as a win for them over the evil, imperialist United States. My brother-in-law in Sudamerica thinks it should not have happened until both Castros are under the ground, which he thinks will result in a movement back to democracy. I think I agree with that. Yet the Cuban-American population in North Havana (a.k.a. Miami) seems to be VERY unhappy about it.

On the other hand ... there's Russia, once again projecting its power and generally messing with other sovereign nations' sovereignty. Am I alone in thinking that this move by the U.S. could well be an attempt to blunt Russian influence in Cuba, with the aim of reducing the likelihood of a second Cuban missile crisis? I was in college when that went down. I can tell you that EVERYONE on our dorm floor was wide awake and glued to the radios and TVs while that was being played out. Whether you like or dislike JFK -- he didn't blink.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Cuba
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
What do I think???

Cigars and Tarpon fishing.
'effabuncha 90 y.o. commies, I'm going fishing.

7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, what has the embargo accomplished? On the other, what would "normalizing" relations achieve to steer Cuba away from communism? The US isn't the only country in the world. The entire time our embargo has been going on, Cuba has been interacting with a whole bunch of other "free" countries. Europeans visit Cuba in vast numbers. As do Canadians (and a bunch of Americans via Canada). Cuba has had plenty of exposure to democracy over the years, but hasn't changed. I just don't know how the US now interacting with Cuba in a "friendly" way will make a difference one way or the other.

I'm not even that thrilled about the cigars. The best cigar makers took their leaf and left in the 50's.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, what has the embargo accomplished? On the other, what would "normalizing" relations achieve to steer Cuba away from communism?
Further, why do we care what form of tyranny a country sports?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »
Well when they shoot down planes in international airspace it's problematic. Especially when planes take off from Florida

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »
Meh... Its long over due.
But the news here is obsessed with opening up relations to get a fugitive from NJ that killed a trooper back in 1978 or something like that.
I had an argument with a coworker, just because the embargo gets dropped does not mean there going to honor extradition. Because I'm sure there are some Cubans here they would want back.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
No usually the Cubans are tickled pink to send their murderers here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
Since we are already doing business with China, I am not sure them being communist is the best reason to continue the embargo.  there may be other good reasons.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
Opening up relations with Cuba benefits them  more then it does us.  There's nothing Cuba has that we want or need.  (All the good cigars come from elsewhere.  Communism and Castro has ruined the one major item other then sugar, that Cuba could export.)

And Castro can run around saying that it got the US to blink.  Obama once again reduces the power and prestige of the US by his unilateral action (without, again consulting or even briefing Congress).

IIRC, there is even a US Laws that deal with Cuba, none of which seem to matter to Obama.

Helms–Burton Act and the Cuban Democracy Act:  Neither of which the President can "change" and which has the following provision:
Several laws control the embargo. Among the most recent is the 1992 Cuban Democracy Act (codified in Chapter 69 of Title 22, U.S. Code). Section 6005 of the law outlines sanctions imposed against Cuba – the qualified blockade, prohibition on some financial transactions, and limitation on remittances.

But then there is Section 6007, the waiver provision. This tells us that, while it is true that it would require an act of Congress to repeal the restrictions on Cuba, no legislation is necessary to ignore the restrictions. The act empowers the president to do that on his own. All he needs to do is represent to Congress that the Cuban government

(1) has held free and fair elections conducted under internationally recognized observers;

(2) has permitted opposition parties ample time to organize and campaign for such elections, and has permitted full access to the media to all candidates in the elections;

(3) is showing respect for the basic civil liberties and human rights of the citizens of Cuba;

(4) is moving toward establishing a free market economic system; and

(5) has committed itself to constitutional change that would ensure regular free and fair elections that meet the requirements of paragraph (2).

From here: http://pjmedia.com/andrewmccarthy/2014/12/18/what-part-of-keeping-cuba-isolated-has-not-worked/

I think this sums up my feelings nicely:

https://pubsecrets.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/recognizing-cuba-what-do-we-get-out-of-the-deal/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:52:26 AM »
Opening up relations with Cuba benefits them  more then it does us.  There's nothing Cuba has that we want or need.  (All the good cigars come from elsewhere.  Communism and Castro has ruined the one major item other then sugar, that Cuba could export.)

And Castro can run around saying that it got the US to blink.  Obama once again reduces the power and prestige of the US by his unilateral action (without, again consulting or even briefing Congress).

IIRC, there is even a US Laws that deal with Cuba, none of which seem to matter to Obama.

Helms–Burton Act and the Cuban Democracy Act:  Neither of which the President can "change" and which has the following provision:
From here: http://pjmedia.com/andrewmccarthy/2014/12/18/what-part-of-keeping-cuba-isolated-has-not-worked/

I think this sums up my feelings nicely:

https://pubsecrets.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/recognizing-cuba-what-do-we-get-out-of-the-deal/

Whole bunch of 50's and 60's era cars.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:06 AM »
The embargo has reached the point of being...well...pointless.
50 years.  And there are plenty of countries with normal relations with Cuba. 
And the President's actions still face congressional oversight.  They can choose to not build an embassy.  They can choose to not lift or modify the embargo. 
But I think it's time.  Cuba is a mere 90 miles from us.  Let's try something different, because what we've been doing isn't working.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
I believe the whole point of Obama normalizing relations with Cuba was to give the US a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Anything that diminishes the US in the eyes of the world is a personal win to Obama, given how he actively dislikes this country.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
I believe the whole point of Obama normalizing relations with Cuba was to give the US a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  

That.
I'm sick of the meme that Cuba is poor and their citizens are hungry because the US is a big meanie who won't trade with them- the rest of the world can trade with them.
Cuba is a *expletive deleted*it heap because its run by communists.
The only thing that opening relations with Cuba will do will be to put another country onto our humanitarian welfare roles.
Its almost certain that there are plans to send billion$ to CUba on a yearly basis to bail their communist regime out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »
That.
I'm sick of the meme that Cuba is poor and their citizens are hungry because the US is a big meanie who won't trade with them- the rest of the world can trade with them.
Cuba is a *expletive deleted*it heap because its run by communists.
The only thing that opening relations with Cuba will do will be to put another country onto our humanitarian welfare roles.
Its almost certain that there are plans to send billion$ to CUba on a yearly basis to bail their communist regime out.

Oh I don't believe that they're poor because of us.  I just don't believe that the current state of affairs is accomplishing anything. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Oh I don't believe that they're poor because of us.  I just don't believe that the current state of affairs is accomplishing anything. 

What do you think of the idea that opening up relations with Cuba will only further enrich the ruling class and further entrench them in power? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Since Obama is both a Communist and a Muslim, I am waiting for him to try to normalize relations with Iran next.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
If Cuba was an untapped economic goldmine, Europe and Central/South American interests would have exploited it already. Any investment will enrich the regime and military. Politically, this is a deliberate poke in the eye for the U.S., a short-term distraction, and sacrifices any leverage the embargo could have applied to greater freedom for the Cuban people. As I said in the other thread, more demonstration of American weakness and concession with no reciprocal gain.

Also interesting to note that in the effusive praise of Pope Francis for his mediation, I haven't heard any mention of the clergy murdered, executed, imprisoned, or exiled as a result of the Glorious People's Revolution. =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
Also interesting to note that in the effusive praise of Pope Francis for his mediation, I haven't heard any mention of the clergy murdered, executed, imprisoned, or exiled as a result of the Glorious People's Revolution.

pope francis is cut from the same globalist cloth as obama. The Catholic Church is to Pope Francis as the the United States is to Obama- Western institutions that need to be marginalized and/or destroyed to meet their goals of bringing the populace down to the least common denominator around the world.
There are several Protestant/Evangelical 'christian' organizations who are going down the same path. The 'children' coming across the southern border are being aided and abetted by 'christian' organizations who are raking in millions (in some cases hundreds of millions) in federal aid to distribute and house these illegals around the country.

Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
But I think it's time.  Cuba is a mere 90 miles from us.  Let's try something different, because what we've been doing isn't working.

Define "working".
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:34:58 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »
Let's go dig up Meyer Lansky and his cronies, time for them to reopen Havana!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRkFMrNjTk

Now time to find a cigarette boat and the chick from the Drambuie commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir_klWXm8oo&feature=player_embedded

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:06:31 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »
Further, why do we care what form of tyranny a country sports?

Dictators wingshooting at Cuba and points south do have? =D
7-11 was a part time job.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
As others have pointed out the embargo is still in place. Obama is asking Congress to lift it, but the embargo is a law that he can't just EO away.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
As others have pointed out the embargo is still in place. Obama is asking Congress to lift it, but the embargo is a law that he can't just EO away.

You want to bet?  Why would he bother letting that stop him.

ETA: Correct spelling
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:51:07 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
You want to bet?  Why would he both letting that stop him.

I'm with you. This is the most lawless administration in my lifetime.

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »
Since Obama is both a Communist and a Muslim, I am waiting for him to try to normalize relations with Iran next.

Do you seriously think Barack Obama cares one whit about Islam, Christianity, or any other religion?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife