Author Topic: An assessment of rand paul  (Read 2449 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
An assessment of rand paul
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: An assessment of rand paul
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:59 PM »
Oh the horror! Not attracting the fringe figures!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »
That's 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
I'd still rather see him as POTUS than any of the RINO establishment-wing candidates, and the usual field of also-rans.

But otherwise, I'd definitely prefer one of the other more mainstream but "outsider" harder right candidates, Cruz, Allen West etc. or maybe Mike Pence for reasons of realpolitik. And I'd like to keep Scott Walker here in WI for a few more terms to better and more permanently un**** Wisconsin.

I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
You see that's practical. I just can't figure Paul's plan.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Rand Paul is damn near as big a loony as his papa. 

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »
I don't think he's looney. I like him and some of what he says. I would say that there is a family tradition of being detached from reality/practicality . I think the impression of looney is to some great degree a product of the camp followers he attracts. It's funny some of them are sane as can be but because they chose not to distance themselves from the fringe they end up painted with the same brush. Liberty dollars are a good example

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
I don't care if a politcritter attracts fringe figures.  I care if he only attracts fringe figures.  

It's axiomatic that you can't win a popular election with only fringe support.  And fringe supporters can have a sort of critical-mass effect if their proportions get too high.  They start drive off the support of reasonable and sensible folks, the kind of supporters you really need to win an election, leaving nothing but the kooks.

The author lady surely understands this.  She's actively trying to paint Rand's supporters as all fringe folks based on the particulars of one minor staffer.  

Rand needs a response.  Otherwise this article will only be the beginning, and before he knows it he's going to be pigeon-holed into the same sort of outlandish kook character that his father was.

So.  Your move, Rand.  Whatcha gonna do?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:51:18 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
This article is not the beginning, not hardly. And you are right he better have a response. Ignoring it on principle will not pay off.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Paul looks to be frittering away a good portion of his non-fringe support.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »
Paul looks to be frittering away a good portion of his non-fringe support.

He doesn't have non-fringe support.

He is at 6% in the polling. His father was doing better at this stage in 2012. This is sad, his strategy is pathetic.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »
Posing with al sharpton has to help

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »

IMO, he makes the same mistakes that almost any policritter is prone to. Forgetting that they're in "the bubble". They forget that the attitudes of their peers in office, staffers, the media, lobbyists, and all the other sorts of tile crawlers DO NOT come even close to representing the nominal average views of their constituency or "middle America" as they're so fond of repeating endlessly.

They still  have their core beliefs, but when they decide they're going to come out and be a "third way" kind of pragmatic guy, it takes a Leftward, or simply somewhat loony slant, like looking a bent image of a walking stick stuck into some clear water. The ends of the spectrum that get represented take on a kind of inverse bell-curve, with the FSA at the bottom, and the big money corporatist asset class at the top being heard the loudest. Only a very few groups like the NRA can cut through the signal to noise ratio.

My guess is that if Rand had some dedicated staffers who repeatedly popped the bubble, his positions and utterances would be markedly less moonbat.

The Left suffers from a bit less of a bubble, since their constituencies are more prone to align ideologically with them, but that's because so much of the Left's base itself resides in the larger more nebulous MSM/pop-culture bubble, or simply suffers from low-information emotive reasoning. Probably half or more of the Left's base could be talked out of their support if you can pin them down one-on-one with basic experiments and logical follow-through. Like the proverbial Libertarian/Right college professor who engages in 'wealth redistribution' by taxing and distributing out the A's in a class to average over everyone's grades so all the D and F students "pass" and then everyone can watch as the A students give up etc.

A very rare few, maybe the Ted Cruz types understand that the more they piss off the people who comprise "the bubble", and the more they make them cough and tug nervously at their collars with their utterances and policies, the better they're doing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:25:23 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

• friends
An assessment of rand paul
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
With some of Paul's supporters and even some staff it comes across that the looney is a feature not a bug

There is a lot to keep up with
His medical board cert is a good example

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:10 PM »
A very rare few, maybe the Ted Cruz types understand that the more they piss off the people who comprise "the bubble", and the more they make them cough and tug nervously at their collars with their utterances and policies, the better they're doing.

That's what made Reagan so great.  He really didn't care what Washington or the media thought, he connected directly with the vast majority of Americans.  Yes, he had to deal with a Democrat Congress, but he negoiated from a position of strength and pushed through quite a bit that most other presidents would not have been able to do.  He got Speaker of the House Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neil (D-Mass)to pass his tax cuts and military build-up to confront the USSR.   He made the Iranians release the Hostages before he could and would have authorized military action to free them.

Rand Paul comes across as a doctor, and his tone is droning. Ted Cruz does it pretty good, which is why the networks, almost as a rule, won't give him airtime.  Same with Allen West.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 02:47:20 AM »

It should be noted I still think he's the best candidate.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
Thankfully I believe otherwise, so I still have hope

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
Another article. The author is a putz but it was interesting to hear what folks he talked to had to say
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/daddy-issues-are-ron-pauls-hard-core-stands-a-problem-for-sons-presidential-bid/2015/01/25/e23b1cdc-a4a9-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html?hpid=z2

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
Should Rand win his administration will provide the clues of what is to come.  Obama was everything to everyone but the glassy-eyed stare ended when he began wholesale importation of radicals of many different stripes.  Same with Rand should he win.  Who is close to him now.  What stable did they come out of.  I put money supporters in a second tier prediction of what he will actually do.   
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
A blogger who has been hired to do social media work for Sen. Rand Paul’s (R., Ky.) likely presidential campaign is not a fan of ‘stupid armchair jingoes’ in the Republican Party, says Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) ‘will use anything to satisfy his blood lust,’ and wants Edward Snowden to receive a Nobel Peace prize, according to her Facebook page.” She also adds this brilliant turn of phrase: “Side note: A big f*** you to Lindsey Graham and John McCain.”

So what's the problem here again? That she believes it, or that she said it out loud?

If Jennifer Rubin (no bright bulb herself, I might add, based on previous performance) thinks those opinions are "outlandish..." well we can chalk that up as one more indication that the Party has completely lost touch with the base.

BTW...do you know how many times I have heard people cuss out Lindsay and John? Not including my own immediate friends and family?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
The fact you ask what's the problem might be indicative of the problem.  Your staff represents you. In some ways more than you do .
It's less problematic that you feel that way than it is apparently he and his staff do.
Similarly I was not impressed with him posing, and that word has at least 2 meanings in this context, al sharpton. I went wtf?
It's part of a series of events.
I was concerned about him continuing to claim " board certification" when in fact that was not the case. The more disturbed since he founded the alternative board that he was claiming and surely did know, or at least should know, that the board had been dissolved/shutdown.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
The fact you ask what's the problem might be indicative of the problem.  Your staff represents you. In some ways more than you do .
It's less problematic that you feel that way than it is apparently he and his staff do.
Similarly I was not impressed with him posing, and that word has at least 2 meanings in this context, al sharpton. I went wtf?
It's part of a series of events.
I was concerned about him continuing to claim " board certification" when in fact that was not the case. The more disturbed since he founded the alternative board that he was claiming and surely did know, or at least should know, that the board had been dissolved/shutdown.

Is he licensed in his state (and/or others)?  That's really all that matters.   Being board certified means you sent $$$ to some board and they sent you a fancy certificate to hang on the wall next to your diplomas and can use it in your advertising/marketing.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
If you publicly announce you are board certified it behooves you to actually be board certified. The more so if you and some buds created the board you claim as a protest against the board most folks commonly think of.  It's either not honest or incompetent.  Neither good

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 07:47:37 AM »
Some background on that "board certification" perhaps no big deal to the faithful but he needs votes from the great unwashed as well

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/11/08/rand-paul-has-another-problem/