Author Topic: Buying my first house& advice and help welcomed.  (Read 3092 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Buying my first house& advice and help welcomed.
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:09:17 PM »
Greetings yall! My fiancée and I are in the process of buying our first house!  And the plus side is it will be a new 2 story house. So any advice or tips would be helpful.

We are getting a KB home in Central Texas and we are becoming a bit overwhelmed by it all.  (In case anyone is wondering by the time the house is built we will be newlywed.)  The problem is that we are full of questions and no one in both of our respective families has ever bought a brand new house, so I am hoping that yall will be able to lend advice.

First off&
  I.) Regarding an Inspector.  Is the hiring an inspector for the build process worth while.  
 If this is the case:
a.) When do you have an inspector come out and do his thing?  Before drywall but after the framing is complete?
b.) How does a person go about getting a good inspector? I am not one of those people who likes to open yellow pages and pick a name that sounds good&. But these are areas that are beyond my knowledge& I have a good eye and can tell if something is obviously wrong, but I will not be able to tell enough only obvious sore spots.
c.) What is a resonable cost for an inspector.

Second&
  I.)For those whom have bought a new house- What are the chances of the builders allowing the buyer of running low voltage wiring?  
The reason I ask is because I want to ATLEAST run some in wall speaker wire downstairs.  Personally I hate having 3 lengths of speaker wire running from one end of the living room to another, whether it is across the ceiling or along floorboards that just is not very neat and pretty.
My dream would be a structured wiring panel in a closet with conduit run from downstairs to upstairs& so I can easily add wire for future enhancements...
  II.)How do you increase the chances of the contractors/builders allowing you to run some wire or conduit?  Should I have the fiancée bake cookies, etc. (for bribes)?

Third&
  I have so many questions I have forgotten most of them at this current time&

Last thing of all I swear this mortgage people want everything!  Heck they made my fiancée bring a copy of her diploma so they could copy it!!   I am expecting them to ask for a DNA sample next.  But thats another story...

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 12:48:41 AM »
Inspector- on a new house, I would say a qualified no.
The house has to pass inspection to make sure everything is to code before an occupancy permit can be issued.
However, an inspector can point out where a builder cut corners. We were kind of screwed for not hiring an inspector when we bought our newly constructed house. The city inspector's office had slackened building standards in order to push through a boom of housing going up in my town so the houses could sell quickly and city could collect taxes. 2 years later, I found questionable construction in my house- the builder had laid the floor joists directly on top of the foundation without a treated sill plate and there were gaps above the foundation that I could see sunlight through. I called the inspector and asked what was up with that, and he told me that they had allowed what was called a 'rim joist' style of construction and they had recently changed the city code to not allow it any more. Technically, the builder followed universal building code and city building code, but still did shoddy work and we have no recourse for it if the floor joists rot a few years down the road.

If you are the person who likes a 'piece of mind' the 300-400 spent on an inspector probably isn't the worst money you'll spend, and will be a drop in the bucket in costs when you look at the big picture. There are other things that come in to play in certain regions, such as soil drainage and radon, which an inspector can save you a lot of money down the road. Oh, yeah, my house has borderline high radon, I didn't bother to have it tested when I bought the house, and now if I ever sell it, I'll have to spend $2000 or more to have the problem fixed Sad

If you were to buy an existing structure, I would say hiring inspector is a 100% good thing.

Wiring- there's no reason why your electrician couldn't run low voltage wiring. Its best to get cable, telephone, speaker wire, etc put in before the wall frames are covered. Its a lot easier to do it that way and a lot less messy.

How do you increase the chances of the contractors/builders allowing you to run some wire or conduit?  Should I have the fiancée bake cookies, etc. (for bribes)?
just have to pull out your checkbook. pay for the materials and labor.

Mortgage people will give you a rectal exam with a 4" periscope if it were legal. Get your mortgage all line up and be pre-approved before trying to buya house.

I've had a realtor try to slide one by me once also. After filling out the 20 pages of paper work for bidding on a house, she handed me a piece of paper to fill out asking for name, birthdate, and SS numbers of my wife and I. The paper had no carbon copies. I filled it out sans SS numbers. The lady said she needed the numbers, I said no you don't. She said yes she did. I stared her down and said no you don't, and asked what they would be used for. She blushed and said they were for marketing purposes and dropped the subject.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 03:19:21 AM »
Never bought a new construction but I have a friend that just did and my sister-in-law and her husband are going through it right now.  One piece of advice--get it the way you want it now.  Going back and adding/fixing stuff after the house is built will cost at least twice as much if not more.  Stuff like that wiring, do it now.  You'll pay a lot less for it.  And yes, run conduit for it because you never know when you'll have to replace those wires.

Greg

client32

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 04:07:44 AM »
How do you increase the chances of the contractors/builders allowing you to run some wire or conduit?  Should I have the fiancée bake cookies, etc. (for bribes)?
I don't know of any problem with that.  Just tell the head guy what you want to do, and arrange for a good time.  This is if you are wanting to string the cable across yourself.  I have known a couple of people that ran network cable in a similar scenario.  They were both ran the cable in the evening to stay out of everyone's way.  

I 2nd TarpleyG's advice too.  They are now building the house for you, make sure it is exactly how you want it.  Even the details.  Phone jacks, electric outlets and all.  Make sure they are where you want them and enough.  Adn make sure you get this stuff done upfront.  You don't want to know what it can cost to add an electrical outlet.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:08:42 AM »
I would say an absolute YES on an inspector for a new home, who will be willing to inspect at several times during the construction process.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »
I.) Regarding an Inspector.  Is the hiring an inspector for the build process worth while.  
If this is the case:
a.) When do you have an inspector come out and do his thing?  Before drywall but after the framing is complete?
b.) How does a person go about getting a good inspector? I am not one of those people who likes to open yellow pages and pick a name that sounds good&. But these are areas that are beyond my knowledge& I have a good eye and can tell if something is obviously wrong, but I will not be able to tell enough only obvious sore spots.
c.) What is a resonable cost for an inspector.
As was stated in a prior post, there are guidelines for new construction. Building permits are a different animal. If you are within city limits there will probably be some kind of local permit required for construction, and a city inspector will okay the construction in phases before the occupancy certificate is issued. If you are outside the city limits most counties do not not have any type of permitting for construction, and it will be up to you to make sure the builder is following basic building codes.

If that is the case, I would hire and architect or engineer to come out every so often and take a look. See if there is someone in your area who drafts home plans on the side and see if you can hire them to come out after each phase and give you a brief report (framing, electrical and plumbing, interior walls, finish-out). If all they have to do is walk around and write you a brief report, you might be able to get them to commit to $400-$500 total. A little more than an inspector, but well worth it.

I.)For those whom have bought a new house- What are the chances of the builders allowing the buyer of running low voltage wiring?  
The reason I ask is because I want to ATLEAST run some in wall speaker wire downstairs.  Personally I hate having 3 lengths of speaker wire running from one end of the living room to another, whether it is across the ceiling or along floorboards that just is not very neat and pretty.
My dream would be a structured wiring panel in a closet with conduit run from downstairs to upstairs& so I can easily add wire for future enhancements...
  II.)How do you increase the chances of the contractors/builders allowing you to run some wire or conduit?  Should I have the fiancée bake cookies, etc. (for bribes)?
Since low-voltage wiring is not usually a code or engineering issue, most builders have no problem with letting you run your own. Just ask if there is a time when you could go in a do it without getting in the way of the regular crews. Cookies sure couldn't hurt.

Last thing of all I swear this mortgage people want everything!  Heck they made my fiancée bring a copy of her diploma so they could copy it!!   I am expecting them to ask for a DNA sample next.  But thats another story...
Diploma? Which mortgage company are you using? Most mortgage companies require the basics - 3 months of paycheck stubs, bank statements, and savings account statements. They will also require your last two years' tax returns, and will pull a credit report. Unless you are going with some type of non-traditional loan, this is usually it unless there is a lack of credit history or a question about the origin of the down payment money. In that case the lender may very well ask for letters of verification or some such to cover everything.

By the way, please tell me you are going with a local lender and not and internet lender. If you are with an internet lender, DUMP THEM RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW!! Internet lenders are bad news. Period. Lending criteria for typical mortgages are fairly universal. If one lender can do it they all can. Find someone local to help you.

Finally, keep on top of things but don't be a pest. Go inspect the construction regularly and get to know the crew foremand and a couple of the lead personnel, but don't hang around all the time trying to chit-chat. It doesn't hurt if you show up with juice and donuts every so often. Get the crews on your side and they will be more apt to do everything they can for you. If you see problems make a list. Don't just call the builder out of the blue screaming and ranting about something. Schedule a time to meet him on site and point out the concern, giving him a copy of your concern list.

You can be firm while still being polite and businesslike. Jumping up and down and threatening lawsuits over something like a loose toilet will be met with deafening indifference. Always document your communication - jot down notes while you are talking to the builder and make extra notes afterward. That way you have a leg to stand on if something isn't corrected to your satisfaction.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »
Unfortunately, building inspectors often miss many things, or even ignore things that aren't particularly germane to their inspection, but which are not good building practices. A homeowner, unversed in home construction, may also not recognize potential problems.

And I'll tell you, given what I'm finding in my townhouse as I renovate, I'm really thinking that the county code inspector who oversaw my place was either incompetent or on the take.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 08:44:52 AM »
Do some research about KB homes. I've read a number of not-very-good things about them. A quick google search turns up kbhomesucks.com, kbhomestink.org and links to hadd.com, "Homeowners Agianst Deficient Dwellings". Leads one to wonder if they may have some quality problems.

client32

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 09:33:35 AM »
I'm really thinking that the county code inspector who oversaw my place was either incompetent or on the take.
He/she was probably too busy harrassing the guys that did a good job at building.  I know a few inspectors that only had the job because someone else needed to get rid of them.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:15:43 AM »
"He/she was probably too busy harrassing the guys that did a good job at building."

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

Phew. Stop it, you're killing me!

I recently gutted the master bath in my home.

Here are just a few of the things that I found that NEVER should have seen the light of day, and which certainly do NOT come even remotely close to qualifying as "guys that did a good job at building."

1. A span of nearly 40 inches behind the shower with no studs. Did I mention that this is a load bearing wall, too?

2. An electrical pigtail concealed inside the walls, NOT, as per code, contained in a box. Did I mention it was in the SAME cavity as the plumbing? HOT water, anyone?

3. No box set power either to the light bar or the ceiling fan. They were simply pigtailed into the wall and ceiling. (That's THREE open pigtail connections, the mark of fine home building).

4. The tub base was shimmed on one side with what I would SWEAR was the waxed cardboard base of the kind that Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandykakes used to come on when they were packaged in waxed paper sleeves.

5. The toilet was shimmed with a steel washer because the floor wasn't level.

6. Cold water pipes leading supplying the shower. Two sections of pipe were connected, not with the code mandated sleeve connector, but by simply butting the pipes together and soldering them in situ. The "joint" cracked as I was dismantling the old shower valves. I'm quite terrified that there are other, similar "joints" concealed in the walls that are water bombs waiting to happen.

7. The wall paper was put on over raw dry wall. NO wallboard sizing.

Those are just a FEW of the problems that these so called builders, two brothers and two partners, built into A SINGLE 6X10 BATHROOM!

Drunken chimpanzees with stage three AIDS infections could have done a better job of building my home! angry

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 10:17:18 AM »
brimic -  
The Reason I want to run some myself is the money issue. My fiancée recently graduated from college and has a good job; I am still in college and going to graduate in 2 more semesters (hopefully.)  So getting out the checkbook is not a valid option.  I wish it was though...because man it will feel weird for my wife to support me!

TarpleyG & client32 -
I am really only worried about electrical outlets downstairs.. I can run extras upstairs (where attic space is available for me to crawl around in... but defiantly downstairs we choose a couple extra plugs because I am not about to worry about that hassle! And thats what I hope to do.. run network wire and cable and phone wire to a central location... leaving conduit for future things like security system (if fiancee will allow that)  or Whole house Audio.. (pauses to Drool) sorry forgot where i was....

Brad Johnson -
Its all within city limits so no need for an architect according to your advice (thank God because that sounds expensive...)

Also its KB Mortgage (I know I know but they are giving us 6 grand to apply for closing costs and down payment for using them.. and offering us a standard percentage rating...so why not.)  As I told brimic my fiancée recently graduated from college and has a good job; I am still in college and going to graduate in 2 more semesters (hopefully.)  I think its more the Lady handling the loan is not the uh sharpest tool in the shed?  Thinks like she wants me to get proof that my college loans won't go into repayment for 6 more months at least... Do you know how hard it is to get proof of a commonly known thing (since all college federal loans don't go into repayment until 6 months after you graduate)  Also we had to write letters explaining why things are attached to our credit (outstanding medical bills for both of us...)

cfabe -
  Yeah I have seen those sites and well honestly some of them are funny as can be.. if you read the KB Homes Suck one.. people were complaining about things like:
They came and did some work and had to repaint and it doesn't match... Well if you have lived in a house for a year the paint isn't the same color as when it was first put on it does change a bit.  OR
They patched my driveway and the new concrete doesn't match.   I didn't see ALOT that created big red flags off of those sites.  I understand certain sub-divisions in certain areas have problems.. but with as MANY houses as these people sale (heck in Texas ALONE)  the amount of complaints is pretty small..

Mike Irwin -

"Drunken chimpanzees with stage three AIDS infections could have done a better job of building my home!"

Next time hire them but make sure that they also are on narcotics.. They can also do it cheaper and faster!
Seriously thats screwed thats what I am worried could happen I know enough to chatch SOME of that.. but its so much I might miss things.. thats why the inspector was an idea...

EVERYONE-  
   THANKS SO MUCH for all the replies.  Its been a big help.  I will continue to take peoples advice into consideration!   But be sure to watch out for the next installments once construction begins (crosses fingers 2-3 more weeks!!!)  
Such future installments may include Structured Wiring is it for me? What size conduit would be best..
 OR
Does this Light fixture match this one because the future wife absolutely hates this huge, gorgeous, shiny chrome, modern style beauty which is the only one I like...
 OR
Easy tips for the best landscape...
POSSIBLY
It turns out that the Master bedroom has a nice 2 foot by 3 spot where the wall creates a niche..that is hollow.. How to best install a hidden gun safe!  (we can only hope this is the case. but then again that may need to go in THR)  

Edited for Grammar - like you can tell i know its bad..  And to respond to Mike
and again to fix spelling... hehe

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »
"Edited for Grammer..."

Better edit for spelling, too! cheesy cheesy cheesy

"Next time hire them but make sure that they also are on narcotics..."

Apparently in the DC/Baltimore area PCP was, or still is, very popular with roofers.

My friend, a cop, said that when he was on the streets, especially along the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, they were routinely finding liquid PCP on roofers that they pulled over.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 01:10:53 PM »
Brad Johnson -

Also its KB Mortgage (I know I know but they are giving us 6 grand to apply for closing costs and down payment for using them.. and offering us a standard percentage rating...so why not.)  As I told brimic my fiancée recently graduated from college and has a good job; I am still in college and going to graduate in 2 more semesters (hopefully.)  I think its more the Lady handling the loan is not the uh sharpest tool in the shed?  Thinks like she wants me to get proof that my college loans won't go into repayment for 6 more months at least... Do you know how hard it is to get proof of a commonly known thing (since all college federal loans don't go into repayment until 6 months after you graduate)  Also we had to write letters explaining why things are attached to our credit (outstanding medical bills for both of us...)
Run away. FAST!! They are self-financing a home to you through their own mortgage company. Find a local lender OUTSIDE the scope of the builder. And that 6 grand in closing and down payment they are giving you is a joke. That money comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is your payments over 30 years. In other words, you are financing your closing costs for 30 years. Plus, if you have to sell within the next 3-4 years, there is a very real probability that you will not have enough equity from market appreciation to cover the cost of selling - in other words, you get to write a big, fat check at the closing table to cover the difference. Oh, and this easy money loan from KB probably comes with all kinds of strings attached - like a horrendous pre-payment penalty should you decide to sell or refininance within 1 or 2 years and an interest rate that would choke an elephant.

You are not doing yourself a favor. You are getting suckered in by "easy money" and "we'll pay your closing costs". What you are really doing is getting yourself into an upside down situation on a big freakin' house loan on shaky financial ground with no safety net if something blows up in the next couple of years. Think of it this way - it's all the cons of renting combined with all the liabilites of ownership. The worst of both worlds. whoopee...

To put it bluntly you don't need to be buying a home right now. Not with two semesters of college left and no job lined up. Find a modest rental that allows you enough at the end of the month to start putting away money for closing costs. Get with a local lender and get started fixing your credit the right way. Then, in a year or 18 months, you can buy a house with a traditional mortgage and actually be into the home without being in over your head. You will have two incomes and your student loans will be consolidated. Keep your nose clean on the rest of your credit and don't buy a bunch of crap on the "easy payment" plans (like CARS!! and BIG SCREEN TVs!!).

I see too many people jump on the bandwagon because of easy money and "paid closing costs". Please trust me, it's not a benefit. It's a big, huge iron noose around your neck that will drag you right to the bottom if you make so much as a single misstep. Don't do it. Take some time, get things right, and then get into your new home when you are in much better shape.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
....house loan on shaky financial ground with no safety net if something blows up in the next couple of years. Think of it this way - it's all the cons of renting combined with all the liabilites of ownership. The worst of both worlds. whoopee...

To put it bluntly you don't need to be buying a home right now. Not with two semesters of college left and no job lined up...
Its a FHA loan.  *I* may be on shaky ground, but its not that bad.  Currently I make $10 an hour and *shiver* heaven forbid I could become a manager for the company I work for (wal-mart) if I had the desire thats 30,000 so i have options.  My fiancée is currently making $40,000 a year as a teacher- Thats where the difference is. I am broke shes got the money.  Looking over all the paperwork I don't see where we are getting suckered.  I expect the company to sell my mortgage immediately after I sign it as it is.  We are being frugal with our purchase; its a less than a $100,000 house (For Central Texas thats a good price).  I have figured out our payments at the current tax rate for Comal County and City of New  Braunfels the payment will be $858 that is with a 6.25 percent interest rate (we were quoted 6.0%  90 days before close we can lock the rate in so that should be a month from now give or take a week or two. I hope interest rates don't skyrocket by then!)  Currently we pay $785 a month rent in our Duplex.  Housing is expensive in this area.  

My credit problems are because of 2 emergency room visits that I was over charged and one I was double billed on.  I refuse to pay anymore I had insurance both times and getting 4 stitches in a finger (that was one visit and all they did during that visit) should NOT Have cost me (out of my pocket) over $1000 bucks.

I think this 6 grand that KB is coming up with is because they want to complete this sub-division (our house is going to be one of the last ones built.. heck they only have 3 to 5 lots open left in this subdivision as of yesterday.  We could have used the money for anything closing cost down-payment or "upgrades" etc. etc.  Looking over what they do is take 6 grand off the closing price.. narrow the profit margin a little bit from what i can figure out.   My Real estate agent has looked over all of the paper work and seen no red-flags my figures add up to what the expected payment they gave me was.   (Real-estate agent is the mother of one of my close friends so she will tell me whats up. Hell, at first she was hinting at giving us a cut at her commission but we didnt feel it was right so didnt answer (shes not getting that much on the house as it is and we know she could always use it. Its less than 2 grand she is getting.) I know she is serious about what is best for us.

If you see a flaw in my logic please let me know.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 01:49:17 PM »
Oh and cars and big screens etc...  No need my car may be a POS but when I graduate I will get my moms car as a gift. (Chrysler 300m I am drooling just thinking about it... Man I love when the Oil Field is doing good my parents become generous)  and we will pay off my fiancées car once I get a job (first thing already discussed every cent from one pay check goes to paying off excess debt.  Our credit cards are only for us to establish better credit.  So they have no balances that we cant pay off instantly and we pay to zero at the end of the month.)    

I know its odd but we aren't your typical young couple.  For being 23 years old we have little to no debt (legitimate!)  She has her car and college loans I have college loans...

Sorry didnt mean to rant I just thought a bit of background may help.  I appreciate the concern though.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 02:36:21 PM »
Have you tried to get a mortgage from a normal lender? If you're going with this builder financing thing becuase nobody else will give you a loan, there might be a reason nobody else will.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 02:38:09 PM »
Find an inspector who is ASHI-certified.

Cost us a couple of hundred bucks. Well worth it.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »
Quote from: cfabe
Have you tried to get a mortgage from a normal lender? If you're going with this builder financing thing becuase nobody else will give you a loan, there might be a reason nobody else will.
We qualify for other mortgages. Each of our credit scores is in the high 600 just under 700 the only reason they are not higher is lack of established credit history

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »
My Real estate agent has looked over all of the paper work and seen no red-flags my figures add up to what the expected payment they gave me was.   (Real-estate agent is the mother of one of my close friends so she will tell me whats up. Hell, at first she was hinting at giving us a cut at her commission but we didnt feel it was right so didnt answer (shes not getting that much on the house as it is and we know she could always use it. Its less than 2 grand she is getting.) I know she is serious about what is best for us.
Sounds like you've pretty well got all the bases covered. If KB is acting as an originator for a garden variety FHA insured loan then everything is probably okay in that department.

One last piece of advice. No matter what else happens, keep your mortgage payments current. If you ever want to move up, out, or over, you can have some hickeys on your credit but still get another mortgage as long as you have a clean mortgage payment history.

Also, sorry to hear about the hospital charges, but at a grand you got off light. I had an ER visit in January that's cost me almost $3000 out of pocket. So far. Count yourself lucky and pay it or it will haunt you forever. Rightous indignation over the charges may make you feel better, but it won't change the fact that you made the choice to visit the ER and make use of their services. Remember it next time you only need a coupla stitches. That's what the neighborhood clinic is for. Better yet, if the cut is only small enough to require four stitches and hasn't nicked a vein or artery, chances are you don't need a Dr visit anyway. Go buy a tube of Neosporin and some butterfly bandaids. Total cost is about $5 and the end result is the same.

Good luck on your house. Keep us posted.

Brad
-HankB