Author Topic: The USA is doomed  (Read 1420 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The USA is doomed
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »
Apparently, schools aren't teaching even basic Civics any more.

There are a couple of separate threads running over on The Firing Line about the proposed ban on M855 ammo for the AR-15. A young member (he was 18 when he first showed up, I believe, so he's now probably 19 or maybe 20) posted that he wrote to both of his senators and "both" of his representatives.

:facepalm:  [ar15]  :old:

I learned the makeup of Congress in seventh grade Social Studies class.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The USA is doomed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »
I don't recall whether any states have only 2 Representatives. Maybe he's from a very lightly-populated state?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Apparently, schools aren't teaching even basic Civics any more.

There are a couple of separate threads running over on The Firing Line about the proposed ban on M855 ammo for the AR-15. A young member (he was 18 when he first showed up, I believe, so he's now probably 19 or maybe 20) posted that he wrote to both of his senators and "both" of his representatives.

:facepalm:  [ar15]  :old:

I learned the makeup of Congress in seventh grade Social Studies class.
They haven't, not in years. I went to school in NJ and learned only the very basics, 90% was learned from other sources. My wife is a couple years younger than I am and was schooled in SC , she has only the scantest idea how our government is supposed to work.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
I don't recall whether any states have only 2 Representatives. Maybe he's from a very lightly-populated state?

Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
Could be any of these states.
Hawaii    
Idaho
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
Doesn't matter if a state has one, two, ten or twenty representatives -- each of us only has ONE. Senators serve the entire state; representatives serve only their district, and you can't live in multiple districts. So his state may have two or more representatives, but HE only has one.

All of you get FAIL for today's lesson in Civics 101.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »

You only have one Representative, determined by which district you live in.

ETA: Hawkmoon beat me to it.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
Um, yeah, there's no way he was talking about both representatives from his state.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:44 AM »
An ignorant population is far easier to rule than an educated citizenry.

I saw that on the Internet so it must be true.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »
Have any of you considered that it is not a failure of the teahing of civics but rather a wonderful example of the changes that are taking place in grammar and syntax?

Used to be [bet you still don't see what I did there] there were some rules about words and how to string them together to create certain meanings, and how to differentiate between different meanings by the way and order words were used.  But lately it seems to be a sea change towards a free-for-all where the order of words has no significance as to what is modifying what.

I'm not advocating that we emulate the French and establish a Committee for the Purity of the Language.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:28 AM »
I think it's a failure in teaching civics.

Example: A friend's daughter was in middle school, and was being taught about the Constitution and the Bill or Rights.

The BoR material the teacher passed out called out the important Amendments, and explicitly stated that some didn't matter any more.

Guess which group the 2nd was in . . .

(Several parents had a . . . spirited . . . discussion with the teacher and principal.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »
Doesn't matter if a state has one, two, ten or twenty representatives -- each of us only has ONE. Senators serve the entire state; representatives serve only their district, and you can't live in multiple districts. So his state may have two or more representatives, but HE only has one.

All of you get FAIL for today's lesson in Civics 101.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

WHAT HE SAID!

*SIGH!*

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
My town is split between two Congressional Districts.  I'm in the 6th and the 14th is only 3 blocks to the west of me.  I write to BOTH Representatives, simply because unless they look (closely) at a map, I'm guessing that they (and their aides) think I'm a constituent.  Cheating/Honest?  Probably not, but I figure I'm letting "both" my Reps know where I stand on various issues.

:old: :old: :old:

:P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
My town is split between two Congressional Districts.  I'm in the 6th and the 14th is only 3 blocks to the west of me.  I write to BOTH Representatives, simply because unless they look (closely) at a map, I'm guessing that they (and their aides) think I'm a constituent.  Cheating/Honest?  Probably not, but I figure I'm letting "both" my Reps know where I stand on various issues.

:old: :old: :old:

:P :P :P

What if his house sits on a congressional border?  Then he could write both his reps.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
They haven't, not in years. I went to school in NJ and learned only the very basics, 90% was learned from other sources. My wife is a couple years younger than I am and was schooled in SC , she has only the scantest idea how our government is supposed to work.

Just like the President and most of Congress.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »

Some college students I know also write to two; the one for their home address and the one for the college's location.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everything drops to zero.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
What if his house sits on a congressional border?  Then he could write both his reps.

I used to do that when I was in the military - write the representatives of the state where I was a citizen, as well as the representatives of the state I was stationed in.

My attitude is that it's very unlikely to hurt, and could help.