Author Topic: Clinton Used Personal Email as SECSTATE  (Read 6603 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Clinton Used Personal Email as SECSTATE
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »
Wow. If the evidence is correct, not just used a personal email address, but used it exclusively. The claim is she didn't even have an assigned official email account. I'm not sure how that's even possible. I'm sure there was  some kind of "SECSTATE" account that some aide had to send the normal dept-wide emails, but it appears there was never a hillary.clinton@state.gov account for peer to peer stuff. All correspondence appears to have been conducted on her freakin' AOL or whatever account.

How that went unnoticed her entire term is beyond me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/us/politics/hillary-clintons-use-of-private-email-at-state-department-raises-flags.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Clinton Used Personal Email as SECSTATE
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:12 AM »
At this point what difference does it make?

It's obvious that your criticism of the soon to be first (second? I'm not really sure about Barry )woman president stems from your deep seated hatred of women.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »

It's obvious that your criticism of the soon to be first (second? I'm not really sure about Barry )woman president stems from your deep seated hatred of women.
It's alright, I see the writing on the wall. Elizabeth Warren will be our next president.

It's great! I mean, we've already seen how wonderful it works out when you elect a first-term Senator because of the demographic they represent whose only other experience is sitting on a faculty somewhere works out!

Oh well. At least we'll have the first American Indian president, too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
I have no problem with electing a female president. I mean, there are binders full of qualified women out there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
I'm less concerned with how this plays into her potential presidential run and more concerned about the potential for deception that this practice allows. It now seems Hagel also used a personal email address, and that the practice goes back to the Bush administration, and possibly further. There are clear rules for ALL fed employees, and that includes those at the top, regarding only using gov email and gov servers for all their correspondence.

The difference with the Clinton revelation (and it may end up applying to others) is that instead of using a personal email in addition to her gov email (which has come up before, with other officials), she used it exclusively for her peer to peer communications.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
So why would a government official do this?  Is it to make some sort of claim that your personal email is exempt from disclosure requirements?  Is it to bypass having your email archived for posterity? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »
So why would a government official do this?  Is it to make some sort of claim that your personal email is exempt from disclosure requirements?  Is it to bypass having your email archived for posterity? 

Pretty much it's an attempt to dodge FOIA and record keeping requirements and such. At worst, even if she is ordered to provide emails, it can be used to stall for time and/or a way to conveniently "lose" emails...i.e., "I didn't know they were subject to records keeping requirements since it was a private email account!"

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:19:32 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
IMO, this is important, but it still pails in comparrison to Benghazi and probably half a dozen other things she has done over the years. 

I also assume that her staff and friends deliberately allowed this to come out now for one reason or another.  It is relatively minor, but could be bigger if brought out during the election.  The way it is with Democrats, they could be on video and audio committing cold blooded murder and they would still say it was "old news" and "mudslinging" later during the election and the network news goons would still back her up on it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

<PC>"Effeminate American"</PC>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
So you don't end up like Lois Lerner, having to lie to the nation that your hard drive crashed and you don't have backups of your email.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
Our oligarchs and bureaucrats from both sides of the aisle are lawless.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

Primarily to bypass retention mechanisms.
Maybe as a legal dodge, assuming the other party doesn't know of its existence.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
Could just be simple arrogance. "Screw you guys, I'm not going to change email addresses and clients because I don't want to.  I'm Special."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
Could just be simple arrogance. "Screw you guys, I'm not going to change email addresses and clients because I don't want to.  I'm Special."

Not when the email domain was created the same day as her confirmation hearings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/02/hacked-emails-indicate-that-hillary-clinton-used-a-domain-registered-the-day-of-her-senate-hearings/

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
oh...  reading is apparently fundamental.

I don't think that was in the original link. I was just providing additional information that negated your idea. Didn't mean to sound accusatory.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
This came out in the course of the Benghazi hearings, in that Sec. Clinton's e-mails were subpeona'd and State's reply was "Ain't got none, she dun used her own e-mail".  Which flies in the face of the Records Act and the "Most Transparent Administration Ever, Really.  You don't need to see that."

So as someone pointed out, she can slow walk the discovery process.   I don't think she can do 18+ months of it, but the longer she delays the worse it (should) be for her.  Six months from now no one will remember.

The issue with the use of non-government e-mails in Bush administration was the use of @Republicans.org e-mails.  Turns out that some administration officials did use their "R.org" address to get around the Hatch act (No doing Political work on .gov time/computers).   IIRC, it was ruled proper and that is the way it is and was supposed to be done.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Oh well. At least we'll have the first American Indian president, too.

I thought that Native American claim (that she claims she never claimed -- her CV notwithstanding) had been shown to be untrue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
I thought that Native American claim (that she claims she never claimed -- her CV notwithstanding) had been shown to be untrue.

When the heck did that ever slow down a politician. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Clinton Used Personal Email as SECSTATE
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 11:12:22 PM »

http://youtu.be/KTwnwbG9YLE

You are correct.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
I can't tell for sure from the way the article is written, but it appears she was actually running her physical email servers in her home. That's a level of sophistication well above what the other officials were doing. The part about her backing Google in its China hacking accusations after she had started using them for her backups was perhaps just coincidental, but interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/04/hillary-clinton-email-server-traced-to-internet-service-registered-to-ny-home/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:02:42 AM by Ben »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »
Hillary isn't the first in this administration. From an article on Townhall.com:

This isn't the first time the Obama administration has been caught evading federal records laws by using personal email, which ultimately allows officials to escape scrutiny under the Freedom of Information Act and Congressional investigation. During Operation Fast and Furious, former Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer got caught fowarding and editing official information about the scandal to his personal email account. Former Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano claimed she didn't have an email account. IRS officials caught up in the targeting of conservatives, including Lois Lerner, used a personal email account to conduct official government business. Former DOJ Civil Rights attorney and current Labor Secretary Tom Perez used his personal email account during his time at DOJ for official business. Just yesterday, a federal judge ruled the EPA lied about transparency in response to FOIA requests, and in the past, EPA officials have been caught violating federal records laws by using personal email to conduct government business.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »

so the claim will go down the memory hole.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
I can't tell for sure from the way the article is written, but it appears she was actually running her physical email servers in her home. That's a level of sophistication well above what the other officials were doing. The part about her backing Google in its China hacking accusations after she had started using them for her backups was perhaps just coincidental, but interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/04/hillary-clinton-email-server-traced-to-internet-service-registered-to-ny-home/

Oh, interesting.

She had geek help, obviously.  Mail servers aren't simple.  (Though I'm sure there are canned appliances someone could have set up.)  There are barriers to a normal Joe Schmoe running a mail server from his house.  Does she have a static IP at her house?  Who's her ISP?  Relaying through someone?  Who?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!