Author Topic: Yay minimum wage!  (Read 9055 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Yay minimum wage!
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »
Problem with that is you assume businesses will adjust non-minimum wage workers pay up the same amount minimum wage was bumped. I'd bet good money most workers would be lucky to see half as much.

Unless its a union....which is why, even though their members are extraordinarily unlikely to make the minimum wage, their contract wages can be indexed to it, so this is a huge windfall for them...and why they are the ones pushing it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
A lot of companies survey for the prevailing wage in an area in order to set their pay scales, not just union companies.

Believe me, I'm with you guys when it comes to wanting to the system fixed and market forces be the primary determining factor rather than bureaucrats.

I don't see it happening though, who is going to straighten things out? The Republicans?

Meanwhile the middle class on down are seeing their buying power shrink year to year while the government class and the upper class keep up or make ground against real inflation.

So the line in the sand is the poor getting a bigger piece of the pie? The banksters, 6 figure corporate guys and bureaucrats can all suck the system dry but the greedy dirty hoi polloi better be happy they even have a job, lol.   

If there is no going back to sanity then lets take it to its logical extreme and let the system collapse from its own absurdity.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
A lot of companies survey for the prevailing wage in an area in order to set their pay scales, not just union companies.

Believe me, I'm with you guys when it comes to wanting to the system fixed and market forces be the primary determining factor rather than bureaucrats.

I don't see it happening though, who is going to straighten things out? The Republicans?

Meanwhile the middle class on down are seeing their buying power shrink year to year while the government class and the upper class keep up or make ground against real inflation.

So the line in the sand is the poor getting a bigger piece of the pie? The banksters, 6 figure corporate guys and bureaucrats can all suck the system dry but the greedy dirty hoi polloi better be happy they even have a job, lol.   

If there is no going back to sanity then lets take it to its logical extreme and let the system collapse from its own absurdity.

Problem is that your analysis is flawed. A higher minim wage is another regulation that favors megalocorp and is another hurdle placed in front of small business. The poor might temporarily get a bigger sluce if the pie (until inflation adjusts it), but that bigger slice of pie comes out of the middle class's increasingly smaller slice if pie, not the large pirtion held by corporatists and banksters.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »
Middle class wages are stagnate also.

Looking at the real inflation rate ie including fuel, energy and food and combining it with wage stagnation paints an ugly picture.

There are jobs with good benefits that help balance it out but the general consensus is we are still in a prolonged period of middle class wage stagnation.

The market is so deformed right now that upper class and upper "middle class" folks are are the only ones gaining ground over true inflation.

As much as I hate to say it, allowing the minimum wage to be raised by government fiat will force the market to re-adjust the wages of lower middle class folks up. Wages for the lower middle class are very much influenced by the current floor.

The government has so damaged the market with all its taxes, regulations and other assorted distortions that I'm ambivalent about raising the minimum wage. It's no better or worse than all the other shenanigans they perpetrate. 

The other half of the equation is that the money in the savings accounts of the middle class will be decimated by inflation. Otoh, those who are carrying steep debt loads will benifit. 

Barack Obama

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
The other half of the equation is that the money in the savings accounts of the middle class will be decimated by inflation. Otoh, those who are carrying steep debt loads will benifit. 
Well, then, I wonder who carries the sternest debt load of all?  Could it be... I mean really, you don't think they would... Oh dear.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Well I've never knowingly voted for anyone who was in favor of raising the minimum wage. Despite my devils >:D advocacy in this thread I realize the economic damage it does.

Yet grass roots Republicans will support folks who do economic damage that is magnitudes worse on a regular basis. For proof of that just look at the power of the RINO's in the party. The grassroots have to be voting for these clowns in order for them to get elected. I know, I was part of the problem myself for decades, voting for the lesser evil.

So I guess we can vote for Republicans who favor market distortions, regulations, anti free market programs as long as the monied power brokers make money from the impact of those policies.

We melt down and decry those who vote for giving the poor, broken and dis-advantaged more than they've worked for while blindly voting for the tools of the banking and bureaucratic class, who are busy robbing the country blind under color of law.

The whole system is broken and I doubt there is any fixing it in any meaningful way.

I'd pull straight D every election out of spite toward the Republican traitor establishment just to hasten the end if it wasn't for the families of so many good people I know. I really don't want to see them have to live in the emerging cultural/economic dystopia any sooner than they have to  :'(

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:09:40 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 01:06:03 PM »
Voting for the lesser evil? The ratchet only works one way.

The Hegelian Mambo  (Progress Toward the Abyss )

Thesis step to the left,
Thesis step to the left,
Grab Antithesis on your right and step to the left,
Twirl around
Synthesize
cha cha cha
And step to the Left…

-anon-

brimic

• friends
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »
Voting for the lesser evil? The ratchet only works one way.

The Hegelian Mambo  (Progress Toward the Abyss )

Thesis step to the left,
Thesis step to the left,
Grab Antithesis on your right and step to the left,
Twirl around
Synthesize
cha cha cha
And step to the Left…

-anon-
Yep. Sad but true. That ratchet can only turn one way.... until the ratchet gets broken somehow.

Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
C'mon... it's close.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war