Author Topic: School district thinks bald is better than high&tight...  (Read 6281 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
School district thinks bald is better than high&tight...
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/26/school-named-after-war-hero-forces-child-to-shave-off-military-style-haircut/?intcmp=latestnews

Boy wants to have a haircut like his brother in the Army.  Principal deems it 'distracting', needing to be 'fixed'.  Result:  Boy gets even MORE military haircut(IE shaved bald).

While reading it I remember going "He's got a military style haircut, how do you propose to 'fix' that?  There's not enough hair left!"

The principal could have simply waited a couple weeks for the hair to grow out of regulations...

I'm also reminded that when it comes to things like hairdos and such, ANY change can be 'distracting' for about 5 minutes, then it goes away.  There are very few things that will be a constant source of distraction, as it'll simply become the new norm.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: School district thinks bald is better than high&tight...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
Huh. When i was in school about 1/2 the boys had that high and tight. Who did it distract? The primciple?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:37:58 PM »
Agreed on all counts.  I was amused that the principal thought replacing a high and tight with the hair cut all basic training Soldiers receive and that schools such as Ranger consider the standard was _less_ military.  And seriously, what elementary school students pay that much attention to hair cuts?

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »
Let em know what you think

Monti Hillis   hillism1@warrenschools.com   Principal

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »

High and Uptight

Sir:

I had a high & tight every day I was enlisted as a Ranger.  A fresh haircut every Sunday, according to regs.  Perhaps, some day, you can come on over and meet my Wahl clippers and we can broaden your horizons a bit?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »
A little Wahl to Wahl counseling?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:31:58 AM »
A little Wahl to Wahl counseling?

:rofl:

[barf]

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:18 AM »
“They shamed my son and they shamed a lot of military people – that’s how I feel about it,” Amy said. She also would like the school to apologize to her son.

Patton tried to shame a soldier and was ordered to apologize (and admit  that his behavior was both inappropriate and wrong) in front of each and every member of his Army.  Took him something like 20 formations to repeat himself to all of them.

Think how much easier it will be for the principal to stand up at morning formation assembly and say he is sorry he got caught.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:53 AM »

Thank you. Message sent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
The school system took down their facebook page
Rofl

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »
I tried to send this but apparently they have abandoned their email address:

Inflicting your prejudice about haircuts (or the military) is a distraction to real education.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
Kinda ironic in that the school is named after a MOH winner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
The David R. Ray branch medical clinic is but a few miles from me at Naval Station Everett.  I have read the plaque about HM2 Ray on the quarterdeck of the clinic.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Kinda ironic in that the school is named after a MOH winner reciepent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't "win"  the MOH, it is awarded.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
I'm going to make a wild guess that the principal was inundated with comments. I sent mine this morning -- came home to find this response:

Your message could not be delivered. The reason for the failure and the original message appear below.

Reason: The account for user, hillism1@warrenschools.com, has been warehoused.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
I tried to send this but apparently they have abandoned their email address:

Inflicting your prejudice about haircuts (or the military) is a distraction to real education.

What I find interesting is that military haircuts are generally considered conservative, at least for guys.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
and if there is one kid in school wearing a fade or dreadlocks, then by golly, I'd get an attorney and sue them to next year.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
... how is high and tight against school regs for boys haircuts? I want to read this school regulation.

I don't even think of that as a specific military haircut, because so many guys have it as just a standard guy haircut.
???

I'm pretty sure half the little boys I went to school with had that or similar haircuts. The other standard was the bowl cut. I imagine parents of little boys often take advantage of being able to chop it all off and avoid the hassle of hairstyling an active child.
God knows my mother often got mine chopped as short as she could get away with in order to avoid the battle of getting it combed out and acceptable for public.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
Reason: The account for user, hillism1@warrenschools.com, has been warehoused.

They need to warehouse the user, not the account.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
They need to warehouse the user, not the account.

From the story it looks like the principal is the scapegoat. The "military style haircut" rule is from the wchool board, the principal was just doing his/her job by enforcing it. I detest the notion but can't fault the action. The school board and it's orwellian policy is the target of my ire.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
From the story it looks like the principal is the scapegoat. The "military style haircut" rule is from the wchool board, the principal was just doing his/her job by enforcing it. I detest the notion but can't fault the action. The school board and it's orwellian policy is the target of my ire.

How can the rule have been implemented by the school board when the superintendent said there is no rule?

Has anyone found the actual text of the purported rule that was allegedly violated?

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
How can the rule have been implemented by the school board when the superintendent said there is no rule?

Has anyone found the actual text of the purported rule that was allegedly violated?

Searching the internet,
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/mar/28/elementary-principal-in-mcminnville-insists-military-haircut-is-mohawk-forces-2nd-haircut/295767/

Seems the kid's back to a 'high&tight' and the school's keeping it's mouth shut.  Probably because of the negative publicity and that there's not much room for a 'non-military' type haircut when you're starting from 'basically bald'. 

Oh, and this one says the principal thought it was a mohawk.  Hint principal, it's not a mohawk if the hair is standing straight up without the assistance of gel and such because it's so short.

The thing about military haircuts being against the rules were from several unattributed emails sent to the news.  So I'd say it's still unconfirmed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »
Searching the internet,
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/mar/28/elementary-principal-in-mcminnville-insists-military-haircut-is-mohawk-forces-2nd-haircut/295767/

Seems the kid's back to a 'high&tight' and the school's keeping it's mouth shut.  Probably because of the negative publicity and that there's not much room for a 'non-military' type haircut when you're starting from 'basically bald'. 

Oh, and this one says the principal thought it was a mohawk.  Hint principal, it's not a mohawk if the hair is standing straight up without the assistance of gel and such because it's so short.

The thing about military haircuts being against the rules were from several unattributed emails sent to the news.  So I'd say it's still unconfirmed.
Sounds like it is back to the principal being an idiot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 01:16:32 AM »
Sounds like it is back to the principal being an idiot. 

10-4

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
"In my day" by now the majority of the boys at that school would have had "high & tight" haircuts of their own.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain