Author Topic: Has anyone tried the "non-lead" bullet's?  (Read 1004 times)

mister

Has anyone tried the "non-lead" bullet's?
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:35:53 AM »
I"ve been reading about them on another Site.  They drop from a .45 swc mold at about 100 grs, or so I hear.  The guy touting them says that a 90 gr hollowbased version achieves over 2000 fps in a 4" barreled. .45 ACP.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:44:21 AM »
You mean like lead-free frangible rounds?  Or is this something different?  Post a link to this thing you read, if you don't mind.

mister

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 11:41:46 AM »
I don't remember where I read it, but I sw mention of it at several sites. Something about using non-lead solder as the casting alloy, which is nearly pure tin, I believe.  The quoted prices were pretty steep. Like 1.50 a bullet for the hollowbased versions.  2000 fps out of a .45 is pretty intriquing tho, and $60 for some bullets is a lot less of an investment than the $200 you'd probably lose in buying and selling an FN 5.7 after you decide it won't do anything that needs doing.  I hear tell that such .45 bullets are AP, too.

Aslan

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:36:52 PM »
But, Mister, you are that guy. Why the pretense and games? Why not just come out and explain why you think they are so hot?
I think you'd get more traction if you described them in detail and all the tests you've done with them.

Just MHO.

Preacherman

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:01:51 PM »
Rule #1 when looking at "something new" in bullet "technology":  DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

- If the idea was so good, it would have been taken up by the major ammo manufacturers long, long ago.  They don't invest millions of dollars in research, engineering and production just to keep old technology going, as shown by the vast improvement across the board in ammo over the past few decades.  If they haven't thought about it, the odds are pretty good that it's not worth their while.

- If extraordinary claims are made for a bullet, watch for those claims to be borne out by repeatable, measurable, verifiable testing by other ammo manufacturers and the gun rags.  If they don't (or can't) do such testing, don't believe the claims.

- If a bullet is claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread for training or self-defence or hunting, watch what the professionals are doing.  What are the guys at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch recommending for training ammo?  What are the cops using for self-defence?  What are professional hunters and/or guides recommending as the best hunting ammo?  If these folks are not recommending or using the overhyped new technology, there IS a reason, and it ain't good...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/