Author Topic: The perils of a "living wage"  (Read 7000 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
The perils of a "living wage"
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »
http://gothamist.com/2015/03/27/nyu_worker_can_u_spare_a_dime.php

Incoming NYU students can expect to shell out roughly $71,000 for tuition and expenses next year. An awful lot of that money is going to pay for administrators, President John Sexton's Fire Island beach house, and the pricey Manhattan real estate the university is sucking up like a satanic vacuum. So where will they find the money to educate these 18-year-old adult-lets, who can't possibly fathom what it means to enjoy a lifetime of crushing debt?
Trim the salaries of their top administrators, or at least stop handing out obscenely large bonuses? Quit opening satellites in foreign countries with dubious human rights records?
Or why not just appeal to the school's apparently underpaid staff to help out?
Here's an email that was sent to staff earlier this week:

Dear Colleagues,
Every day you show your dedication to our students. Today, I invite you to join me in giving those students an additional support. I invite you to make a gift for scholarships

Honestly, I can't recall when my flabber has been more gasted.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The perils of a "living wage"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »
Hey, look....Skid posted ANOTHER political thread for me to move...  :facepalm:

Dude. try and consider which forum you post to.  A lot of what you post falls under political commentary and should go to politics.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:14 PM »
Why is moronic chutzpah "politics"?  Just because I rerferenced that living wage thing?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
I'm not seeing it as politics, just stupidity, although that is a fine distinction.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:38:34 AM »
I don't know why I was being an ass but I read the post as a minimum wage post and skipped the meat.  I apologize for both.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
How are schools going to get too big to fail unless they get a little circular funding going on?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
Universities are going to need to start trimming their upper administration through less admins and reduced salaries.

Also there is this culture that you have to have a PhD to be an administrator, where someone with an MBA or lesser degree with sound accounting/managerial experience would be a much better choice.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
To many govt grants and govt backed student loans make it so there is no shortage of students and no pressure to keep costs under control. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
My son is going to be a freshman at the University of Oklahoma next fall.  While applying for his housing and other such the "bill" showed up.  I once had figured just tuition for four years would be right at $30,000.  Well the bill for one year, tuition, room & board, fees, books, and other expenses came to $23,000, give or take.   :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »
My son is going to be a freshman at the University of Oklahoma next fall.  While applying for his housing and other such the "bill" showed up.  I once had figured just tuition for four years would be right at $30,000.  Well the bill for one year, tuition, room & board, fees, books, and other expenses came to $23,000, give or take.   :facepalm:

This is why trade schools look better all the time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
Well he wants to study Meteorology, so he is going to go to the best school there is for that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
http://gothamist.com/2015/03/27/nyu_worker_can_u_spare_a_dime.php

Honestly, I can't recall when my flabber has been more gasted.

stay safe.

Oh.... crap. That's my stepdaughter's top choice for college starting this fall.

She applied to NYU, Cornell, James Madison University, Ithaca College, and George Mason University. Been accepted to GMU and Ithaca, waitlisted for some reason at JMU, and is IIRC a triple-legacy or better at Cornell (both parents and at least one grand-relative, can't remember which), so considering her pretty good grades and test scores and extracurriculars, she's probably getting accepted at Cornell. Her dad can pay for it, and they'd love to have another third-gen student to brag about in their promotional material. But while she'd be happy at Cornell, she REALLY wants NYU.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »

Just 1 semester in a total dump of a dorm, for my youngest, was $5K. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:29 AM »
Just 1 semester in a total dump of a dorm, for my youngest, was $5K. 

Room for my son for a semester is going to run around $3500.  It will be a 4 person suite.  The set up will be a common living area between two bedroom areas.  Each person has their own room and would share the bathroom with one other.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208803938

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
So what is apartment rent going for these days?  It was $450/mo about 20 years ago in College Station, TX.  Not sure what it is now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

That is on the high side of it, there is no reason why he can't do it for around $15k a year. Live off campus in an apartment with roommates, commute via bus/bicycle, pack a lunch everyday, buy used books, etc.

Why not two years at the local junior college first?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
So what is apartment rent going for these days?  It was $450/mo about 20 years ago in College Station, TX.  Not sure what it is now.

Off campus in Ames, IA (Iowa State University) runs about $450-500 a bedroom for apartments.

Uranus is a gas giant.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
That is on the high side of it, there is no reason why he can't do it for around $15k a year. Live off campus in an apartment with roommates, commute via bus/bicycle, pack a lunch everyday, buy used books, etc.

Why not two years at the local junior college first?

We considered the two years at Tulsa Community College, which would be almost free, since he is going to be either the Valedictorian or the Salutatorian, OU gives out a $10,000 tuition waver for those.  Secondly with his field of study they prefer that they do all of that at OU so they can be better guided on their path.

As for living off post, Freshman are required to live in the dorms unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
We considered the two years at Tulsa Community College, which would be almost free, since he is going to be either the Valedictorian or the Salutatorian, OU gives out a $10,000 tuition waver for those.  Secondly with his field of study they prefer that they do all of that at OU so they can be better guided on their path.

As for living off post, Freshman are required to live in the dorms unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise.

They prefer that you shell out for courses that are cheaper to offer before your son takes the more expensive to offer classes particular to meteorology.  Thin "auditorium full of students for calc, chem, physics" versus "small room with 10 meteorology majors." I doubt there is a "calculus for meteorologists" or "Intro to Calculus based Physics for meteorology majors" class that provides any more content than Calc I and Physics I at the local JC.

I would get the course listing and take as much of it as the JC as UO says they will transfer.

Yet another way to milk $$$ from students' parents with zero benefit to the student.  Unless you consider rooming with a bunch of folks who will drink themselves out of college in their freshman year a benefit. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:48:15 AM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Kids gonna be a meteorologist? If he gets near north Atlanta holler I will get old man to buy him lunch. Dad always wished one of us would follow him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
We considered the two years at Tulsa Community College, which would be almost free, since he is going to be either the Valedictorian or the Salutatorian, OU gives out a $10,000 tuition waver for those.  Secondly with his field of study they prefer that they do all of that at OU so they can be better guided on their path.

Do you have post 9/11 GI bill and can you transfer it? Working on transferring 24 months of my benefit to the 7 year old.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
Kids gonna be a meteorologist? If he gets near north Atlanta holler I will get old man to buy him lunch. Dad always wished one of us would follow him

At least 4-5 years away from him doing anything in the field but he wants to be on the research side of things.

Do you have post 9/11 GI bill and can you transfer it? Working on transferring 24 months of my benefit to the 7 year old.

I've thought about that but I would have to extend out at this point in time almost another year to have the 4 years left to transfer.  I'm a 18 months or so from 20 years.  Big decision to make at this time.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Dad was a research guy for 30 plus years he will get a kick outa hearing about your son.  He likes to talk about using a slide rule then using punch cards

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »

They all say that.

Go to the meteorology's department website and check out the transfer plans. Normally you can transfer up to 65 credits from a junior college to a state school.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »
They all say that.

Go to the meteorology's department website and check out the transfer plans. Normally you can transfer up to 65 credits from a junior college to a state school.
Also, the junior college will have a list of their classes, what transfers to that school, and what the equivilent course is at the 4 year school.  Just get the degree plan and stick with those required classes.  Honestly, in the freshman year, most all the classes are common and the same as what would be taken at any school. 

I went to Junior College for 2 years before transfer to Texas A&M.  I was Mechanical Engineering.  The only issues I remember:  1) gap between JUCO calculus and Diff Equations and actually using that in higher level classes, 2) the drafting class at JUCO was all pencil and ruler, no AutoCAD (doubt that is an issue now), 3) a few of the classes at JUCO such as basic Physics were not as demanding.  All the english and history classes were all the same.  I avoided many of the "weed out" classes where a lot of students hit a brick wall.  Calculus 1 at A&M was a 200 person lecture room and the professor doesn't care if you can't keep up.  The JUCO class I took had probably 20 people.